PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Disappointed in the players

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Disappointed in the players

Postby ponyboy101 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 am

Lack of energy coming out of the gate. 3 turnovers on our first 3 possessions, what the hell are you doing Xavier Jones? First play of the game and a fumble? And then Ben throwing 2 INT’s.... the lack of focus. I saw James Proche throwing his helmet and having a heated argument with a coach, our kicker trying to trip a kick returner while we’re losing 28-3 and then after laughing on the sidelines with the other special teams weirdo’s. Our O-line having its worst game of the season. Fun fact* Ben Hicks had -32 yard rushing all on sacks... the fans finally show up to a game, I get it the stadium only seated 16k but that placed was packed and ready to watch some football. The blame goes to the players, thank you for disappointing us the one game the fans actually show up. The team we played wasn’t even that good! I would understand if this was against a team like Houston or USF but against LA Tech? This is why people around America take SMU football as a joke. At least we have basketball......
ponyboy101
Recruit

Re: Disappointed in the players

Postby Lebanese4Life » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 am

Agree - most of the blame falls on the players. No sense of urgency.

And ironically in one of X's interviews with Ponyfans he was arrogant as heck.

Said they were gonna win no doubt despite new coaching staff not taking charge.

This is what happens when u let the players run the team. Ben Hicks, thought he was one of the le aders of the team, but nope just a pouting, choking b!ch - massive dissappointment.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:43 am

I was disappointed that so many appeared to have quit so early, but the offense was abysmal so anyone who didn't think "coaching matters" might now understand how important coaching is. I'm moving on to basketball season, but will be interested to see who Dykes brings in as coaches and what 11th hour recruits he/they can bring. Get those JUCOs in for spring ball and let's see who wants to compete for playing time next year.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am

And yet many still think Traylor should have been hired? Because that's who the players wanted? Good Lord, get a clue...

If I were an Arky fan I would be scared to death right now.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:And ironically in one of X's interviews with Ponyfans he was arrogant as heck.

He was just trying to show confidence in the team as a whole in a public interview. What was he supposed to say? We are going to lose?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Lebanese4Life » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:08 am

Rebel10 wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:And ironically in one of X's interviews with Ponyfans he was arrogant as heck.

He was just trying to show confidence in the team as a whole in a public interview. What was he supposed to say? We are going to lose?

maybe answer the questions he was asked instead of sounding like an arrogant a$$h0le. even took a shot at the new coaches in that interview. if you can't back it up, don't talk trash
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am

I don't for a second balme the palyers. It wasn't the players that studied Tech and develped a game plan. It wasn't the players that had their coach abandon them right before this bowl game.

Does anyone think for a millisecond Morris and the staff (basically the offensive staff) gave 2 seconds thought about this game knowing they were heading to Arkyland?

We asked a GA to be basically a major college bowl game OC and expected it to be a high end polished offensive performance? Really? IS coaching so easy that a kid fresh out of college can all of a sudden be an offensive guru? GAs do the data collection work while the OC and position coaches anaylize and put together a game plan based on that data. It takes years to begin to understand how to attack defenses, not a season as a GA. Talk abaout unfair situation for that poor GA.

Morris pulled this same horse dump last year with his flirtation with Baylor. Remember how the players responded against Navy? They played like their coach abandoned them. Which he basically did. They did the same this year.

Coaching changes are Hades for players. The unknown, insecurities and feeling of being abandoned are overwhelming. Hades, even a position coaching change is hard.

I expected the preformance we witnessed and would have been shocked if our offense had performed better than it did. I'm sad the Sr. had such a poor last game experience but they can't blame anyoe except Chad Morris.

This one is clearly on Morris's plate. He flat abandon the kids with a very selfish, its all about me and my next gig attitute.

UCF has a coach, Scott Frost, with class that didn't abandon his players. He is living what he preached to them and they know he will be there for them during the bowl game. Unselfis, and putting his next job on hold while he finishes his current job.

