PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former Oregon St. HC Gary Andersen is Dykes' pick for DC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Former Oregon St. HC Gary Andersen is Dykes' pick for DC

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm

ebrooks11 wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Would be a nice hire. It's great to have a cooch who realizes there is more than one phase to the game.

Maybe we will even have a special teams coach too! Imagine that!

It is great to have a cooch that thinks that way.

How about a little Hoochie Koo

https://youtu.be/xbDl97F8TKM
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ozfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Stallion wrote:that would be an excellent choice--he did a great job at Wisconsin-but he was bitter about Wisconsin academic standards and took a bad job in spite. Rarely do you see a successful coach voluntarily take a demotion

Now to get the money to pay him.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby Dwan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Looks like John chivas might head to Arkansas
Dwan
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Stallion wrote:BTW it looks like Andersen has consistently employed a 3-4 defensive scheme at Utah St., Wisconsin and Oregon St. so if he gets the job that's going to significantly affect who we recruit and where our players line up.

Guys like Badejo, Ndukwe and Tyeson Neals might switch off the line, Demerick probably back to DE, Pono is probably your NG with McLaurin fitting at NG too, Scott would fit the DE protype. Probably going to need to sign some more LBs especially Inside LBs and some DEs with size because I'd expect several mentioned above to move off the line. 6-6 Devontay Wheatly kid at Tyler JC looks like he could fit at DE if he can add some weight -he hasn't signed yet.

Richard Moore should be one of your MLBs. Spears looks great "on paper" at MLB but he can't get on the field with a bad defense. I'm not sure what they do with Kyran Mitchell-inside or outside LB? Delano Robinson--I dunno-maybe back to Strong Safety where he played in High school. Might even fit our personnel better quite frankly

I agree - mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I think we have some very interesting fits in a 3-4. It gets us out of trying to recruit the Star position.

I also noticed in the game last night we played a lot of pseudo 3-4 with Scott lining up a little spread on the outside. If you didn't know the players and just looked at how we lined up, there was a lot of a 3-4 look to it.

The only problem I have had with the 3-4 in the past is that while it defends a spread running attack okay, it forces you to play a lot of man/zone hybrids in the passing game. We always had huge holes in the middle of the field and in the flats. We never played a nickel until the last couple of years of the Mason era partially because we didn't have depth at corner or safety, but also because we couldn't stop the run when we tried it.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 pm

smitty329 wrote:Utah was ranked 15th in Total Defense in both 2007 and 2008 - @ 300 YPG and 16 PPG.

Utah State?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 pm

This would be a very good hire imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:30 pm

he was Defensive Coordinator for Utah when they shut down Alabama in Sugar Bowl to go 13-0
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Stallion wrote:he was Defensive Coordinator for Utah when they shut down Alabama in Sugar Bowl to go 13-0

That’s right. Then he got hire by Utah State as head coach if I remember correctly.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Footballscoop now says Gary Andersen ain't happening

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Stallion wrote:he was Defensive Coordinator for Utah when they shut down Alabama in Sugar Bowl to go 13-0

I remember that game. They shut them down in the first half.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Boston Pony » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Won't assume that Andersen is headed this way, because there isn't a reason not to announce it. He isn't coaching anywhere at this point and no reason to 'hide' it. Also, most coaching relationships are built on having worked together or coached against each other at one time or another. I can't think of any connection between Coach Dykes & Coach Andersen. Outside of Football Scoop, no other rumors out there.

The coordinators will be announced after the AFCA convention in January, when all these guys get to meet & interviews can occur in one place. With recruiting shut down until after the convention no lost time except planning, which Sonny can do with those on hand.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:51 pm

no face to face recruiting but they can still contact recruits during a lot of that period in other ways

Stallion

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm

I was surprised his name was even mentioned given our financial numbers. He was making almost $3M and going to come to SMU for what? He could easily get a P5 coord gig for more money and prestige.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:11 pm

ponyinNC wrote:I was surprised his name was even mentioned given our financial numbers. He was making almost $3M and going to come to SMU for what? He could easily get a P5 coord gig for more money and prestige.

He is making zero now and has not gotten any P5 head coaching offfers. What P 5 schools are you talking about? Maybe he could go to a G5 school, maybe.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Boston Pony wrote:Won't assume that Andersen is headed this way, because there isn't a reason not to announce it. He isn't coaching anywhere at this point and no reason to 'hide' it. Also, most coaching relationships are built on having worked together or coached against each other at one time or another. I can't think of any connection between Coach Dykes & Coach Andersen. Outside of Football Scoop, no other rumors out there.

The coordinators will be announced after the AFCA convention in January, when all these guys get to meet & interviews can occur in one place. With recruiting shut down until after the convention no lost time except planning, which Sonny can do with those on hand.

I believe he coached at Oregon State while Coach Dykes was at Cal. So they coached against one another.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football