PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Report: Randy Clements to SMU as OLine Coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Report: Randy Clements to SMU as OLine Coach

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm

comes from Sic'em 365 fka BaylorFans.com. Started at Co-Offensive Coordinator but then was OLine Coach and Offensive Running Game Coordinator. Replaced by Montgomery and then Kendal Briles as Coordinator. Spent last year at Southeastern in Lakeland Florida an NAIA school.

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/22177

Here's his bio at Baylor under Briles

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-foo ... ndy00.html
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Report: Randy Clements to SMU as OLine Coach

Postby peruna81 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Just talked to the former O Line player from Navasota who played for him at Baylor...he said we will love and appreciate his work ethic and his ability.

Baylor improved radically under his tutelage.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Julian Grendel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Hope no one else snatches him up first.
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Black Horseshoe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Julian Grendel wrote:Hope no one else snatches him up first.

What a shocker
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 pm

I don’t know the coach so not sure what to think. While his Baylor background sounds fine, I’m guessing he had a bit of a black stain from the fiasco there. It doesn’t sound impressive when you are pulling someone from a no name college. Not like I was expecting to pull someone from Alabama by any means.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Julian Grendel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm

He was at Houston w Briles, who he followed to Baylor. Storm clouds blew in and he spent a year under the radar in FL. Good hire if we pull it off
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 pm

yeah he goes back all the way to 2003 with Briles as an original Briles hire in his first year at UH and then Baylor. He's a very well respected Coach who has got some big time commitments over the years. Considered among the better Offensive Line Coaches in Big 12
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 am

Okay then it sounds like he’s a good hire who we might help his redemption given the Baylor background. My last curious thought is: will students respond negatively to his hire? Even if he had nothing to do with it, the close association to Briles might mess things up.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Okay then it sounds like he’s a good hire who we might help his redemption given the Baylor background. My last curious thought is: will students respond negatively to his hire? Even if he had nothing to do with it, the close association to Briles might mess things up.

Baylor is the scene of the crime; they are killing it in recruiting...so it won't hurt us. This is a terrific hire. It also sends a signal, that Sonny already knows who the OC is.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote: My last curious thought is: will students respond negatively to his hire? Even if he had nothing to do with it, the close association to Briles might mess things up.

man are you ever going to be positive about this new staff and anything they do?
seems like you have to qualify every thing you say about them..."well it looks good BUT...."
come on '11 jump on board man...it's time to support our new coaches
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Okay then it sounds like he’s a good hire who we might help his redemption given the Baylor background. My last curious thought is: will students respond negatively to his hire? Even if he had nothing to do with it, the close association to Briles might mess things up.

lol. Yes nothing gets the SMU student body more riled up and ready to pick up a pitchfork like hiring an offensive line coach.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:02 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote: My last curious thought is: will students respond negatively to his hire? Even if he had nothing to do with it, the close association to Briles might mess things up.

man are you ever going to be positive about this new staff and anything they do?
seems like you have to qualify every thing you say about them..."well it looks good BUT...."
come on '11 jump on board man...it's time to support our new coaches

I'm only asking questions on possible issues. At this point, I went from negative to slightly negative on the hire. I'll support the team no matter what, but I'm just not sold on Dykes yet. This does mean I'm not going to rant against him. My main concern was the whole Tennessee thing when they try to bring someone in a former Perv state coach, and I didn't want that to happen to SMU.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 am

StallionsModelT wrote:

lol. Yes nothing gets the SMU student body more riled up and ready to pick up a pitchfork like hiring an offensive line coach.

Ugh. It's not his title but where he came from and background. I don't think the Perv state coach had anything to do with Sandusky yet Tennessee fans threw a revolt on his candidacy. I know O-line coach is not going to have the same publicity as HC but you never know what the minds at DMN are going to do.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:09 am

This would be a SOLID get if we can make it happen. Really like the fact that, in addition to the monsters he used to roll out at Baylor, he has a strong background (see what I did there, a double entendre) in powerlifting.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby OLfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 am

Has anyone seen any other reports confirming this hire? The only outlet I can find reporting it is the Baylor board link that Stallion posted. Interesting that the OP of the SicEm thread congratulates Clements for getting Livingston to commit to SMU.

Man, if Clements can recruit/sign talent and is actually "as advertised" as an OL coach, than sounds like a homerun.....if, in fact he's actually hired. :)
OLfan
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football