Wish Morris had been as concerned with his players as Frost. I bet the players do too.
Last edited by ponyte on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyte

Postby San Antonio Mustang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 am

Agree with everything you state Ponyte, except that the game plan was not developed by the players. That was part of the problem. Chad, by his actions forced the players to develop the game plan.
San Antonio Mustang
All-American

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:45 am

if these players had any personal pride they would not have quit. they quit on themselves, the rest of the team, the university and also the fans.
redpony

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 am

...but the announcers gushed about how Chad cried when he met with the players, was really torn up and would be watching the game.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 am

I agree except the fumbles, penalties and INTs were on the players. Courtland is standing in the end zone on short yardage and HIcks throws the ball to the ground at his feet? An underhand lob would have been a completion. If they think a coaching change is a disappointment, wait until they get into the real world.
MV pony
All-American

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:56 am

tristatecoog wrote:...but the announcers gushed about how Chad cried when he met with the players, was really torn up and would be watching the game.

Yeah, I thought that was really in bad taste on espn's part. Just like they would show pictures of chad the lad's family on horseback while talking them up during prior SMU games.
MV pony
All-American

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:15 am

[quote="ponyte"]I don't for a second balme the palyers. It wasn't the players that studied Tech and develped a game plan. It wasn't the players that had their coach abandon them right before this bowl game.

If you have good/very good/great players than the blowouts that happened under CM & last night don't happen on a regular basis.

If it wasn't for a VERY WEAK non conference schedule, the players never would have had the opportunity to play in a bowl.

The talent level just isn't there yet, not even close IMO, & hopefully although it wasn't fun, last night will be a blessing for Dykes & his staff re: player evaluations.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am

Thank you ponyte. I completely agree. Would we have won if CM was 'all in' for this game? I don't know, maybe. But I put the way we lost squarely on him. My biggest upset about it all was the embarrassment on national TV on primetime. My school/brand took a beating. And, trust me, I understand this is a business blah blah and early signing period blah blah but at some point you have to go beyond it's 'just a business' and do the right damn thing (and I'm a business guy for sure absolutely). [deleted] move. [deleted] Chad Morris. All hype, some positive results but mostly hype. Got way more out of JJ with very little of the talk/hype. If anyone wants to dispute that, then I will gladly put the data on the table to compare. Hope he fails spectacularly at Arky.
ojaipony

Postby Digetydog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

ponyte wrote:I don't for a second balme the palyers. It wasn't the players that studied Tech and develped a game plan. It wasn't the players that had their coach abandon them right before this bowl game.

Does anyone think for a millisecond Morris and the staff (basically the offensive staff) gave 2 seconds thought about this game knowing they were heading to Arkyland?

We asked a GA to be basically a major college bowl game OC and expected it to be a high end polished offensive performance? Really? IS coaching so easy that a kid fresh out of college can all of a sudden be an offensive guru? GAs do the data collection work while the OC and position coaches anaylize and put together a game plan based on that data. It takes years to begin to understand how to attack defenses, not a season as a GA. Talk abaout unfair situation for that poor GA.

Morris pulled this same horse dump last year with his flirtation with Baylor. Remember how the players responded against Navy? They played like their coach abandoned them. Which he basically did. They did the same this year.

Coaching changes are Hades for players. The unknown, insecurities and feeling of being abandoned are overwhelming. Hades, even a position coaching change is hard.

I expected the preformance we witnessed and would have been shocked if our offense had performed better than it did. I'm sad the Sr. had such a poor last game experience but they can't blame anyoe except Chad Morris.

This one is clearly on Morris's plate. He flat abandon the kids with a very selfish, its all about me and my next gig attitute.

UCF has a coach, Scott Frost, with class that didn't abandon his players. He is living what he preached to them and they know he will be there for them during the bowl game. Unselfis, and putting his next job on hold while he finishes his current job.

Wish Morris had been as concerned with his players as Frost. I bet the players do too.

And the Grad assistant only had the TE coach and another Grad Assistant to support him. Maybe an OL coach or a RB coach could have helped him adjust the protections? Maybe they could have helped him scheme for the La Tech defense.

Three of our offensive coaches Dykes and the two new WR coaches didn't know the plays.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football