PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Traylor for HC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Traylor for HC

Postby btom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Long time reader of PonyFans.com, but just got my login. So hopefully this post doesn't offend anybody...

I have been reading the boards and yet to understand why Jeff Traylor bolted before the bowl game? Was that his decision? The schools decision? Sonny Dykes decision? If you agree to wear the Interim (HC) Tag, and you have to know the chance of being hired for the job is a long shot? Than why bolt and leave the offense in such bad shape for the bowl game? Just looking for insight in to why he quit on us days before the bowl game. Thanks!
btom

Re: Traylor for HC

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Because he is a quitter
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Was offered job - long term. Did not want it unless he was head coach. See ya later team.

Like the opera singer warming up. me, me, me, me.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 pm

^^^LMAO
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby CBpony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Because he's a scumbag
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 am

come on you guys. every one of you would like to be in a position to have several job offers and a choice. and if you got one that you viewed better, you'd take it. how much loyalty do these schools offer a coach who was 5-5 last year no matter who was on the schedule? (ans: none, they fire him and eat the contract guarantee) morris has better chance of a stable opportunity to compete at arkansas than here, at what, another milllion per year? (and even if he can't, he'll be in front of actual crowds either way.) if you were not an smu alum, you'd go too.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:29 am

and oh yeah. traylor will have the same view of equivalent positiion smu vs ark.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:46 am

Traylor agreed to be interim coach and walked away from the team late in the process. It was known he was going to UA so that was not an issue. Backing out on one’s word to finish a temp job is low.
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Right as usual Mrydel.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Lefty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Morris and Traylor both handled their exits poorly. Morris looks really bad, but didn't the explanation behind the interim tag for Traylor mention continuity for the players? You abandon a team to go back to an assistant coach position - albeit a lucrative one - just reeks. Lost a lot of respect for both in this process.
Lefty
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:49 pm

I really have no problem with Morris since Traylor was left to handle it. Traylor leaving and doing so out of spite for not being named head coach was a low rent move.
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:14 pm

mrydel wrote:I really have no problem with Morris since Traylor was left to handle it. Traylor leaving and doing so out of spite for not being named head coach was a low rent move.

It's all about the benjamins baby. Family over everything... except a raise.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Cadillac » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:25 pm

originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:how much loyalty do these schools offer a coach who was 5-5 last year no matter who was on the schedule?

That coach gets fired for skipping two games.

-CoS

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Cadillac
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:52 pm

mrydel wrote:I really have no problem with Morris since Traylor was left to handle it. Traylor leaving and doing so out of spite for not being named head coach was a low rent move.

We assume he left for that reason, but wasn't he immediately offered a job on Chad's staff and probably pressured to get busy recruiting for Arkansas? I assumed the latter was his reason for bailing on our guys, but either way, I don't like the way he handled things, especially when he came to SMU talking about "it's all about the relationships with the kids" and "you have to treat these guys like they are your own kids"...or something to that effect. I expect that if you ask our players, most of them are smart enough and mature enough at this point of their lives to understand it's just the nature of this business, but it had to hurt the way the offensive staff bailed so quickly.
Charleston Pony

Postby Julian Grendel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:58 pm

He wanted the HC job. He was named interim. He didn't get HC job. He took his ball and went home.

Those left behind did the right thing, saying it was their idea etc and Sonny fell on the sword.
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football