PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Was The Rise Real?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Was The Rise Real?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 pm

James Prosche was a JJ commit.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:35 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:James Prosche was a JJ commit.

Gailliard as well I believe. Castille, Thomas & Honey were the Morris guys.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm

footballdad wrote:
PonySnob wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Getting back to the original question as to whether the "rise" was real, next year will be very telling. If Chad & Co really did upgrade the talent with these past 3 recruiting classes, then an experienced coach who has shown he can be successful should be able to field a pretty competitive team next year. I have expressed my concerns about the schedule being much more difficult, but if Dykes can lead next year's team to 6 wins, I will be convinced that Morris & Co significantly upgraded the talent on SMU's roster.

Hard to say that our WR group hasn’t been decimated with the players leaving for the NFL as there isn’t anything proven behind them. Proche has shown some flashes of potential. Hopefully Honey and others can step up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The defensive talent wasn't upgraded at all. The WR group will tell the tale. Sutton was a June guy, Quinn a lucky transfer godsend. All the rest now Morris guys, most highly thought of with multiple P5 offers. Does June or Morris get credit for Proche? He was on board early because of June and Deion, no?

How is Quinn a lucky transfer godsend when Quinn left LSU specifically to play for Morris who recruited him for several years at Clemson--that's what good recruiting is about.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Julian Grendel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Someone already said it but if we are playing by those rules, give June credit for a five star qb

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Have to give Morris credit for transfers including the A$M linebacker...just as we did with JJ when he got the RB from Miami and I'm sure there were others.
Charleston Pony

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Stallion wrote:
footballdad wrote:
PonySnob wrote:[quote="Charleston Pony"]Getting back to the original question as to whether the "rise" was real, next year will be very telling. If Chad & Co really did upgrade the talent with these past 3 recruiting classes, then an experienced coach who has shown he can be successful should be able to field a pretty competitive team next year. I have expressed my concerns about the schedule being much more difficult, but if Dykes can lead next year's team to 6 wins, I will be convinced that Morris & Co significantly upgraded the talent on SMU's roster.

Hard to say that our WR group hasn’t been decimated with the players leaving for the NFL as there isn’t anything proven behind them. Proche has shown some flashes of potential. Hopefully Honey and others can step up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The defensive talent wasn't upgraded at all. The WR group will tell the tale. Sutton was a June guy, Quinn a lucky transfer godsend. All the rest now Morris guys, most highly thought of with multiple P5 offers. Does June or Morris get credit for Proche? He was on board early because of June and Deion, no?

How is Quinn a lucky transfer godsend when Quinn left LSU specifically to play for Morris who recruited him for several years at Clemson--that's what good recruiting is about.[/quote]

Because if he had listened to chad the first time he would be a national champion at Clemson.
smusic 00

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Have to give Morris credit for transfers including the A$M linebacker...just as we did with JJ when he got the RB from Miami and I'm sure there were others.

He can have the credit, but transfers are a different animal than HS recruits. Really as much luck as skill when they end up on your roster.

Proche/Guillard current productive contributors. Castille/Thomas/Honey not so much.

Just sayin (if you're one of those who is a die hard Morris fan boy) :wink:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

There is still plenty of time for you to make a fool of yourself;

Along with Trey Quinn I see about 6 All-Americans Chad Morris has recruited already not to mention Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins, Martavias Bryant and Sutton who he developed-also remind me of the name of the High School coach who developed Garrett Gilbert into the No. 1 rated high school QB in the Nation?

https://247sports.com/Coach/Chad-Morris ... meRecruits
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Stallion wrote:There is still plenty of time for you to make a fool of yourself;

Along with Trey Quinn I see about 6 All-Americans Chad Morris has recruited already not to mention Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins and Sutton who he developed-also remind me of the name of the High School coach who developed Garrett Gilbert into the No. 1 rated high school QB in the Nation?

