PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TREY QUINN IS GONE!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TREY QUINN IS GONE!

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Time to go if he wants to play in the NFL. Lead the nation in receptions. Can’t improve his stock with SMU.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Yeah but that wasn't the question from the above poster. I think there was a would you in there.
One Trick Pony

Postby smusic 00 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm

His career ambitions are nfl and mma. I hope he kicks butt at both. He single handedly, literally, saved our season.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Yeah but that wasn't the question from the above poster. I think there was a would you in there.

Well I would as long as they paid me a large upfront bonus because they would be disappointed in my play.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:05 pm

mrydel wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Yeah but that wasn't the question from the above poster. I think there was a would you in there.

Well I would as long as they paid me a large upfront bonus because they would be disappointed in my play.

Out of a million High School football players each year - 64000 get college scholarships - out of that group roughly 300 or so are invited to an NFL combine. Out of that group League minimum wages paid to the majority. A few get fairly decent bonuses. So yeah you're basically one in a million or so if you hit it big time.

For the rest - everybody wants a piece of that first-years action including Uncle Sam trying to help pay back Mom and Dad friends then of course you have to go buy some wheels and a nice car. The next thing you know you're unemployed 3 years later without a career and your back and knee hurts. Yeah no thanks.
One Trick Pony

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:09 pm

OTP is pretty right on. I was surprised the Carmax salesman that helped me was a former NFL running back. He was not even 30. Got hurt, got a new career.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Bronco Nagurski pumped gas into our car in International Falls, MN once. NFL Hall of Famer. Of course salaries were a little different in his day. And at least he did own the station.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Had lunch at one of those football tables with some pretty famous X Cowboys selling real estate in their 40's
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:40 pm

study a few years back showed 78% of NFL players are basically broke 2 years after retirement
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Great move by Trey, and more power to him. Reaching for his goals, doing something he loves. Average case, he lasts the 3 year NFL average, has a few extra bucks in his pocket, makes a lot of connections, 'retires' at 25/26, and moves on to his next job. Best case, he lasts past the 3 year average, starts making and possibly saving real money, while making additional connections as he plans for his future after football at around age 30. Worst case, his NFL dream doesn't work out, he's 'retired' after 2-3 years, has made some good money while spending it all, and he's on to his next job.

Compare that to the average college grad at 25, who's likely on at least their 2nd job, likely having spent as much as they've made, 'broke' just like the 25 year old NFL retiree. Both trying to figure out their future and their next job. The average college student actually less than broke as they pay off 10's of thousands in student loans.

Follow your dreams Mr. Quinn...........you've earned it!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Hope Trey does well. He played with head-long abandon, and was a consistent threat.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:22 am

Trey seems to be a guy who understands the NFL is a way station before getting on with his life's work. Hopefully, he can have success, have a decent career with money and connections that come with that.
Best of luck Trey!
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 am

I hope he does exceedingly well in the NFL if only to keep him out of MMA and UFC.
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 am

Stallion wrote:Not investing in the only real asset the SMU football program had has consequences

Trey Quinn, Mike Woods, Tre Allison, Silas Robinson for starters-how much are they worth

Not investing in the asset? Are you referring to Morris? I believe you pointed out he was the highest paid, or among the highest paid, of the G5 coaches? That doesn't make any sense.

Doesn't anyone on here remember how part of Morris' salary structure was tied to attendance because JJ was so not involved with students or driving attendance? He wasn't frustrated with playing in front of empty seats... he was frustrated with losing money because of empty seats.

Remember how we used to donate tons of seats in the JJ era to families in need? We didn't do that as much during chad morris because he was paid based on attendance (I am guessing that is the reason it stopped).

Morris would have made a lot more money here and possibly stayed if attendance had risen. Factors in that:
* Apathy of SMU fan base and Dallas in general regarding the SMU program.
* Non-existent defense enabled hesitancy to support the program
* Attempted implementation of aggie culture when over as well as the June stallions
* Used car salesman attitude wore thin on some
* Baylor flirtation made it clear he was a short-timer, and kept some folks I know from committing to the program
JasonB

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:59 pm

JasonB wrote:
Doesn't anyone on here remember how part of Morris' salary structure was tied to attendance because JJ was so not involved with students or driving attendance? He wasn't frustrated with playing in front of empty seats... he was frustrated with losing money because of empty seats.

Remember how we used to donate tons of seats in the JJ era to families in need? We didn't do that as much during chad morris because he was paid based on attendance (I am guessing that is the reason it stopped).

Is that true? Jesus. That explains the golf cart rides and his constantly tense body language.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football