PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Staff

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am

leopold wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Rich Crawford: These are the stats of the Defenses - #27, #40, #62, #70 and that was playing Baylor, Tech, TCU & A&M every year. Multiple NFL players. He also taught of all of us how to be successful men. #BringCoachMasonBack... @SMU_Football and @ad_rickhart

Okay. Not to troll, but first of all I see a solid downward pattern there. And second, there is NO way those seasons include the final season when he was HC/DC and there were only two games our opponents scored less than 40 points on us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_SMU_ ... tball_team

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but whatever momentum he had going those first couple of years evaporated quick. We need to look in another direction.

Just reporting not providing an opinion. I’m curious what people here think versus what ex-mustang players are advocating.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 am

Mason is 10x the coach as that turd Malone
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ozfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:29 am

footballdad wrote:Mason is 10x the coach as that turd Malone

His defense went 0-12 at utep this year
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 am

ozfan wrote:
footballdad wrote:Mason is 10x the coach as that turd Malone

His defense went 0-12 at utep this year

Don't confuse him with facts, but, if you think about it, 10X0=0.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby BUS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 am

IMO: Mason did well with Bennetts recruits. As the talent left due to MOSTLY JJ guys getting ships. Mason did the best he could.

With a balanced recruiting program I think Mason could do quite well. Yes, and a good Man.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Comet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:45 am

Mason is a good guy and his players respected him. He, however, is not great at recruiting whatsoever. If you could bring in some studs, I have faith in him being able to produce some good defenses. But this is college football, you kinda need it all.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:36 am

Is Adrian Klemm toxic now - or is that a realistic option?

(Someone brought his name up as a joke in another thread - but he might be the best of the bunch on any of our former staff - coached so many future NFLers and he could recruit).
Last edited by PonyTime on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:36 am

Coach Mason would do a great job. He was like the only coach recruiting at the end of the Jones era. That is an uphill battle when it's made a one man job. In regards to the 0-10 UTEP season. The leading scorer on that team was a safety with 3 touchdowns. No, the player did not play both ways or on special teams. Let that sink in a little. Tells you something about the offense at UTEP this past season.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 am

So the continual debate on PFs over these past 3 years has been is Van a terrible coach or did he simply inherit no players.

Now we are discussing keeping Van in some capacity or rehiring the person who left the cupboard bare? Gottcha.

Here’s a novel thought. Let’s take a pass on BOTH of them.

And while we are at it, if Ramon’s only qualification is he wore a Mustang on his helmet, let’s take a pass on him as well.
SoCal_Pony

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am

PonyTime wrote:Is Adrian Klemm toxic now - or is that a realistic option?

(Someone brought his name up as a joke in another thread - but he might be the best of the bunch on any of our former staff - coached so many future NFLers and he could recruit).

"Klemm now is under a show-cause order until Sept. 15, 2018. If UCLA continues to employ him or another school hires him during this period, it must appear in front of the Committee on Infractions to show why restrictions on his coaching activities should not apply and submit a plan for oversight of his activities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /90496560/
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 am

So many bad ideas in one thread
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:So the continual debate on PFs over these past 3 years has been is Van a terrible coach or did he simply inherit no players.

Now we are discussing keeping Van in some capacity or rehiring the person who left the cupboard bare? Gottcha.

And while we are at it, if Ramon’s only qualification is he wore a Mustang on his helmet, let’s take a pass on him as well.

Ramon has worked the last year on bringing former players back into the fold. That can relate to not only a revival of some attendance but also donations as some of our former players do have a little bit of money to spend. He also has past coaching experience as an OC. I am not in position to grade his coaching ability but have witnessed first hand his outreach and it is a very worthy effort, and will pay dividends.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 am

sbsmith wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Is Adrian Klemm toxic now - or is that a realistic option?

"Klemm now is under a show-cause order until Sept. 15, 2018. If UCLA continues to employ him or another school hires him during this period, it must appear in front of the Committee on Infractions to show why restrictions on his coaching activities should not apply and submit a plan for oversight of his activities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /90496560/

So he is available on September 16th of next year. Got it.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am

mrydel wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:So the continual debate on PFs over these past 3 years has been is Van a terrible coach or did he simply inherit no players.

Ramon has worked the last year on bringing former players back into the fold. That can relate to not only a revival of some attendance but also donations as some of our former players do have a little bit of money to spend. He also has past coaching experience as an OC. I am not in position to grade his coaching ability but have witnessed first hand his outreach and it is a very worthy effort, and will pay dividends.

He is a significant asset to the program. The engagement of those alums is helpful in a lot of ways. We need those NFLers involved!

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 am

It looks like Trey Haverty is the first addition to the staff.

https://twitter.com/TreyHaverty/status/ ... 5777665025
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football