PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny D Announcement Official Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny D Announcement Official Thread

Postby Big Hoss » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Sonny also got La Tech into the top 25 rankings at one point. Something that hasn't been done here in how long?

I'm not blown away by the hire, but I like what I hear from the guy and I'm going to give him a chance to produce results.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Look if you guys think we got a great coach, great. I'll focus on the one good news for football which is that we actually got a date for the IPF. Hopefully that helps with recruiting and future coach selections. Hopefully they can find the 20% funds needed to finish.

If you want a seat at the big boy table that makes these coaching decisions, why don't you make a big donation?

Otherwise, for the love of God, stop posting.

Calm down. It's called criticism. It's a pretty normal thing. If anything, maybe produce a comment worth mentioning? That would be fantastic for you!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Is there a link to the full SD intro and his comments....only finding Q&A on youtube.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Comet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

JoeKidd wrote:Is there a link to the full SD intro and his comments....only finding Q&A on youtube.

https://www.facebook.com/events/5508147 ... 7413128578
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby ReedFrawg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Look if you guys think we got a great coach, great. I'll focus on the one good news for football which is that we actually got a date for the IPF. Hopefully that helps with recruiting and future coach selections. Hopefully they can find the 20% funds needed to finish.

I'm reading this forum and haven't seen one poster say they think "we got a great coach". Stop making stuff up.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:41 pm

If we don’t get a good DC we will be exactly back to where we’ve always been. I’ll [Gary Patterson] when the hire is made.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:44 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:

I'm reading this forum and haven't seen one poster say they think "we got a great coach". Stop making stuff up.

2 seconds and found: "by SMUGradCox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm

I give it a B. It's certainly not a splashy "holy sh*t" hire. But I think all things considered it's a good move. SMU still has a ways to go before we're a strong enough program to attract a top name or a top emerging name. "

TCU Fan = Fake News :D
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ReedFrawg » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
ReedFrawg wrote:

2 seconds and found: "by SMUGradCox » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm

I give it a B. It's certainly not a splashy "holy sh*t" hire. But I think all things considered it's a good move. SMU still has a ways to go before we're a strong enough program to attract a top name or a top emerging name. "

TCU Fan = Fake News :D

Still didn't say "great coach". I would be kinda meh on the hire as well but not sure what other viable options were out there (and willing to take the job).
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Mustang1980 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 pm

skyscraper wrote:No one on this board is gushing. Everyone here is pretty much just hoping for the best. Everyone is going to mute you if you keep ranting.

Already done
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:

Thank you.

BTW Reed, being a frog and all, any insights you can give us on Sonny?
SoCal_Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 pm

If you haven't watched the introduction program on Youtube (link posted above) I encourage you to do so. Dykes was extremely heartfelt and used very little "coach speak", something that had begun to wear on me from Morris. I wish him well in a difficult first year and recruiting situation. I am much more optimistic after listening to him than I was before. Especially liked his comments on how much he learned defensively from Patterson in his year at TCU. "Defense is like good pitching in baseball, it always trumps good hitting."
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Julian Grendel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Ryan Hyatt is a sports radio personality in Lubbock. Been doing his thing for 20 years or so.

Comments on Sonny from his podcast
https://theraiderland.com/smu-set-to-hi ... uick-hits/
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

When you preface something with “all things considered” what follows is not generally a ringing endorsement. Just like “I don’t mean to be racist” is generally followed by a racist statement.
SMUer

Postby Phxfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Phil Bennett has left the ASU program for personal & health reasons.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby Black Horseshoe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Phxfan wrote:Phil Bennett has left the ASU program for personal & health reasons.

He will end up close by
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football