PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny's reputation with HS coaches?

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:54 am

This shouldn't be a zero sum game. It's ok to like CM and wish him well, while at the same time, supporting SD in hopes that he takes us to where we'd all like to go.
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby ponyboy101 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 am

are we seriously debating Chad vs Meyer??? Meyer is the best coach SMU has ever had. He made us a top tier program and might I remind you recruited Eric Dickerson? Chad never even landed a 4 star.
also was 0-5 vs P5 and was average at best coach in the American conference, with 1 solid win in 3 years coming against Houston
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby peruna81 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 am

Sometimes folks here complain like they have been hung with a new rope.

Dykes. He is our coach now, and has the ability to sustain the progress on offense while a GOLDEN chance to bring the defense into some type of proportional line.

Plus the man wants to get busy and coach the bowl game. I already like the change.

Until we have a few more National Championship skins on the wall, let's not get too seriously into the "he is like Meyer" debate. We aren't Bama. He wasn't Bear. Meyer WAS the perfect coach at the right time for SMU football....this is a different time.

Nicely done, AD Hart on the hire.
Last edited by peruna81 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

FIVE-O-FAN wrote:This shouldn't be a zero sum game. It's ok to like CM and wish him well, while at the same time, supporting SD in hopes that he takes us to where we'd all like to go.

That's a very mature point but maturity goes out the window in these situations because fans tend to be blinded by naivete and bitterness.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby geno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 am

ponyboy101 wrote:are we seriously debating Chad vs Meyer??? Meyer is the best coach SMU has ever had. He made us a top tier program and might I remind you recruited Eric Dickerson? Chad never even landed a 4 star.
also was 0-5 vs P5 and was average at best coach in the American conference, with 1 solid win in 3 years coming against Houston

You're right. He was great. BUT, here's how Wikipedia puts it:

Ron Meyer’s recruiting strategy was very aggressive. He pursued and attracted the finest football players from all of Texas. Not all of his players were acquired the ethical way, however; his recruiting staff was paying recruits, and Meyer was letting it slide. According to Steve Endicott the first payments came at Kashmere High School in Houston, Texas. “... It was Ron, Myself, Rob (Robin Buddecke, Endicott’s assistant), and maybe another coach...I can’t pin it down it was maybe twenty or fifty bucks or something like that we gave”.[6] the Kashmere football players would call the SMU recruiters “Santa Claus”. The little payments of 20 dollars turned into 500 dollars, Buddecke was said to have handed out 100-dollar bills to recruits when meeting them at airports.[6]

And we all know how that would come out, with the help of a former Governor of Texas.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am

and Kenneth Davis, TCU’s Best RB in past past 50 years outside of LT, has said he felt an ‘obligation’ to stay true to his commitment to TCU based on the ‘Santa Claus’ payments he received during High School.

So what is your point?
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Just to put this Ron Meyer vs cm argument to bed.

CM’s 4th class at SMU was going to be finalized 2 weeks before he left.

Here is Ron Meyer’s class his 4th year at SMU.

Dwan posted this on the Recruiting page.

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84463

Look at that list.

I don’t care if chad was NFL, P5, Division2A, High School or PeeWee.

Ain’t no way he’s recruiting that class. NEVER EVER EVER, PERIOD.
SoCal_Pony

Postby geno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:and Kenneth Davis, TCU’s Best RB in past past 50 years outside of LT, has said he felt an ‘obligation’ to stay true to his commitment to TCU based on the ‘Santa Claus’ payments he received during High School.

So what is your point?

Are you impaired? The point is that Ron's "greatness" cost us the death penalty, and all the suffering we've done since. TCU escaped with just a scholarship reduction. We didn't. Now do you see the point?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 pm

So can Sonny be a good, great, outstanding recruiter without leaving $100 bills in the Christmas stockings?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm

geno wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:and Kenneth Davis, TCU’s Best RB in past past 50 years outside of LT, has said he felt an ‘obligation’ to stay true to his commitment to TCU based on the ‘Santa Claus’ payments he received during High School.

So what is your point?

Are you impaired? The point is that Ron's "greatness" cost us the death penalty, and all the suffering we've done since. TCU escaped with just a scholarship reduction. We didn't. Now do you see the point?

What Ron Meyer did, paying players to entice them to a university, was done thousands of times by HCs before he ever stepped foot on the Hilltop and has been done thousands of times by HCs since he left.

You can blame Ron Meyer for our DP, I don’t.
SoCal_Pony

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:11 pm

There is plenty of blame to go around in that area, but for us all of it is pretty firmly housed in the archeology department. No need to keep picking the scab. Onward!
gostangs

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 pm

SMU's mistake was not opting for fake classes and fake degrees.
MV pony
All-American

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Our second mistake was not getting back up on the horse.
MV pony
All-American

Postby geno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:46 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
geno wrote:

So what is your point?

What Ron Meyer did, paying players to entice them to a university, was done thousands of times by HCs before he ever stepped foot on the Hilltop and has been done thousands of times by HCs since he left.

You can blame Ron Meyer for our DP, I don’t.

Mind telling us who you do blame?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby smustatesman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:58 pm

I for one am shocked. I thought we only gave out, Pony Money, which was used for goods and prizes by recruits on the Hilltop.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football