You've already been exposed as the fool, fan boy. We're talking SMU here, not Clemson....way to divert as usual. :roll:

He gets zero credit for Sutton, just stop. Sutton was an AAC freak of nature, would have been hugely successful with any coach.

.......now travel back in time to the high school kids he 'developed' :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Smumustangs.com:

"In all, Morris recruited 11 players – or half the starting lineup - on Clemson’s 2015 national runner-up team."

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm

footballdad wrote:
Stallion wrote:There is still plenty of time for you to make a fool of yourself;

Along with Trey Quinn I see about 6 All-Americans Chad Morris has recruited already not to mention Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins and Sutton who he developed-also remind me of the name of the High School coach who developed Garrett Gilbert into the No. 1 rated high school QB in the Nation?

You've already been exposed as the fool, fan boy. We're talking SMU here, not Clemson....way to divert as usual. :roll:

He gets zero credit for Sutton, just stop. Sutton was an AAC freak of nature, would have been hugely successful with any coach.

You ought the ask Sutton about who gets the credit for his development. The real story starting with Colorado pulling his scholarship barely a week before signing date:

Just a couple of weeks before signing day in 2014, Sutton got his first call from SMU. The private school just outside downtown Dallas was interested and wanted to recruit him as an “athlete” and could decide his position later. That same day, he had an official visit scheduled. He'd never even gotten a single piece of mail from SMU, but committed at the end of his visit that weekend.
But when he got on campus, he wasn't an “athlete” playing both sides like he did in high school.
He was a safety.
After a 45-0 loss to Baylor in Week 1, then-coach June Jones asked Sutton if he'd ever played receiver. It was a curious question for a player whose recruiting highlight tape was exclusively cutups of him playing the position.
------------------------------------

“It all worked out. Coach Morris brought his staff in and got rid of the cancers that contributed to us going 1-11,” Sutton said. “There was so much negativity and complacency. You can't have those in a program trying to build. He got rid of that, and we're on the cusp of being an elite team.”

https://theathletic.com/101061/2017/09/ ... wr-skills/

Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Stallion wrote:Smumustangs.com:

"In all, Morris recruited 11 players – or half the starting lineup - on Clemson’s 2015 national runner-up team."

Yeah, Dabo has done a hell of a job there, with a ton of resources.

Back to Morris and SMU, let's see how many of his guys got AAC recognition this year?....

http://theamerican.org/news/2017/11/29/ ... onors.aspx

Oh Wow, look at that........exactly ZERO, even Honorable mention.

Hmmmmm
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Stallion wrote:
footballdad wrote:

You ought the ask Sutton about who gets the credit for his development. The real story starting with Colorado pulling his scholarship barely a week before signing date:

Just a couple of weeks before signing day in 2014, Sutton got his first call from SMU. The private school just outside downtown Dallas was interested and wanted to recruit him as an “athlete” and could decide his position later. That same day, he had an official visit scheduled. He'd never even gotten a single piece of mail from SMU, but committed at the end of his visit that weekend.
But when he got on campus, he wasn't an “athlete” playing both sides like he did in high school.
He was a safety.
After a 45-0 loss to Baylor in Week 1, then-coach June Jones asked Sutton if he'd ever played receiver. It was a curious question for a player whose recruiting highlight tape was exclusively cutups of him playing the position.

“It all worked out. Coach Morris brought his staff in and got rid of the cancers that contributed to us going 1-11,” Sutton said. “There was so much negativity and complacency. You can't have those in a program trying to build. He got rid of that, and we're on the cusp of being an elite team.”

Thanks for clarifying it was Jones that moved him to receiver as well.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Yep by my calculation he spent about a whole 20 days developing Courtland Sutton as a receiver before his season was over.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... and-sutton

Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Stallion wrote:
footballdad wrote:

He was a safety.

A little irony in Courtland's statement. Chad ran off the cancers that made SMU 1-11...so that SMU could then go... Well.. 2-10
RGV Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football