PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TREY QUINN IS GONE!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TREY QUINN IS GONE!

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Yes, he had a bunch of money tied into attendance. Some in general attendance and some in student attendance. It does explain the golf cart rides and all of that. He had a really nice base salary that put him at the top of the G5, but the bonuses if they kicked in would have put him at a solid P5 level. That was the hope on both sides - get the attendance right and we can afford to pay him more, and we would be more attractive to a P5 conference.

ON the conspiracy theory angle, I would suggest that we spent less on marketing the team than we did for June. And knowing how SMU loves to make decisions, that may have been an economic decision that the gain in attendance would increase the coach's salary, and have a negative impact on the athletics budget... but that is just me playing the conspiracy theorist :).
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 pm

JasonB wrote:Yes, he had a bunch of money tied into attendance. Some in general attendance and some in student attendance. It does explain the golf cart rides and all of that. He had a really nice base salary that put him at the top of the G5, but the bonuses if they kicked in would have put him at a solid P5 level. That was the hope on both sides - get the attendance right and we can afford to pay him more, and we would be more attractive to a P5 conference.

ON the conspiracy theory angle, I would suggest that we spent less on marketing the team than we did for June. And knowing how SMU loves to make decisions, that may have been an economic decision that the gain in attendance would increase the coach's salary, and have a negative impact on the athletics budget... but that is just me playing the conspiracy theorist :).

Thanks for sharing Jason. Really hope SD does not have attendance clauses in his contract for the very reasons you just spelled out.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 pm

I guess I understand the thought process with the attendance clause: better product on the field the more people that show up the more money the coach gets. Given our horrid attendance, you would think that would kill the ability to recruit a coach. With SD’s Cal contract, it might not matter as I understand it, he gets paid whatever Cal promise minus what SMU actually pays.

I think attendance contracts should apply to AD and marketing department personally.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Julian Grendel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:41 pm

JasonB wrote:Yes, he had a bunch of money tied into attendance. Some in general attendance and some in student attendance. It does explain the golf cart rides and all of that. He had a really nice base salary that put him at the top of the G5, but the bonuses if they kicked in would have put him at a solid P5 level. That was the hope on both sides - get the attendance right and we can afford to pay him more, and we would be more attractive to a P5 conference.

I guess he must've forgotten how many empty seats there were at Texas Stadium for a top 10 team when he rode those FCA buses.
Last edited by Julian Grendel on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:10 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I think attendance contracts should apply to AD and marketing department personally.

Totally agree except they should only apply to the AD as I didn't think we actually had a sports marketing dept. If we do they sure haven't done any marketing.
redpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:33 pm

redpony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I think attendance contracts should apply to AD and marketing department personally.

Totally agree except they should only apply to the AD as I didn't think we actually had a sports marketing dept. If we do they sure haven't done any marketing.

I’ve heard we’ve got like 4 ppl out of college who on occasion google search “how to market”. :lol:
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Seems like a no brainer for some cheap ideas...Cox School of Business marketing class project? When I was in school, we worked with Dallas PD on recruitment of minorities and improving community relations/image. Hopefully our business school appreciates the importance of a winning football program and the role of attendance in building a program. Is today's faculty that anti-athletics that they are not interested in helping?
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Play tcu at home...won’t need marketing for that one.

For houston baptist you will need a miracle. I guess we got a shot with our home conference schedule next year.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 pm

mtrout wrote:Play tcu at home...won’t need marketing for that one.

For houston baptist you will need a miracle. I guess we got a shot with our home conference schedule next year.

HBU might be the home opener which would certainly help
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:58 pm

We could always combine parents day, and homecoming.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mtrout wrote:Play tcu at home...won’t need marketing for that one.

HBU might be the home opener which would certainly help

Home opener is tcu.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Buddha » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 pm

I read on here somewhere that the marketing budget is next to nil.
If that's the case, then it's hard to assess whether the staff can market, if they have no money at their disposal.
Or was it all spent on the billboards?
Buddha
All-American

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Ponyfans is their marketing
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:55 pm

No real proof that was in his contract since no one has seen it. Just speculation and hearsay.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Good move br Trey imo. He is the leading receiver in the country. Have to strike while the iron is hot. Best wishes to him.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football