PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Technical questions about Sonny D's offense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Technical questions about Sonny D's offense

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Thinking about Sonny D's offensive (since we don't have a DC yet), I have questions for the more technically proficient football fans among us…

— What are the key differences between the Dykes and Morris offensive schemes?

— Are certain offensive positions emphasized more/less in his scheme? Are the position(s) that we were strongest/weakest at under Morris the same or different with Dykes?

— How do our current players stack up in the Dykes system? Are they compatible, or are we going to be playing a bunch of redshirt freshman the next few years while he brings in players that better fit his system?

— If it was the "Bear Raid" at Cal, what's he gonna call it at SMU? Pony Raid? (Sounds too much like "panty raid" for me) Peruna Raid? Mustang Raid?
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Re: Technical questions about Sonny D's offense

Postby TidePony » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Dykes told the players last night that they would be sticking with Chad’s offense.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Just for the bowl
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Cal football: A brief Bear Raid guide

An analysis of the Bear Raid offense and how it works. Or at least how it’s supposed to, as shown with Cal and Louisiana Tech clips.

https://www.pacifictakes.com/2014/8/24/ ... lden-bears
deucetz
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Cumbie went to TCU with a background in the air raid offense and modified it to be more of a run first spread.

I suspect part of the reason Dykes went to TCU was to do the same thing - adopt a vertical spread.

I don't know that he is going to quite adopt the "power spread" that Chad was recruiting for and was going to run next year. But I suspect it will be similar.

Typically, I would say he is going to adopt a version of the spread with less emphasis on the TE/HB. But the strength of our WR and challenges at OL forced Chad to restrict the use of the TE than he normally would. So what we may see is very similar in that regard, except more of a traditional TE than H-back. In fact, might get more out of Rau and Becker.
JasonB

Postby freqz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:59 pm

aus10fromhous10 wrote:
— If it was the "Bear Raid" at Cal, what's he gonna call it at SMU? Pony Raid? (Sounds too much like "panty raid" for me) Peruna Raid? Mustang Raid?

Well after the Pony Express you got...Air Mail! That'll strike fear in defenses hearts the nation over.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:07 pm

I would simply call it The Stampede
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm

JasonB wrote:Typically, I would say he is going to adopt a version of the spread with less emphasis on the TE/HB. But the strength of our WR and challenges at OL forced Chad to restrict the use of the TE than he normally would. So what we may see is very similar in that regard, except more of a traditional TE than H-back. In fact, might get more out of Rau and Becker.

This is helpful, thanks
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby ozfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 am

mrydel wrote:I would simply call it The Stampede

Thaat will do me.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby SMUGradCox » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 am

JasonB wrote:Cumbie went to TCU with a background in the air raid offense and modified it to be more of a run first spread.

I suspect part of the reason Dykes went to TCU was to do the same thing - adopt a vertical spread.

I don't know that he is going to quite adopt the "power spread" that Chad was recruiting for and was going to run next year. But I suspect it will be similar.

Typically, I would say he is going to adopt a version of the spread with less emphasis on the TE/HB. But the strength of our WR and challenges at OL forced Chad to restrict the use of the TE than he normally would. So what we may see is very similar in that regard, except more of a traditional TE than H-back. In fact, might get more out of Rau and Becker.

Do you really think we will see a traditional TE in his O? I thought one of the big things in the "air raid" offense was a less traditional TE and a more athletic, receiving TE?
SMUGradCox
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am

Is this going to be the no huddle "up tempo" type offense that Chad had in mind (but quite frankly rarely happened in reality)? Or more like the June Jones huddle at the bench while he told you the play?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

EastStang wrote:Is this going to be the no huddle "up tempo" type offense that Chad had in mind (but quite frankly rarely happened in reality)?

Yes, expect around 80 plays per game.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:33 pm

I predict we will see a lot of influence from his time at TCU and incorporation of TE into the scheme.
JasonB

Return to Football