PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pony Express Record on the Line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pony Express Record on the Line

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Go Sooners-Nick Chubb and Sony Michel need to 235 yards to break the all time tandem rushing record of Dickerson and James

"And now you can put those two 5-star recruits from 2014 on the list. In fact, on the all-time Georgia rushing list, ranking second and third, behind only Walker, are Chubb and Michel. Chubb has 4,599 yards and Michel 3,359. Those 7,958 combined rushing yards are the second-most in NCAA history by teammates, trailing only SMU's Pony Express. Eric Dickerson (4,450) and Craig James (3,742) combined for 8,192 yards."

http://newsok.com/article/5577538?utm_s ... re-Twitter
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Pony Express Record on the Line

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Stallion wrote:Go Sooners-Nick Chubb and Sony Michel need to 235 yards to break the all time tandem rushing record of Dickerson and James

"And now you can put those two 5-star recruits from 2014 on the list. In fact, on the all-time Georgia rushing list, ranking second and third, behind only Walker, are Chubb and Michel. Chubb has 4,599 yards and Michel 3,359. Those 7,958 combined rushing yards are the second-most in NCAA history by teammates, trailing only SMU's Pony Express. Eric Dickerson (4,450) and Craig James (3,742) combined for 8,192 yards."

Wonder how many games they have played compared to Eric and Craig?

http://newsok.com/article/5577538?utm_s ... re-Twitter
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I tried counting it up and I came to the conclusion the Pony Express might have played 1-2 more games. Both Chubb and Michel missed games from injury. I haven't deducted any games for the Pony Express because I'm not sure but I believe they shut down Dickerson in his freshman season after an injury against Texas Tech-the infamous Charles Waggoner/Eric Dickerson KO return team incident where both were injured on same play-which ended Waggoner's career. I know in final game at Arkansas Craig James carried to ball about 35 times. I think Dickerson might have missed some games with a hamstring too. I can't remember James missing any games
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:07 pm

doesn't include bowl games and I don't think it is accurate for Dickerson-I think that's just regular season games by SMU

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 pm

1980 Holiday Bowl:
http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/games.php ... ame_id=397

1981 Pollyester Bowl was factored into the above statistics.

1983 Cotton Bowl:
http://www.smumustangs.com/news/2009/12 ... h=football

I realize we are missing rushing statistics for Craig James in the Cotton Bowl. perhaps we can just use the total rushing yards for SMU or was Reggie Dupard part of the total?
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:21 pm

The 1981 Polyester Bowl was a T-Shirt and/or the regular season final against Arkansas in Fayetteville which we won 32-18 to win our first SWC Championship in 15 years making it "The Next Best Thing to Cotton"

Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 pm

I know! That is why I said those statistics were already accounted for.
mustangxc

Postby Digetydog » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 pm

How many hookers have they killed?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Six.
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm

75 yard run by Michel and 45 yard run by Chubb-I think Pony Express record will likely be broken. Chubb/Michel already have 184 yards rushing on only 8 carries

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm

another 50 yarder by Chubb will just about do it. Chubb/Michel averaging about 26 yards a carry-nice job Sooner Defense

Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Big XII OU defense has no chance of holding GA running game under 250 yards. Good game, though with big momentum swings
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Michel with 38 yard TD run-their average would be even higher but once you get to the endzone they don't give you credit for anymore yards. Geez 4 homeruns

14 carries 280 yards 20.0 yards per carry

Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:23 pm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21936794/sony-michel-nick-chubb-georgia-break-eric-dickerson-craig-james-record-most-combined-yards-duo

LOS ANGELES -- College football has a new top rushing duo.

Georgia running back Sony Michel's 2-yard run with 10:10 left in the third quarter of the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual gave Michel and Nick Chubb 8,194 combined rushing yards in their careers. That moved them past SMU's Eric Dickerson and Craig James (8,193) for the most by a pair of running back teammates in FBS history.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Football