PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Was The Rise Real?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Was The Rise Real?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Boston Pony wrote:give it time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KukWz1xQQCw

well it used to be!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 pm

redpony wrote:really amazed and disappointed that sonny hasn't been able to put a staff together by now. I wonder if all of his prospective coaches have turned him down. I realize this is a dead period for recruits however it is not a dead period for contacting h.s. coaches for assistance/recs.

I'm hearing that we have quite the budget for assistant coaches and are going after big names and quality targets. Let it play out. If we don't have hires by the end of next week, then it is time to be concerned.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby geno » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
redpony wrote:this next year and year after crap is really getting old

Amen Brother....same old crapola.

Well we need to give the guy time to get his own players
Well we need to give the guy time to implement his system
Well if we can get the IPF built in a couple of years
Well if can reach out to the Texas HS Coaches and build rapport over time
Well if we can just get a "basket-weaving degree" available
Well if we can just do a marketing pkge to increase fans at games
We need a major reach-out to the students
Well if we can just get an invite to the Big 12
Well if we can just recruit a defense
Well if we can just recruit a QB
Just wait in 2 years we should be fine

I fear I will be wearing Depends full-time (or worse) by the time all these deadlines are ever met.

Hey, Insane, hate to be the one to tell you, but someone walking behind you at the mall last week thought y ou should have been wearing Depends right then. Better check it before you leave home.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby 78pony » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 pm

JasonB wrote:
redpony wrote:really amazed and disappointed that sonny hasn't been able to put a staff together by now. I wonder if all of his prospective coaches have turned him down. I realize this is a dead period for recruits however it is not a dead period for contacting h.s. coaches for assistance/recs.

I'm hearing that we have quite the budget for assistant coaches and are going after big names and quality targets. Let it play out. If we don't have hires by the end of next week, then it is time to be concerned.

Not concerned and quite impressed. Snake oil salesman now doing his thing elsewhere.
78pony
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am

Stallion wrote:he said the 3rd year would be "Boom or Bust" and that if SMU didn't make a Bowl in Year 3 then Morris was a failure. You fire Busts and failures.

Going to have to give back all of Doc Hayes SWC Championships and NCAA Tournaments too. Only 1 winning record (7-5) in the SWC in his first 7 years and No NCAA Tournament or Championship until Year 8

A shame someone did not slip this in about five pages ago. Back in the day the word was that Doc Hayes would win the conference if / when he recruited a good big.

Can you say JIM KREBS?

Kind of funny to bring up the BB program then and FB today. Similar to the difference between grapes and grapefruit. Hayes and one assistant pretty much did it all.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:47 am

loved the days of Hayes and Prewitt (sp?). Not always champions but always had an exciting team.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Getting back to the original question as to whether the "rise" was real, next year will be very telling. If Chad & Co really did upgrade the talent with these past 3 recruiting classes, then an experienced coach who has shown he can be successful should be able to field a pretty competitive team next year. I have expressed my concerns about the schedule being much more difficult, but if Dykes can lead next year's team to 6 wins, I will be convinced that Morris & Co significantly upgraded the talent on SMU's roster.
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Getting back to the original question as to whether the "rise" was real, next year will be very telling. If Chad & Co really did upgrade the talent with these past 3 recruiting classes, then an experienced coach who has shown he can be successful should be able to field a pretty competitive team next year. I have expressed my concerns about the schedule being much more difficult, but if Dykes can lead next year's team to 6 wins, I will be convinced that Morris & Co significantly upgraded the talent on SMU's roster.

spot on...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm

If this is so perplexing go watch the 2014 SMU season highlights. Maybe this might remind you

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -eyes-hurt
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Cadillac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Stallion wrote:If this is so perplexing go watch the 2014 SMU season highlights. Maybe this might remind you

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -eyes-hurt
Yeah, I don't get it. How is it even a question that the Talent Improved? I guess folks are looking at the Rankings of the recruiting classes? I loved Chad as a coach and I love what he did here. I wish he'd have hung around, but I don't blame him for leaving, especially if the rumors of acrimony stemming from last year have merit. I'm also excited about Sonny Dukes, especially with Lashley coming in. To me that indicates that Sonny is willing to adapt his offense to fit his players.

-CoS

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Cadillac
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Chad nuked 2 of his 3 recruiting classes here...the very thing we gave him all the praise for. So weird.
SMUer

Postby Cadillac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 am

SMUer wrote:Chad nuked 2 of his 3 recruiting classes here...the very thing we gave him all the praise for. So weird.
I'm a bit confused... He had four classes... Which ones did he nuke?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Cadillac
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 am

You’re correct, he had four cycles, not three; and fumbling the delivery of 2 of his 4 recruiting classes does sound better than 2 of his 3.
Last edited by SMUer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUer

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:02 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Getting back to the original question as to whether the "rise" was real, next year will be very telling. If Chad & Co really did upgrade the talent with these past 3 recruiting classes, then an experienced coach who has shown he can be successful should be able to field a pretty competitive team next year. I have expressed my concerns about the schedule being much more difficult, but if Dykes can lead next year's team to 6 wins, I will be convinced that Morris & Co significantly upgraded the talent on SMU's roster.

Hard to say that our WR group hasn’t been decimated with the players leaving for the NFL as there isn’t anything proven behind them. Proche has shown some flashes of potential. Hopefully Honey and others can step up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 pm

PonySnob wrote:

Hard to say that our WR group hasn’t been decimated with the players leaving for the NFL as there isn’t anything proven behind them. Proche has shown some flashes of potential. Hopefully Honey and others can step up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The defensive talent wasn't upgraded at all. The WR group will tell the tale. Sutton was a June guy, Quinn a lucky transfer godsend. All the rest now Morris guys, most highly thought of with multiple P5 offers. Does June or Morris get credit for Proche? He was on board early because of June and Deion, no?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football