PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny is hired and we look the worst we have in years.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny is hired and we look the worst we have in years.

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 pm

This is like a scrimmage to Dykes I think. Getting to see what this team needs and lacks first hand and it is a lot.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 pm

The playcalling didn't seem bad to me. Other than the Sprint out on 3rd and short in the red zone and running it up the middle a third time in a row
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Most teams, if not all, can pull scholarships if players don't perform. If I remember correctly, SMU coaches could not do this in years past. Can they pull them now?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby ponyte » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 pm

This isn't Dykes. Pretty clear Tech has coaches that studied film and put together a great game plan. Offense looks like kids drawing plays in the sand. Totoally unprepared. Not faulting the GAs that had the sad job of putting together an offensive plan. They just don't have the knowleged and skills yet.

Coaching makes a difference putting a plan together and preparing a team to execute. It is painful to watch these kids suffer because there wasn't a single offensive coach that stayed to coach them.

We saw the same thing when we played Pitt in Birmingham. They only had 4 coaches and they simpley couldn't put together a complete plan.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Yep
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:44 pm

ponyte wrote:This isn't Dykes. Pretty clear Tech has coaches that studied film and put together a great game plan. Offense looks like kids drawing plays in the sand. Totoally unprepared. Not faulting the GAs that had the sad job of putting together an offensive plan. They just don't have the knowleged and skills yet.

Coaching makes a difference putting a plan together and preparing a team to execute. It is painful to watch these kids suffer because there wasn't a single offensive coach that stayed to coach them.

We saw the same thing when we played Pitt in Birmingham. They only had 4 coaches and they simpley couldn't put together a complete plan.

agreed and I did not expect this team to win this game, but I expected them to compete. Too many are just going through the motions and it started after the 1st pick 6
Charleston Pony

Postby Statler » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 pm

ponyte wrote:This isn't Dykes. Pretty clear Tech has coaches that studied film and put together a great game plan. Offense looks like kids drawing plays in the sand. Totoally unprepared. Not faulting the GAs that had the sad job of putting together an offensive plan. They just don't have the knowleged and skills yet.

BINGO - We have a winner!

Enough said!!!
Statler
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:02 pm

The guy here for 10 days isn’t to blame for this Hicks dumpster fire. Pretty sure the plays called didn’t include the ‘ol throw it to the other guys play.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:27 pm

GeorgiaMustang wrote:Am I missing something? This is pathetic. OL is getting their butts kicked and Hicks looks like a middle schooler.

:lol:
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 pm

I said the other day that the QB battle will be interesting this year, and some of y’all acted like I was crazy for not assuming Hicks will start. You don’t think Sonny noticed his constant negative body language and terrible accuracy tonight? Peavy beats him out IMO. We would be 1-11 next year with Hicks running the air raid without the best WR duo in the country to throw to.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 pm

At least he got a good look at all his options at QB :roll:

WTF is with playing Ben Hicks down 40 with backups?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 pm

SMU21TCU10 wrote:I said the other day that the QB battle will be interesting this year, and some of y’all acted like I was crazy for not assuming Hicks will start. You don’t think Sonny noticed his constant negative body language and terrible accuracy tonight? Peavy beats him out IMO. We would be 1-11 next year with Hicks running the air raid without the best WR duo in the country to throw to.

I do expect an open competition in the spring. Hicks played his worst game at SMU, including some ugly games his FR year, but this wasn't all on him. That OL looked as bad as any we've seen in the post death penalty era. La Tech just manhandled them but after he was hit that 1st time, Hicks played with happy feet the rest of the game
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU21TCU10 wrote:I said the other day that the QB battle will be interesting this year, and some of y’all acted like I was crazy for not assuming Hicks will start. You don’t think Sonny noticed his constant negative body language and terrible accuracy tonight? Peavy beats him out IMO. We would be 1-11 next year with Hicks running the air raid without the best WR duo in the country to throw to.

I do expect an open competition in the spring. Hicks played his worst game at SMU, including some ugly games his FR year, but this wasn't all on him. That OL looked as bad as any we've seen in the post death penalty era. La Tech just manhandled them but after he was hit that 1st time, Hicks played with happy feet the rest of the game

Well at least we have two good JUCO OL coming in!
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 pm

SMU21TCU10 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Well at least we have two good JUCO OL coming in!

and to Chad's credit, some good young OL to help next year
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Dykes will recruit to his system.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football