PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Silver Linings

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Silver Linings

Postby oilpony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 am

I didn’t go. I saved on air fare and the cost of ticket
oilpony
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 am

turned it off 10 min into the game. lucky me
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 am

Kids with pride will ork hard this off season to show that this dumpster fire was a fluke. ANd it will give Dykes an opportunity to instill a culture of pride, discipline and hard work.

Winners will be embarrassed at last nights' performance and want to correct it. And Dykes can use that to move the culture forward.

Losers will not give a hoot in Hades about last night and Dykes can identify them and work to change them or move them down the road.
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:34 am

Didn't watch the second half. Worked on my model train layout instead. Glad I didn't. At least we learned that Hicks should not be calling his own plays.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am

we learned that hicks is not a leader- just a whiner. Hope HCSD cleans house with the losers who did not come to play last night. Feel sorry for those who really gave an effort as their teammates let them down.
redpony

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:52 am

I’m glad you don’t live in this country and never visit
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am

visit all the time as if it were any of your business. sorry your kid did so poor at qb last night.
redpony

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 am

Best thing to come out of it IMO is that Dykes got to see how the returning players reacted to things not going their way (adversity), & that's huge.

For example, was Hicks over on the sideline crying & blaming the other players, or was he positive, accepting the blame like a real leader should? WR's throwing their helmets. Players arguing with coaches. A kicker who shouldn't even be kicking for a D1 school laughing about trying to trip the kickoff returner. If the dude could actually kick the ball into the end zone, like most high school kickers in the area, it would never have been an issue.

I'm excited to see the team next season, & looking forward to see who wins the open competition @ every position.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:59 pm

That might be the biggest silver lining, i.e., that the new coach will have true open competition for every starting position next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustang1980 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 pm

redpony wrote:we learned that hicks is not a leader- just a whiner. Hope HCSD cleans house with the losers who did not come to play last night. Feel sorry for those who really gave an effort as their teammates let them down.

BINGO!!! That I already knew. Pity one of LaTech's LB/Safety blitzes didn't concuss Hicks, and force SD to get an early preview of another QB.

Does the FB staff still run Mustang Reminders for the F-offs ??? Or, does that constitute "Cruel & Unusual" in today's world?
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Ok I’m going to stick my neck out there for Hicks. 1) he’s a sophomore 2) had to try to coach and manage players who probably wrote the game off when Traylor wasn’t named coach. 3) West I believe fumbled the ball on the first snap which causes panic to the young coach. 4) on top of all that, you are having to read the defense, figure the right play call, execute it and hopefully trust your OL not crumble to pieces. Just my defense for him. It’s not like Gilbert was out there where he could make magic happen.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby birddogger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm

"Pity one of LaTech's LB/Safety blitzes didn't concuss Hicks, and force SD to get an early preview of another QB."

Really??? You take sports way too seriously, fellah...
birddogger
All-American

Postby RufusKing » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm

FootballDad's kid got a raise at Wells Fargo....
RufusKing
Recruit

Postby LaTech77 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:01 pm

It was just a snowball that began quickly and enlarged rapidly. We were very pleased our team ended what was a very disappointing season with a well-played game and our 4th-straight bowl win. But it is easy to see how difficult it was for SMU to really be ready to play the game. IMO Dykes will be a success at SMU. Your offense will score lots of points, and your defense will, well, give up lots of points. There will be some frustration with not being able to hold the other teams' offenses down, but it will be exciting football for the fans, and you will beat teams no one thought you would beat. I think SMU will be a much better fit for Sonny than Cal was.
LaTech77

Postby Donnell88 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:24 pm

To LaTech 77: Thank you for being so gracious in victory.
Donnell88
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football