PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SI's view

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SI's view

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 pm

SMU: SONNY DYKES (3.6)
Splash quotient: 2
Geography: 4
Stylistic fit: 4
Execution: 5
Instant impact: 3

In hiring Dykes, SMU went with the proven commodity over taking a shot on a new name to replace Chad Morris. Dykes spent 2017 as an offensive analyst for TCU, and he was an assistant at Texas Tech from 2000-06. Furthermore, his father, Spike Dykes, was a long-serving and successful coach for the Red Raiders for more than a decade. The Dykes name goes a long way in Texas, and that’ll work to the coach’s advantage.

SMU under Morris was known for scoring more than defense, and that’ll likely still be the case. Dykes has never been a defensive mastermind, and he’ll need to do more than talk the defensive talk (as he did in his opening press conference) if the Mustangs want to continue their slow climb up the standings in the American Athletic Conference.
https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... mbo-fisher
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: SI's view

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Never understood why, even if you're an offensive-minded head coach (JJ, Chad, Dykes), you can't just go out and hire a great DC. Are they mutually exclusive?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smitty329 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:43 pm

ponyboy wrote:Never understood why, even if you're an offensive-minded head coach (JJ, Chad, Dykes), you can't just go out and hire a great DC. Are they mutually exclusive?

Because most great DCs (which are far fewer than OCs) are defensively-minded Head Coaches looking for great OCs - so I would say yes - somewhat mutually exclusive. Also harder to retain as they are looking for paths to P5 coordinator roles and/or HC opportunities.
smitty329
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I would think you could scour FCS teams for the best defensive team in FCS and then get their coordinator. Of course the other half of defense is recruiting. So, they have to be able to get the talent on the defensive side of the ball. If you have the talent, coordinating is not rocket science. One thing I've never understood is how coordinators have their offense or their defense instead of crafting the schemes to the talent you have. If you have 4 monster DL's why go with a 3-4? If you have 4 monster LB's why go with a 4-3? Recruit the best talent you can, and then make it easy for them to excel.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 pm

That is just what smu did not do for the last 3 years.
Mason used what he had when Bennett left and did well, when the cupboard got thin he had to adjust. He was on campus this week. Never know.

But yes, we need more D recruits.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:47 pm

EastStang wrote:I would think you could scour FCS teams for the best defensive team in FCS and then get their coordinator.

Exactly. No one has a lock on creativity and schools should consider coaches from lower levels (who usually have to to do more with less). Creative schemes can be found anywhere.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:08 pm

I think the reason it's more mutually exclusive than not is due to recruiting. Look at Chad/Craddock/Van. Chad went first two years primarily building up the offense, which in turn it did but it made Van (not the only reason) look like crap. I think that's why if you are an offensive minded coach, you will be able to attract similar assistant coaches. Defensive coaches will either take an open HC job or follow someone with a similar view all because of the focus on in recruiting. The only exclusion to the rule, my guess, are the top 15 teams in the nation can get anyone.

Again my argument against FCS is recruiting ability. Sure creative schemes are everywhere but what good is it if you can't get the right players and develop them to P5 level.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:52 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Again my argument against FCS is recruiting ability. Sure creative schemes are everywhere but what good is it if you can't get the right players and develop them to P5 level.

1. The schemes are developed to be used without P5/G5 talent. Better talent won't automatically negate them, as SMU rarely faces 5* players.
    2. If your sole focus is the ability to recruit G5 talent and coach it up to P5 level, that skillset is both rare and expensive.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ozfan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:14 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Again my argument against FCS is recruiting ability. Sure creative schemes are everywhere but what good is it if you can't get the right players and develop them to P5 level.

1. The schemes are developed to be used without P5/G5 talent. Better talent won't automatically negate them, as SMU rarely faces 5* players.
    2. If your sole focus is the ability to recruit G5 talent and coach it up to P5 level, that skillset is both rare and expensive.

