PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UCF

Postby sacklunch » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 am

Congrats to them, it’s a shame we don’t get to watch them play Bama or Georgia for the national championship.

If SMU keeps scheduling a cupcake OOC schedule we could potentially end up in the same situation one day where we are actually good but we are undefeated against Arkansas state and UNT etc... and we get left out of having the opportunity to be in the playoffs

Pony Fans will lose their minds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Re: UCF

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 am

Its almost mathematically impossible for a G5 to make the NCAA Playoffs because of the calculation formula. UH had a chance because it had a strong non-conference schedule but SMU ruined it. I still doubt that UH would have made it at 13-0 but they were just about the only team that scheduled up enough to have even a fraction of a chance
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sacklunch » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:30 am

I think Houston would have made it had they gone undefeated. They had a strong OOC and there was another ranked team or two in the conference.

Also UCF was supposed to play Florida State but the game got canceled due to the hurricane. UCF may have had a shot with a more bolstered resume.

We just need to continue to schedule TCU and another strong program (Baylor, Tech, Michigan, etc..)

sacklunch
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:40 am

sacklunch wrote:I think Houston would have made it had they gone undefeated. They had a strong OOC and there was another ranked team or two in the conference.

Also UCF was supposed to play Florida State but the game got canceled due to the hurricane. UCF may have had a shot with a more bolstered resume.

We just need to continue to schedule TCU and another strong program (Baylor, Tech, Michigan, etc..)

It was Georgia Tech that the game was cancelled against.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:17 am

I have to laugh at the thought of a G5 ever being allowed in the playoff the way it is now structured. First, no matter what the OOC schedule is, you still play a relatively weak conference schedule. 2nd, P5 will never let it happen. As one commentator put it, the G5 is the little kid sitting at the card table at Thanksgiving. Pat on the head and a smile.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 am

G5 will not be invited unless/until the playoffs are expanded to 8 teams to allow all P5 champs and 3 wildcards, which would at least allow an undefeated G5 team to be considered. Still no guarantee they would get in and even this year UCF was not highly enough ranked to have gotten in. AAC needs to continue scheduling P5 non-conference games as often as possible and until we win those games, nothing is going to change.
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 am

Winning the Peach Bowl over a traditional power is very special. Congrats to UCF! I'm pleased that Scott Frost and the whole staff stayed and saw the team through the bowl game.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 am

tristatecoog wrote:Winning the Peach Bowl over a traditional power is very special. Congrats to UCF! I'm pleased that Scott Frost and the whole staff stayed and saw the team through the bowl game.

They are obviously a class act- much better than the POS that left here before our bowl game.
redpony

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am

it wont change without a law suit, and that wont happen when everyone outside the cartel wants inside the cartel.

The only hope for expansion is money - when they see they can do a lot better with 8 teams, and also this year you have both PAC and Big on the outside looking in, which they will hate.

8 team is out only shot, and only then if one is reserved for the top non P5.
gostangs

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 am

If they move to 8, I suspect there will be a push to make it easier for at least 1 G5 team to get into the playoff. That would mean an 8 seed. So, you would see, for example a UCF/Clemson first round match-up. And if they won, they'd face the winner of Alabama/Wisconsin. It would be an uphill climb for any G5 to win three games against top 7 opponents.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:20 am

tristatecoog wrote:Winning the Peach Bowl over a traditional power is very special. Congrats to UCF! I'm pleased that Scott Frost and the whole staff stayed and saw the team through the bowl game.

Frost and staff did a great job...I noticed that he was still coaching (and disciplining) players till the final gun.

Class.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm

I'd bet Frost has much greater success than Morris over his career. Great coach and a great person who the players truly love and appreciate. None of the fake Morris nonsense.

Good luck to Frost and Nebraska, I'll be silently rooting for the Huskers.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy101 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 pm

G5 team in the playoff? it would be difficult and a lot of different things would need to happen. They would need to be undefeated while beating 1 power 5 ranked team and a second coming against a ranked conference team while winning their conference championship. the only way a G5 team can get in is if they are ranked in the top 25 pre season then go undefeated. USF was ranked 22 and if they went an undefeated 14-0 (in their case 13-0) they would have gotten in. Or if a team like Boise st goes 14-0 their in. People say UCF didn’t get the respect it deserved because of its schedule, I believe it’s because UCF didn’t have a 8-10 win season during the 2016-2017 season. For a g5 team to be in contention for the playoff it must have had a 8-10 win season previous to the playoff run and go undefeated. Which isn’t impossible, will be done at some point in time.
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:47 pm

It will never happen.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustang1992 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Goes to show you that you can follow opportunities AND still have class and character, the two are not mutually exclusive, despite what some on here would have us believe.

But keep your heads up Mustangs, we're just three recruiting classes and an IPF away from a competitive program. LOL
mustang1992
All-American

Next

Return to Football