PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 am

Anyone know if Dykes is liked and respected by the TX high school coaches. I saw one tweet in another thread but I wondered if that was just welcome the new guy stuff. Chad reportedly was loved (JJ reportedly loathed) but recruiting was not amazing. Are we stepping forward, holding our own or losing ground in the swaying the HS coaches to help our cause?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Re: Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

Postby bklem » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 am

Sonny is liked and respected among the Tx HS coaches. We will be iour own if he can get solid Texas guys in here to recruit.
bklem

Postby SMUer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:08 am

I think our reputation as a school in the reports back from our student athletes are much more important then Sonny’s reputation with high school coaches. A coach is like a carb salesman; he can sell a great product, or even up-sell and mediocre product, but if the product sucks no one‘s going to buy a car that they don’t like or want, no matter how good the reputation of the salesman. We have slowly build up a reputation of taking local talent and elevating them to high levels and even NFL prospect status, which we have to continue. If coaches don’t feel like our coaches will make their players successful, why would they send them to us? The other aspect I would be much more concerned about is how well integrated or student athletes feel with the general student population. I think isolating athletes in mouth Illini was a bad decision by the administration because I definitely know an experienced athletes being frustrated by feeling like outsiders at our school. I’m not picking Arkansas for comparison on purpose, but when they did the life of the athlete episode on ESPNU, their athletes seemed like they were just one of the other students in the way they were treated as they’re walking down the blvd, who they were rooming with, and how tgey were treated in the classroom. if I was a player I’d be much more happy that situation. I know their new standards like specialty cafeterias for calorie intake for athletes that can’t be avoided anymore, and of course athletes schedules are crazy and much different than a journal student, but as much as we can put our athletes into regular classrooms and make them feel like regular students, I think the happier they will be in the better reports back to the coaches they will give.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 am

Again and this new landscape I think our goal should be to stab wish a brand for self that is independent of who her coaches, because that will change frequently. I’d like students to choose SMU because it’s SMU and for them to know what kind of experience there likely to have new matter who the coachis
SMUer

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:28 am

bklem wrote:Sonny is liked and respected among the Tx HS coaches. We will be iour own if he can get solid Texas guys in here to recruit.

Coach Klemm is that you? Coming on board to recruit for us?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

The only thing holding back Chad Morris and staff in recruiting was a fanbase-this will become quite evident soon. And yes he did an outstanding job recruiting off 1, 2 and 5 wins
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 am

Stallion wrote:The only thing holding back Chad Morris and staff in recruiting was a fanbase-this will become quite evident soon. And yes he did an outstanding job recruiting off 1, 2 and 5 wins

Evident how? With increased fan support Dykes will be a recruiting guru? Or do you mean a bunch of loons wearing plastic pig hats will make Chad a more successful recruiter (maybe being an SEC school might help a little)?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby bklem » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 am

HubbaHubba wrote:
bklem wrote:Sonny is liked and respected among the Tx HS coaches. We will be iour own if he can get solid Texas guys in here to recruit.

Coach Klemm is that you? Coming on board to recruit for us?

Well I have been a HS coach (18 yrs) and my last name does begin with Klem but I bet you are talking about a different Klemm. I'm out of the coaching/recruiting gig now. Just teach a little English down in Comfort Texas.
bklem

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am

for one thing his staff will outwork everybody else. Within days of being hired at SMU he had discovered and targeted 2 RBs who would run for 1,000 yards in a season (Xavier and Braden) , a QB that may break every record in SMU History (Hicks) to early enroll and convinced a de-commitment to jump back on board (Proche) who has put up among the best receiving numbers in SMU History in his first 2 years. That's recruiting, that's hustle. He recruited half his Offense within weeks of setting foot in SMU's office and he targeted them immediately. I don't even think Hicks, Xavier or Braeden were even on SMU's recruiting board and I'm sure Morris had never met Proche.

Let's compare how fast Dykes can put his staff together and saturate the recruiting trail like Morris and staff did
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby docabel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 am

Stallion wrote:for one thing his staff will outwork everybody else. Within days of being hired at SMU he had discovered and targeted 2 RBs who would run for 1,000 yards in a season (Xavier and Braden) , a QB that may break every record in SMU History (Hicks) and convinced a de-commitment to jump back on board (Proche) who has put up among the best receiving numbers in SMU History in his first 2 years. That's recruiting, that's hustle. Let's compare how fast Dykes can put his staff together and saturate the recruiting trail like Morris and staff did

Probably not fair to compare the two.

Morris was hired much earlier in the year as well as coming in with assistants (Craddock) already who had worked with him for years.

Dykes is coming in very late in the recruiting game and not only needs to find and hire his assistants, also is coaching a bowl game in one week with players he has just met yesterday.

Not arguing that Morris wasn't a tireless worker, but probably not fair to pass final judgment on Dykes based on this year.
docabel
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:09 am

I said "Let's see"-meaning I haven't drawn conclusions yet just noting some of the reasons Morris is a great recruiter

Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:12 am

If Sonny hadn’t already thought of a staff, even before SMU interviewed him, then shame on him.

Everyone understands the importance of recruiting and everyone knows the new signing date.

I do think it will be telling how quickly we hear of this new staff’s recruiting efforts.

Tick Tock Tick Tock.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Comet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 am

Well he did pull the #31 recruiting class at freaking Cal one year. So he's got potential, let's see it materialize.
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:16 am

Comet wrote:Well he did pull the #31 recruiting class at freaking Cal one year. So he's got potential, let's see it materialize.

P5 effect + he was probably selling playing time which I think historically a coach always has an uplift in his first year and then levels out unless he starts winning big big games.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ebrooks11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:20 am

Stallion wrote:for one thing his staff will outwork everybody else. Within days of being hired at SMU he had discovered and targeted 2 RBs who would run for 1,000 yards in a season (Xavier and Braden) , a QB that may break every record in SMU History (Hicks) to early enroll and convinced a de-commitment to jump back on board (Proche) who has put up among the best receiving numbers in SMU History in his first 2 years. That's recruiting, that's hustle. He recruited half his Offense within weeks of setting foot in SMU's office and he targeted them immediately. I don't even think Hicks, Xavier or Braeden were even on SMU's recruiting board and I'm sure Morris had never met Proche.

Let's compare how fast Dykes can put his staff together and saturate the recruiting trail like Morris and staff did

Serious question, since that first year who has he signed that looks like a game changer? I believe all 4 you mentioned were off of 1-11 record but the next 2 years I cant seem to find many studs. I know its early but of all of our playmakers besides Quinn are June leftovers or Morris 1st year. Other than Hicks, which has won me over he has really missed on QB's even though he had the fact that he coached Deshuan Watson to tell recruits. He couldn't hold on to Moore or Brewer and it looks like Gillens and Peavy might have transferred because they really weren't all that good. There is no doubting Morris and his ability to put in the work but his classes just seem a little better than Junes. He proved to be an excellent evaluator with giving some of the kids their first offer only to have a bunch of P5 offers come following. But if you cant hang on to those kids it doesn't really matter if you were the first to see something in them.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Next

Return to Football