PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pony NATE-tion: Ponies can expect shootout in DXL Frisco Bow

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pony NATE-tion: Ponies can expect shootout in DXL Frisco Bow

Postby PonyPride » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Nate is back! This time, he previews Wednesday's DXL Frisco Bowl matchup against Louisiana Tech, breaking through the chaos if the last few weeks and offering his insight as to whether the Ponies pick up win No. 8 against the Bulldogs.

http://www.ponyfans.com/features/story.php?id=1183
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Pony NATE-tion: Ponies can expect shootout in DXL Frisco

Postby smuhype » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:58 pm

Our man PONY-Nation sends out Sutton with a nice tribute in his BOWL Preview --- Thank you from ALL true Mustang Fans Courtland!!!

"Sutton surely will be trying to put on a show for the Mustang fans in his final game before he moves on to be a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Which brings me to this: thank you to Courtland Sutton. He easily could have bolted for the NFL last year. But he loved this team so much he wanted to stick around for one more ride. He could have sat out this bowl game, as many draft prospects do nowadays, but he won’t. Sutton has been one of the fiercest competitors this school has ever seen, and in my opinion, is the most talented football player in SMU history. Thank you Courtland, and I wish you a long and successful NFL career."

http://www.ponyfans.com/features/story.php?id=1183
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am

Nice tribute but the most talented in SMU's history? Can forgive young Nate because he wasn't around to see the greats but there's a long list, including names like Doak Walker, Forrest Gregg, Raymond Berry, Don Meredith, Eric Dickerson, etc, etc, etc...
Charleston Pony

Postby smucali18 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Nice tribute but the most talented in SMU's history? Can forgive young Nate because he wasn't around to see the greats but there's a long list, including names like Doak Walker, Forrest Gregg, Raymond Berry, Don Meredith, Eric Dickerson, etc, etc, etc...

It's easy to rattle off names of the greats but Nate's POV encompasses SMU's entire history. I'd bet the farm that Nate considered those names before putting the words in ink and he'd go toe to toe w you in any debate re: Courtland's pure talent.

And speaking in terms of pure talent, probably better to offer some debate points re: Doak, Forrest, Berry, Donny, and Dickerson before offering half-hearted forgiveness to the one person below the age of 45 that actually knows SMU.

Dickerson was the 1st RB taken in 1983. Courtland tracking to be the first WR this year. NFL scouts seem to think both guys are the most talented at their positions in their respective classes.

And regardless of how Courtland's NFL career plays out, there's a definite argument to be made in favor of Courtland's talent surpassing all others during his time at SMU.
smucali18

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 pm

smucali18 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Nice tribute but the most talented in SMU's history? Can forgive young Nate because he wasn't around to see the greats but there's a long list, including names like Doak Walker, Forrest Gregg, Raymond Berry, Don Meredith, Eric Dickerson, etc, etc, etc...

It's easy to rattle off names of the greats but Nate's POV encompasses SMU's entire history. I'd bet the farm that Nate considered those names before putting the words in ink and he'd go toe to toe w you in any debate re: Courtland's pure talent.

And speaking in terms of pure talent, probably better to offer some debate points re: Doak, Forrest, Berry, Donny, and Dickerson before offering half-hearted forgiveness to the one person below the age of 45 that actually knows SMU.

Dickerson was the 1st RB taken in 1983. Courtland tracking to be the first WR this year. NFL scouts seem to think both guys are the most talented at their positions in their respective classes.

And regardless of how Courtland's NFL career plays out, there's a definite argument to be made in favor of Courtland's talent surpassing all others during his time at SMU.

Seriously? To suggest Sutton is the most talented football player in SMU history ignores the fact that Doak Walker was the Heisman winner, is in both the college and NFL halls of fame, that he was a guy who ran for TDs, threw TDs, caught passes for TDs, punted, returned kicks & punts, etc...by far the most talented football player in this school's history. I would have written that Sutton is "among the best football players in school history" which includes him with all of our great players, but if Nate's POV as you suggest included consideration of Doak, then he simply missed the boat.
Charleston Pony

Postby smucali18 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Missing the boat would be your view that Doak could compete on the same level in today’s game.

This isn’t to slam Doak

More to highlight your “back in my day” syndrome

Ponyup
smucali18

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 am

And don't misinterpret my comments as a knock on Courtland. He's a terrific athlete and has been one of our best players in the post death penalty era. I've always argued that the "athlete" of yesteryear might not even be able to compete with today's athlete. I watched Bob Lilly dominate as an all-pro DT at 240 lbs...not sure how he would fit in today's game...but Nate's comment was that Sutton, in Nate's opinion, is the MOST TALENTED FOOTBALL PLAYER in SMU's history and and you come in and argue that Nate DID consider Doak in making that comment. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my opinion that Nate, like you, is coming from a "today" perspective and not fully appreciating how incredibly talented Doak was. Not arguing who was bigger, stronger, faster, etc... Courtland Sutton is an incredibly talented WR but the most talented football player in SMU's history? Don't think so.
Charleston Pony

Postby Junior » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:23 pm

No shootout, but more like a fat man treats a little coat.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Junior wrote:No shootout, but more like a fat man treats a little coat.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Return to Football