One of the hits on good small schools coaches is they cannot recruit. At a small school coaches have to recruit is what left over after the big schools finish. A coach that is successful year after year and moves up the food chain works around this by getting good sound assistants and using schemes on offense and defense that take advantage of the talent he can get or is on hand, this scheme may change when required. If one of these coaches becomes HC at a big school he must recruit well or put in a recruiting scheme to pick up the players he can develop if he is to stay a big school coach. An example of this is Willie Fritz at Tulane installed a hybrid option system for offense and tightened up the defense (the only teams to blow them out of the water this year was Oklahoma and Memphis and they scored 30 on Memphis) When he was hired also hired 3 extra coaches which are offensive coordinator recruiting, defensive coordinator recruiting and special teams coordinator recruiting.
If you look at the following Tulane recruiting class for this year this system seems to be paying off.
Larry Brooks
Kennedale, TX 6'0" 185 DB 5.5 12/15/17
Jeffery Johnson
Brookhaven, MS 6'3" 317 DT 5.7 12/11/17
Dorian Camel
Baton Rouge, LA 6'1" 164 DB 5.6 12/10/17
Ryan Wright
San Ramon, CA 6'3" 240 K 0 12/10/17
Jorien Vallien
Alexandria, LA 6'2" 180 WR 5.4 11/26/17
Christian Daniels
Elon, NC 6'2" 203 QB 5.3 11/14/17
Sorrell Brown
Arlington, TX 6'3" 190 WR 5.4 11/5/17
Macon Clark
Destrehan, LA 6'1" 185 LB 5.3 11/2/17
Simi Bakare
Round Rock, TX 5'11" 195 RB 5.4 10/25/17
Cameron Carroll
Flowood, MS 5'11" 220 RB 0 10/2/17
Nik Hogan
Flowood, MS 6'5" 250 OL 5.5 8/17/17
Tyrick James
China Spring, TX 6'2" 230 TE 5.5 8/5/17
Carlos Hatcher
Carrolton, TX 6'3" 225 DE 5.4 8/3/17
Michael Remondet
Lafayette, LA 6'4" 250 OL 5.4 8/2/17
Jason Swann
Fort Lauderdale, FL 6'2" 281 OL 5.6 7/28/17
Jamiran James
New Orleans, LA 6'1" 275 DT 5.4 7/13/17
Amare Jones
Frisco, TX 5'10" 180 ATH 5.6 6/27/17
Stephen Lewerenz
Gainesville, FL 6'4" 270 OL 5.3 6/19/17
Davon Wright
Donaldsonville, LA 6'1" 285 DT 5.5 6/17/17
Juan Monjarres
New Orleans, LA 6'2" 218 DE 5.6 5/23/17

What this list tells me that a smart small school coach has a system in place to start building a solid program and did not leave either of his coordinators short. The class so far breaks down to 2 x DB, 2 x DE and 3 x DT (Two of them 3 stars and a high 2, when has SMU been able to recruit 3 DT in on year) and on offense 4 x OL, 2 x RB, 2 x WR, 1 x TE and 1 x QB (why did they go all the way to NC to sign a 2* QB. TX, La, Ms, and Fl are full of 2* QB which seems to be the area where they recruit. Could that offensive coordinator recruiting seen something on in the tape he looked at that showed this kid had something that can be developed that the other QBs he had looked at could not do.) They also signed an ATH out of Frisco that looks like a DB and a K from Cali.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 am

If you look at the AAC, the best teams have built formidable offenses (arguably P5 quality) that can score on all but the best P5 defenses. Their defenses are mediocre at best.

How & Why?

With the number of teams running spread offenses in high schools, there are plenty of good QBs, WRs, and RB’s to fill up the rosters of both P5 and AAC teams.

Unfortunately, there aren’t enough good defenders available to fill AAC rosters top to bottom. Under the current rules, it is very easy to spread out defenses and exploit any mismatches. Spreading out the defense often results in a big play from any mistake by the defense. Since tempo offenses and injuries often force teams to play 2nd and 3rd team DBs, AAC defenses can’t shut down AAC offenses.
Last edited by Digetydog on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am

BUS wrote:He (Mason) was on campus this week. Never know.

I have no idea if Mason is the right fit for us,
but he is really a nice guy that is down to earth and approachable.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
BUS wrote:He (Mason) was on campus this week. Never know.

I have no idea if Mason is the right fit for us,
but he is really a nice guy that is down to earth and approachable.

He is a really nice guy, but will he get out there and recruit ?
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby panhandle_pony » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 pm

As Leo stated "nice guys finish last."
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Given we have a Director of Recruiting (by the way, are the Stepps staying at SMU? I see they are still both listed on the staff web page) - how important is it in this day and age to have a DC/OC that is a great recruiter vs. X's and O's guy that can develop players, game plan, and make adjustments? Leverage the social media we have today - get the position coaches out into homes, and bring in the big guns to seal the deal.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Stepp's gone-recruiting for Arkansas

Coordinators generally spend a lot less time on the recruiting trail especially during the season but they need to be closers for sure. Plus recruits always want to know the reputation of their Coordinator, the system/formation he uses and become comfortable with him. I'm seeing a bunch of defensive recruits from multiple schools who are leaning heavily to a school but want to wait for the Coordinator to be chosen
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football