PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Disaster

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Disaster

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Question Mex. if Houston was not a big win last year because of what was going on with their program, why is what is going on with our program not a reason for what happened last night. I agree with the soft schedule remark but I also think had all things been equal, we beat that team last night.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jimhagle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:normally I wouldn't comment, but since my son didn't suit up (was ruled out with an injury suffered near end of the Tulane game), I am unbiased on this one. Ponyte has it mostly right. Guys, there was virtually no game plan. Worse than that there was no ability to adjust to blitzes. It is well known here that a grad assistant "called the plays", GJ Kinne. But do people realize we had no offensive line coach? They put a student assistant who didn't even help with the Offensive Line position during the season, somehow "in charge" of offensive line for the bowl. Let that sink in. It's ludicrous what happened. Honestly, the game shouldn't have even been played in those circumstances, Ben Hicks could have been hurt. The whole thing was unfair to everyone involved including the seniors, the fans, and Sonny Dykes. You can't defend the performance but don't mistake a lack of focus for a lack of character and ability. Six turnovers from guys who didn't turn the ball over all year, that's a complete lack of focus no doubt about it, but no one wants to fumble the football. It was a debacle. Embarrassing to say the least, but also a ridiculous and completely unfair situation. Pretty sad that it basically ruined a pretty decent season where lots of good things happened and we scored 40+ points a game against basically everybody, but couldn't score vs. La Tech. Wonder why.

My sentiments exactly...
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:normally I wouldn't comment, but since my son didn't suit up (was ruled out with an injury suffered near end of the Tulane game), I am unbiased on this one. Ponyte has it mostly right. Guys, there was virtually no game plan. Worse than that there was no ability to adjust to blitzes. It is well known here that a grad assistant "called the plays", GJ Kinne. But do people realize we had no offensive line coach? They put a student assistant who didn't even help with the Offensive Line position during the season, somehow "in charge" of offensive line for the bowl. Let that sink in. It's ludicrous what happened. Honestly, the game shouldn't have even been played in those circumstances, Ben Hicks could have been hurt. The whole thing was unfair to everyone involved including the seniors, the fans, and Sonny Dykes. You can't defend the performance but don't mistake a lack of focus for a lack of character and ability. Six turnovers from guys who didn't turn the ball over all year, that's a complete lack of focus no doubt about it, but no one wants to fumble the football. It was a debacle. Embarrassing to say the least, but also a ridiculous and completely unfair situation. Pretty sad that it basically ruined a pretty decent season where lots of good things happened and we scored 40+ points a game against basically everybody, but couldn't score vs. La Tech. Wonder why.

I wondered about that. Tech was blitzing from the get go and we never seemed to pick it up or attack those blitzes.

Normally adjustments to blitzes are made during the game and if we didn't have a real O line coach to identify the blitz schemes and adjust, then we never would pick up blitzes. Makes sense since we didn't have any O line coaches.

And the poor GA calling plays could never attack the blitzes casue he knew we didn't have the ability to pick them up. Talk about a death spiral on O.
ponyte

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Louisiana Tech came up with a great defensive game plan. A lot of zone blitzing by multiple defenders off and inside the tackle. The way to throw Hicks off his game is to flash rushers in his face-you don't need to actually sack him-just obstruct his view in his face which makes him skiddish. SMU didn't seem to adjust whatsoever to this. Meanwhile SMU's pass rush was basically non-existent. I haven't seen the replay was the pressure coming from Wilds replacement--Todoro--one of the interceptions was I'm pretty sure.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Phxfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 pm

FWIW.........................Your going to need a bigger tarp.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:19 pm

ponyte wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:While watching the game I could not understand how the offense could suck that bad. It finally made sense when the announcers revealed that Malone had been helping "prepare the offense". We achieved our goal of balance with the offense being just as lousy as the defense.

GOOD (even adequate) DC do this all the time and has been for decades. They give their thoughts o how to attack the offenses weakness. If anyone should know how to prepare and attack an offense, its the guy on Defense that sees it everyday. Also, DC can give advise on how to attack an opponent's D. Once again, been done game in and game out for decades.

I realize the desire to blame everything on the players, Malone and the administration but last nights Charlie Foxtrot was the responsiblity of Chad Morris.

FIFY
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ponypatrick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm

oilpony wrote:I am not blaming anyone. Its the era of early signing. Arkies are paying CM 4+ million they wanted their HC recruiting yesterday with early signing 10 days away from the time he agreed to be the new HC. There is no loyalty anywhere. Its the way the game has evolved. The quicker you remove the emotional attachment the better off you are. Thats the reality of it all

Then , why go to the games ?? why cheer for your school ?
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:38 pm

ponypatrick wrote:

Go to the games and cheer for your school because you love your school not some coach.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ponypatrick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:43 pm

sbsmith wrote:
ponypatrick wrote:

Go to the games and cheer for your school because you love your school not some coach.

sad , but true
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Hope, eternal hope that your team will win or else keep it close. Perhaps this is why football is becoming passe at all levels.

Heard somone on tv refer to Wofford as the smaller Harvard. SMU students used to think SMU was the Havard of the South when I was there. How things have changed.
MV pony
All-American

Postby SMUer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm

So our kids have no football “smarts” to come up wit their own in/game adjustments...Jesus we make them sound like automatons who can’t think, only be guided. If true, that doesn’t even seem FCS level athlete.

How many different blitz schemes do you have to adjust to during a season? How is anything they saw unprecedented?
SMUer

Postby mavsrage311 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Thank you for this post Mr. K. The team was set up for failure. Period. Lets all step away from the keyboards and the tweeters for a while, and relax. Shout out to the SMU frat bro cursing out Sonny Dykes' name in the restroom in halftime. You sir, are a special kind of special.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Well what had happened was..
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:23 pm

I hope your son gets better. Sorry to hear he was injured. Accurate recap of the disaster. There’s a reason why coaches and their staff get paid huge amounts of money. Sadly i thought talent could win out and we would try our best to keep a simple game plan and if we see blitz coming that we could switch it to another simple play to counter but it was all so so disorganized. While this isn’t the same circumstances, I understand how PITT felt when we played them in the Birmingham bowl.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football