PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

Postby Comet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Comet wrote:Well he did pull the #31 recruiting class at freaking Cal one year. So he's got potential, let's see it materialize.

P5 effect + he was probably selling playing time which I think historically a coach always has an uplift in his first year and then levels out unless he starts winning big big games.

I don't buy that. If this was the case why isn't Cal a consistent top 30 class? There are 65 P5 teams.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am

HubbaHubba wrote:
Stallion wrote:The only thing holding back Chad Morris and staff in recruiting was a fanbase-this will become quite evident soon. And yes he did an outstanding job recruiting off 1, 2 and 5 wins

Evident how? With increased fan support Dykes will be a recruiting guru? Or do you mean a bunch of loons wearing plastic pig hats will make Chad a more successful recruiter (maybe being an SEC school might help a little)?

Ponyfans will now become Stallion's forum to constantly update everyone on how great Morris doing. :roll:

The fanbase was holding Chad back........6+ wins is a requirement to recruit well.......his recruiting was 'outstanding' (although the rankings say otherwise)......yada......yada......yada

Nobody wants to hear about Arky Chad anymore. Go buy a pig hat, and take your love affair with Morris over to the pig sites. They'll be enthralled with your groupie Chad tout stories, 8 hours a day. :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 am

Your Son's mind was a terrible thing to waste on a 3rd class education
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 am

Stallion wrote:Your Son's mind was a terrible thing to waste on a 3rd class education

:lol: Pig Sooie!!! Guarantee you're already signed up for multiple Razorback boards, haha. Your screen time just doubled now that you have to follow 2 programs. It's like a full time job for you. :wink:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Comet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Not much different than spending time on a school's sports forums for which you have no liking for.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 pm

footballdad wrote:
Stallion wrote:Your Son's mind was a terrible thing to waste on a 3rd class education

:lol: Pig Sooie!!! Guarantee you're already signed up for multiple Razorback boards, haha. Your screen time just doubled now that you have to follow 2 programs. It's like a full time job for you. :wink:

I went to more SMU games by kindergarten than you've been to in your life
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby White Helmet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:49 pm

bklem wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:
bklem wrote:Sonny is liked and respected among the Tx HS coaches. We will be iour own if he can get solid Texas guys in here to recruit.

Coach Klemm is that you? Coming on board to recruit for us?

Well I have been a HS coach (18 yrs) and my last name does begin with Klem but I bet you are talking about a different Klemm. I'm out of the coaching/recruiting gig now. Just teach a little English down in Comfort Texas.

Just make sure you don’t park in Coach’s parking spot when you get to campus.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I asked two HS head coaches that attend our church...Neither of them got a sniff of SMU while June was our HC, even after sending material on behalf of three kids that play D1 now. Chad sent folks, and they were consistent and professional. It built back a long-absent relationship.

I asked if they knew Dykes, and both said they had met him at clinics and through La Tech/TCU connections. Both said that they liked him personally, and one ventured that we will be happy to have him.

I took that as "good news" re the OP's question
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm

No reason to dog on Morris - he put a ton of effort into recruiting, and we see the benefit in skill positions and QB. We are going to see the benefit of his OL recruiting for the next 3 years. I suspect you will see better performance of his defensive recruits when the new staff comes in.
JasonB

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:14 pm

peruna81 wrote:I asked two HS head coaches that attend our church...Neither of them got a sniff of SMU while June was our HC, even after sending material on behalf of three kids that play D1 now. Chad sent folks, and they were consistent and professional. It built back a long-absent relationship.

I asked if they knew Dykes, and both said they had met him at clinics and through La Tech/TCU connections. Both said that they liked him personally, and one ventured that we will be happy to have him.

I took that as "good news" re the OP's question

Thanks for the inside scoop. Don't want to denigrate Chad's recruiting though with all his hype I was (foolishly) hoping for Ron Meyeresque results.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 pm

He outdid Ron Meyer's first 3 years easily

Ron Meyer never finished in Top half of the SWC in recruiting in his first 3 years, never went to a bowl, never had a winning record, only improved his team's record a + 1/2 game in 3 years from his predecessor. Laughable. What are you looking at?

Stallion

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Stallion wrote:He outdid Ron Meyer's first 3 years easily

Ron Meyer never finished in Top half of the SWC in recruiting in his first 3 years, never went to a bowl, never had a winning record, only improved his team's record a + 1/2 game in 3 years from his predecessor. Laughable. What are you looking at?

You're right. Ron Meyer sucked :roll:
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Stallion wrote:He outdid Ron Meyer's first 3 years easily

Funny how you list all of the accomplishments but fail to compare apples to apples. The SWC was a tougher conference than the AAC so how did they compare nationally? The SWC schedule was tougher so it took longer to acquire the talent necessary to beat those teams. In year 3 under Chad we managed to win 7 games because we had the softest schedule we have had in years. Most of the 7 games we won were against lousy teams whereas the 5 played against solid opponents were losses. We landed a bowl game because we are in the everyonegoestoabowlgame.com era. Yes, Chad did a solid job but let's not get carried away. He was not better than Ron Meyer.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 pm

And Ron Meyer was recruiting as a SWC team- a Top National Conference for 50 years with the resulting reputation. So Ron Meyer should be compared to SWC teams while Chad Morris should be compared to AAC teams which btw include a Top 10 team and 2 others in Top 25

I worked for the Athletic Department at the time and loved the guy-but come on he only improved the record by +1/2 game. He was

3-8
4-7
4-6-1

his predecessor was 4-7. So where was the improvement from his predecessor. It actually took 5 years for Meyer to get to a Bowl-he was only 5-6 in Year 4. Fact is that it takes a lot longer than some of you experts think for total rebuild which I have cautioned all along. I had patience under Meyer when I'm sure if there was an internet back then guys like you would want him fired a couple of months before he signed the Pony Express who didn't commit to SMU until about 4 and 8 weeks after his 3rd season

Stallion

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 pm

bklem wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:
bklem wrote:Sonny is liked and respected among the Tx HS coaches. We will be iour own if he can get solid Texas guys in here to recruit.

Coach Klemm is that you? Coming on board to recruit for us?

Well I have been a HS coach (18 yrs) and my last name does begin with Klem but I bet you are talking about a different Klemm. I'm out of the coaching/recruiting gig now. Just teach a little English down in Comfort Texas.

Comfort is one of the true "jewels" of Texas . I lived in Fischer , Texas for several years and enjoyed several jaunts
over to Comfort.
ponypatrick
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football