PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Was The Rise Real?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Was The Rise Real?

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Its called turning over a roster--and it takes 3-4 years
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:07 pm

We're on the cusp of being top 75.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 am

I was listening to someone yesterday; about Chad's much talked about... "culture change" and "best is our standard". Even in year three, we had games that we STILL were no shows...and coming out mysteriously FLAT...and that was echoed by the Chadster himself. So I'm going to grade those two with a C- at best.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Chad's much talked about... "culture change" and "best is our standard". Even in year three, we had games that we STILL were no shows...and coming out mysteriously FLAT.

oh come on...have another sip of the Kool-Aid...we were "just a few years away" from being great! :roll:
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:11 pm

If SMU had only paid market rate, this year was going to be THE year, according to the Morris fanboy. :roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:38 pm

footballdad wrote:If SMU had only paid market rate, this year was going to be THE year, :roll:

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:40 pm

There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have continued to improve under Chad Morris.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:14 pm

ponyboy wrote:There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have continued to improve under Chad Morris.

and there's no reason to believe we would have improved. I doubt his results next year would have been better than this year. just another reason he was anxious to bail.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 pm

redpony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have continued to improve under Chad Morris.

and there's no reason to believe we would have improved. I doubt his results next year would have been better than this year. just another reason he was anxious to bail.

That's the way I see it. Much tougher schedule next year and good chance Chad would have watched this team slip to 5-7 which really could have hurt his career...but with TCU, Houston & Navy coming to Ford, at east there is a chance attendance will be up.
Charleston Pony

Postby footballdad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 pm

redpony wrote:

Morris living a charmed scheduling life.

Lands in Arkysaw just in time for their easiest schedule in a long time. ZERO P5 opponents among their non-conf schedule. Had to get a waiver approved by the SEC to avoid the league rule requiring at least 1 P5 opponent. Eastern Illinois, Colorado State, North Texas, and Tulsa is a really scary slate for an SEC team! Schedule also includes 7 home games, including 5 IN A ROW.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/2018- ... announced/

I'm sure Mrydel can expound on the good fortune of the Morris regime, regarding the schedule.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Well, Michigan cancelled on them and my guess is one of their “home” games is at Jerry World against A&M. So yes he gets an easy schedule but purely by chance.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 pm

mrydel wrote:Well, Michigan cancelled on them and my guess is one of their “home” games is at Jerry World against A&M. So yes he gets an easy schedule but purely by chance.

No, Jerry World is actually counted as 'neutral'. Only 4 away games, 7 home, 1 neutral.

Regardless of what Michigan did, they play Colorado State instead. 4 non-P5, non-conference games, for an SEC school.

Not saying Morris is responsible for the schedule, just very lucky again it's so favorable to him.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 am

footballdad wrote:
mrydel wrote:Well, Michigan cancelled on them and my guess is one of their “home” games is at Jerry World against A&M. So yes he gets an easy schedule but purely by chance.

No, Jerry World is actually counted as 'neutral'. Only 4 away games, 7 home, 1 neutral.

Regardless of what Michigan did, they play Colorado State instead. 4 non-P5, non-conference games, for an SEC school.

Not saying Morris is responsible for the schedule, just very lucky again it's so favorable to him.

No question that he got lucky coming into that kind of schedule but if he can significantly improve on last year's W/L, the Arkansas faithful aren't going to care who those wins came against and he might be in position to have a banner recruiting class...unlike the circumstances he left behind at SMU.
Charleston Pony

Postby 78pony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm

redpony wrote:

Chad is a math guy. Understands odds, probabilities, etc. He knew exactly what he had (didn't) and he saw a 5-7 or 4-8 year staring him the face, saw that arky had a once in half-century schedule and he used that math mind to easily conclude that he had to bail and right now. Recruiting fail on D side couldn't be covered up nor excused.
78pony
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm

78pony wrote:
redpony wrote:

Chad is a math guy. Understands odds, probabilities, etc. He knew exactly what he had (didn't) and he saw a 5-7 or 4-8 year staring him the face, saw that arky had a once in half-century schedule and he used that math mind to easily conclude that he had to bail and right now. Recruiting fail on D side couldn't be covered up nor excused.

Stallion would disagree.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football