PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny D Announcement Official Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny D Announcement Official Thread

Postby redpony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 pm

gee- I figured you'd now be beatching that the ipf was only 80 yds long.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm

My favorite part was when he said very sincerely that he was going to sit down with Ben, and Ben is going to teach him the offense. That's a little sketch right before the bowl game, but I guess that's the reality of it at this point.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

redpony wrote:gee- I figured you'd now be beatching that the ipf was only 80 yds long.

Gotta take whatever you can get at this point.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

"9-3 in the WAC and 8-5 in mediocre PAC12"

9-3 in the WAC got him a job at Cal which had invested $320M in its stadium and $150M in a performance center. Is that close to an AAC school's investment?

Dykes peaked at 8-5 in the Pac-12 and they were ranked in the top 25 for three weeks. What head coach that had his team ranked was in the running for this job? Sumlin? Nope.

Meanwhile, Dykes was also charged with improving Cal's woeful APR. My guess is that the SMU admin was also impressed with that aspect of Dykes' background. It's not a popular thing with fans but is important for recruiting and the university's mission.

Who should've been hired for $2M+? Maybe the frustration is that the Ponies were going to throw dumb money at the situation that they don't have.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
GoMustAAngs2007 wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I wish I was there. I would be boo-ing lol. That'll bring them down to reality that we all live in.

You need to decompress a bit, both here and on Twitter. We get it, you aren't a fan of the hire. Coach Dykes said all the right things in that press conference. It sounds like the meeting with the players was rough, but that's understandable.

If in year 3 he is going 2-10 with no hope in sight, then sure, let's boo and ask for a change. Until then, let's get through the bowl game and enjoy some SMU basketball.

Agree about enjoying some SMU basketball. That we actually have going for us. It would be a killer if there was news of Jank leaving.

After today, yes I'll accept the fact that Hart and company thought they made an amazing hire and that they really earned their paychecks today. Any time I see, "this was a great hire" comment, it just makes me :roll:

Jank was at Coach Dykes Presser today. He looked happy.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:That's fine again. No one has really posted any quantitatively exciting. The only thing so far is: he's from Texas, he's an offensive guy, and he made a good speech. I'm looking at LA Tech's recruiting classes when he was a coach and they were between 95-110. For a guy that's from Texas, you would expect a little better recruiting classes. His first year I believe was his best and it trailed downward, remind you of anyone (JJ)? Cal recruiting classes were fine and consistent but that had the P5 effect. That's why I don't get why people say, "He had a tough time being away from Texas" when his classes were substantially worse at LA Tech. Please let me know what I'm missing here. Before anyone says recruiting isn't everything, I'll happily point to JJ.

2010 - #81
2011 - #113
2012 - #98

2013 - #41
2014 - #55
2015 - #34 (I'll give him kudos on a substantial improvement)
2016 - #31

It's fair again to say we are going to be more towards LA Tech (G5 effect) than Cal. I'm guessing nobody is concerned with 2010-2012 period then.

Did you take 2 minutes to look at who he won games against at La Tech and at Cal?

I think Dykes beat more P5 teams at LA Tech in one year than Chad and June Combined over 7 years.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

SMUfrat wrote:Wow, our administration is certainly proud of themselves.

How many congratulatory BS is necessary? Seems excessive.

I giggle at the real world
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm

PT, I've already committed to the #FindSomethingPositive. My criticism isn't on the coaching as much as it is on recruiting. Recruitment builds long-term growth. A few good wins is great short-term but you have to capitalize it with a YoY increase in class rankings.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:PT, I've already committed to the #FindSomethingPositive. My criticism isn't on the coaching as much as it is on recruiting. Recruitment builds long-term growth. A few good wins is great short-term but you have to capitalize it with a YoY increase in class rankings.

Well according to some La Tech fans, Dykes worked his magic there with a few JUCO transfers and as soon as he left, he sort of left the cupboard bare. Conversely, at Berkeley, his big recruiting wins is dealing with the APR restrictions and getting a class in the 30s. So all of that to say.... he hasn't been anywhere long enough for us to really have a feel for his recruiting.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Comet wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:PT, I've already committed to the #FindSomethingPositive. My criticism isn't on the coaching as much as it is on recruiting. Recruitment builds long-term growth. A few good wins is great short-term but you have to capitalize it with a YoY increase in class rankings.

Well according to some La Tech fans, Dykes worked his magic there with a few JUCO transfers and as soon as he left, he sort of left the cupboard bare. Conversely, at Berkeley, his big recruiting wins is dealing with the APR restrictions and getting a class in the 30s. So all of that to say.... he hasn't been anywhere long enough for us to really have a feel for his recruiting.

I guess we will see.. btw you need to update your signature. I don't think you trust Morris. :D
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Dykes came across as much more sincere than the scripted, used car salesman Morris at Arky intro
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Comet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:11 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I guess we will see.. btw you need to update your signature. I don't think you trust Morris. :D

I still trust him.... to do what's right for him and Arky. touche
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 pm

footballdad wrote:much more sincere than the scripted, used car salesman Morris at Arky intro

LoL
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 pm

BOOM! It's a great day to be a Mustang. Sonny days ahead. [I really hated those stupid BOOM tweets.]
MV pony
All-American

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:24 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Look if you guys think we got a great coach, great. I'll focus on the one good news for football which is that we actually got a date for the IPF. Hopefully that helps with recruiting and future coach selections. Hopefully they can find the 20% funds needed to finish.

If you want a seat at the big boy table that makes these coaching decisions, why don't you make a big donation?

Otherwise, for the love of God, stop posting.
PerunasHoof
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football