PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Disaster

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Disaster

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 am

While watching the game I could not understand how the offense could suck that bad. It finally made sense when the announcers revealed that Malone had been helping "prepare the offense". We achieved our goal of balance with the offense being just as lousy as the defense.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 am

HubbaHubba wrote:While watching the game I could not understand how the offense could suck that bad. It finally made sense when the announcers revealed that Malone had been helping "prepare the offense". We achieved our goal of balance with the offense being just as lousy as the defense.

Speaking of announcer, am I the only one that thought that announcer was extremely irritating?
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 am

I think it shows how important the mental preparation is in addition to the physical. Granted Chad made the comment about the physical size/conditioning of players he inherited and made some changes there, the mental side continues to be a challenge. All the crap that went on with the HC and staff leaving and a new HC coming in. Range of emotions. Seniors playing final game. And then - to have the turnovers and get behind - past history has shown even Chad and his staff were not up to the challenge/game time adjustments required.
smitty329
All-American

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

SMU21TCU10 wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:While watching the game I could not understand how the offense could suck that bad. It finally made sense when the announcers revealed that Malone had been helping "prepare the offense". We achieved our goal of balance with the offense being just as lousy as the defense.

Speaking of announcer, am I the only one that thought that announcer was extremely irritating?

That announcer was the single worst I have ever heard. It's like someone's 15 year old son who thinks he knows sports drank 10 Red Bull's and decided to do a game. Inflection and voice were awful. It just added to the horror. In a way, it was poetic misery.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 am

gostangs wrote:
SMU21TCU10 wrote:

That announcer was the single worst I have ever heard. It's like someone's 15 year old son who thinks he knows sports drank 10 Red Bull's and decided to do a game. Inflection and voice were awful. It just added to the horror. In a way, it was poetic misery.

:lol:
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 am

DC do this all the time and has been for decades. They give their thoughts o how to attack the offenses weakness. If anyone should know how to prepare and attack an offense, its the guy on Defense that sees it everyday. Also, DC can give advise on how to attack an opponent's D. Once again, been done game in and game out for decades.

I realize the desire to blame everything on the players, Malone and the administration but last nights Charlie Foxtrot was the responsiblity of Chad Morris.
ponyte

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 am

I hate to disagree with my good friend Ponyte who has more degrees than I have chins. And that is a lot. But I blame Traylor. He was named interim and the kids were happy and being coached. He did not get the new gig and he took his ball and left the team stranded. No character whatsoever.

And what will be the response when Auburn beats UCF 51-10 which I could definitely see happening?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 am

gostangs wrote:
SMU21TCU10 wrote:

The announcer irritated me from the very first words that came out of his mouth--I'm excited about our new RB Tyeson Neals though. Then we apparently traded players to Louisiana Tech during the game too. I bet he called the wrong name at least 10 times alone for SMU--and of course he also called the wrong name from the wrong team several times to make things even worse. Apparently can't decipher multiple players wearing the same number on offense/defense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby oilpony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:07 pm

I am not blaming anyone. Its the era of early signing. Arkies are paying CM 4+ million they wanted their HC recruiting yesterday with early signing 10 days away from the time he agreed to be the new HC. There is no loyalty anywhere. Its the way the game has evolved. The quicker you remove the emotional attachment the better off you are. Thats the reality of it all
oilpony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:08 pm

oilpony wrote:I am not blaming anyone. Its the era of early signing. Arkies are paying CM 4+ million they wanted their HC recruiting yesterday with early signing 10 days away from the time he agreed to be the new HC. There is no loyalty anywhere. Its the way the game has evolved. The quicker you remove the emotional attachment the better off you are. Thats the reality of it all

Then I am blaming you.
mrydel

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:08 pm

normally I wouldn't comment, but since my son didn't suit up (was ruled out with an injury suffered near end of the Tulane game), I am unbiased on this one. Ponyte has it mostly right. Guys, there was virtually no game plan. Worse than that there was no ability to adjust to blitzes. It is well known here that a grad assistant "called the plays", GJ Kinne. But do people realize we had no offensive line coach? They put a student assistant who didn't even help with the Offensive Line position during the season, somehow "in charge" of offensive line for the bowl. Let that sink in. It's ludicrous what happened. Honestly, the game shouldn't have even been played in those circumstances, Ben Hicks could have been hurt. The whole thing was unfair to everyone involved including the seniors, the fans, and Sonny Dykes. You can't defend the performance but don't mistake a lack of focus for a lack of character and ability. Six turnovers from guys who didn't turn the ball over all year, that's a complete lack of focus no doubt about it, but no one wants to fumble the football. It was a debacle. Embarrassing to say the least, but also a ridiculous and completely unfair situation. Pretty sad that it basically ruined a pretty decent season where lots of good things happened and we scored 40+ points a game against basically everybody, but couldn't score vs. La Tech. Wonder why.
Hoop Fan

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:12 pm

mrydel wrote:I hate to disagree with my good friend Ponyte who has more degrees than I have chins. And that is a lot. But I blame Traylor. He was named interim and the kids were happy and being coached. He did not get the new gig and he took his ball and left the team stranded. No character whatsoever.

And what will be the response when Auburn beats UCF 51-10 which I could definitely see happening?

Sorry Myrdel, but how is this different from what Morris did? They both bailed and left with their tails tuck behind their legs. Morris is the primary culprit here. Leaving is one thing but poaching players and coaches is another. I said it in another thread but the NCAA is the manifestation of hypocrisy at its best, allowing Head Coaches to poach players and coaches from day one. Have non-solicit languages and protections in place damn it.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:17 pm

The players do not have to flip. I have no problem with that. That is why they say commit to the school not the coach but we all know that seldom happens.

Yes Morris bailed. I expected him to. No reason for him to stay around when he has a new job. For all we know, he may have offered to stay (I doubt it). But Traylor did commit to stay. He got his little feelings hurt and walked away.
mrydel

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Let's be honest. We don't have the players to compete. La Tech beat Navy in their bowl last year and we looked like a junior high team against them. La Tech has better personnel.

Did anyone expect our problems on defense, offensive line, quarterback, quarterback backup, kicking and special teams to evaporate? Chad had no signature wins while he was here, and I include Houston last year given what was happening in that program. We padded our record with weak teams and couldn't compete with most of our own league this year. Luck got us bowl eligible, remember Tulane? Tulsa?

Hicks was simply not the best quarterback on the field and made the opposition's look all-conference in practically every game. Chad failed to recruit a backup.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby oilpony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 pm

mrydel wrote:
oilpony wrote:I am not blaming anyone. Its the era of early signing. Arkies are paying CM 4+ million they wanted their HC recruiting yesterday with early signing 10 days away from the time he agreed to be the new HC. There is no loyalty anywhere. Its the way the game has evolved. The quicker you remove the emotional attachment the better off you are. Thats the reality of it all

Then I am blaming you.

Im telling Santa to put coal in your stocking
oilpony
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football