PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Archives from SMU Jones Film Archives-Hayden Fry Interview

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:08 pm

they are going through a lot of WFAA News Tape and preserving it. I was at this game in Ft. Worth-SMU beat TCU in final game 35-22-the entire team walked hand and hand onto the field in protest of Fry's dismissal. Fry was fired with a 7-4 record after ending season with victories over Arkansas, Baylor and TCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZrMxG ... e=youtu.be
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Archives from SMU Jones Film Archives-Hayden Fry Intervi

Postby DFW HOYA » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Pushing Fry out the door was one of the worst mistakes in SMU athletic history. If Fry coaches out his tenure on the Hilltop, SMU becomes a national power and the Meyer- Collins era never happens.
DFW HOYA
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Pushing Fry out the door was what made Fry the Hall of Fame coach he became. It was the best thing that ever happened to him. And I speak that from having been on his team for 4 years.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:34 pm

'Hayden Fry compiled a 49–66–1 record in 11 seasons at SMU, including the school's only three winning seasons since the late 1940s. In Fry's autobiography, Fry stated that he believed his firing was related to several boosters' desire to start a slush fund to pay players and recruits. SMU was the second-smallest school in the Southwest Conference, and had found it difficult to compete over the last two decades against schools double its size or more. When he refused to go along with the plan, Fry said, the boosters pressured the school's new president to fire him. As it turned out, SMU would be hit with NCAA sanctions five times after Fry's departure before having its program completely shut down for the 1987 season due to a massive litany of misconduct. Most of the violations were related to the slush fund Fry had opposed several years earlier.'

............Karma?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Didn’t TCU not get into SMU territory until the 2nd Half of the game.

I seem to recall the players very fired up about that game.

And Mrydel, do you recall a Center for SMU named Bill Hart?
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Bill was there with me. Due to being concussed several times I do not recall if he was in my class but we were there at the same time.
mrydel

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:30 pm

DFW HOYA wrote:Pushing Fry out the door was one of the worst mistakes in SMU athletic history.

The nut-job regime that followed was a nightmare.
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Dave Smith was an idol of mine and such a nice person. Not sure what happened to him when he got the head coaching job but apparently he was not meant to be one.
mrydel

Postby oilpony » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 pm

mrydel wrote:Dave Smith was an idol of mine and such a nice person. Not sure what happened to him when he got the head coaching job but apparently he was not meant to be one.

He was also bad at designing uniforms
oilpony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:57 pm

I agree. I was in New York when he took over and that was pre internet days so I really did not know what was going on until a few years later.
mrydel

Postby northtexsmu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:18 am

I remember when Dave Smith got the job, and he changed SMUs uniforms for what ever reason. They had red jerseys, silver helmets, and No Mustang on the helmets. They didn't look that bad, but just were not SMUs colors etc. We looked more like OHIO STATE instead of SMU. But we did not play like ohio st.
northtexsmu
Recruit

Postby SMUPhil » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:03 am

And (i was not there myself) I believe I heard that his first game as HC was against New Mexico, who's colors were also some combo of red and silver/grey. As the teams ran out of the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl, the SMU fans weren't sure which team to even cheer for.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:49 am

mrydel wrote:Pushing Fry out the door was what made Fry the Hall of Fame coach he became. It was the best thing that ever happened to him. And I speak that from having been on his team for 4 years.

I've not read Fry's autobiography and don't know if it is mentioned, but my memory is that one of the strictures the university imposed was a limit on the number of football scholarships long before the NCAA annual and overall limits on such. The effect was that SMU was bringing in about half as many freshmen each year as the biggest SWC programs. I take it you were one of Fry's players under those conditions.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 am

I was the last (35th or 38th) player to sign with SMU my year and I believe that was our largest class ever. UT and UA as comparison would sign a minimum of 60 ( I believe that was the limit then) and then use scholarships from other sports to add more. The SWC also had set minimum SAT scores. Required scores for anyone at SMU were higher and athletes had to meet the higher required scores.

And let me add, as I have posted before, although I know it was best for Hayden to be let go when he was, he was and is still one of my favorite people in the world. He provided me with continued scholarship after I was hurt which he did not have to do, which allowed me to graduate. He had promised me in the beginning he would do so if something were to happen (I was on a year to year deal) and he stood by his word. He is a hero to me.
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 am

Mark, imagine the "novelty" today of a HC saying what he means, and keeping his word. That coach would be an anomaly.

Fry was a hero to many folks during that time, and has "aged well" in comparison to some other SWC coaches of the time that were less than happy to integrate, and less than forthcoming in keeping their word.

Great story about a great man...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football