PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rhett Lashlee

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rhett Lashlee

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

I heard due to the buyout we are not paying him 2M the next 2 years but then after that it's 2M per year
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Hold on. We don’t know how much Dykes is getting from us. He might have an enhanced budget because Cal is subsidizing his salary. If Cal was able to lower the buyout, I’m sure there would be an announcement.

He's being paid the same as Morris. Stop this nonsense

Source? If anything, I would give a round of applause if they only paid Dykes let's say $500k and he was guaranteed like what $2.5m that Cal would have to still pay $2.0M.

You're kidding right? Are you that new around here? You seriously can't figure this out yourself?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Super hire!!!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Fooball » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:19 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:I heard due to the buyout we are not paying him 2M the next 2 years but then after that it's 2M per year
In the comments on this Cal site, they seem to be pretty sure that his Cal contract would not help subsidize a back-loaded contract at a subsequent head coaching stop, which makes sense.

Also notable that many of these posters seem to have a positive view of Sonny, despite what went down at Cal.

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/f ... ach-buyout

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Fooball
Junior Varsity

Postby ozfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:36 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Mentored by Gus Mahlzhan all the way back to high school which is interesting because he's not an Air Raid guy but rather a power spread guy
That's very telling, in that SFD is willing to morph and adjust his bellcow offense unlike some previous holders of the SMU HFC throne (June)

Smart coaches use a system that best suits the talent on hand.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
He's being paid the same as Morris. Stop this nonsense

Source? If anything, I would give a round of applause if they only paid Dykes let's say $500k and he was guaranteed like what $2.5m that Cal would have to still pay $2.0M.

You're kidding right? Are you that new around here? You seriously can't figure this out yourself?

No.. I’m sure the numbers off but methodology is sound. There’s no public info on his new salary. You’re assuming we are paying what Chad was paid, right? Didn’t we announce that immediately, why didn’t we do it for this hire? Honest question. No smart [deleted] comments required, lol.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:49 pm

ozfan wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Mentored by Gus Mahlzhan all the way back to high school which is interesting because he's not an Air Raid guy but rather a power spread guy
That's very telling, in that SFD is willing to morph and adjust his bellcow offense unlike some previous holders of the SMU HFC throne (June)

Smart coaches use a system that best suits the talent on hand.

After watching Hicks up close, and in the bowl game, Dykes knows he can't possibly run his air raid offense without disastrous consequences. (especially without Sutton & Quinn)

Very smart to bring a run-first guy on board to try and figure out something that will actually work.

Running the ball/clock also the best way to keep that D off the field.
Last edited by footballdad on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Dykes is not being paid the same as Morris.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby stc9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Dykes is not being paid the same as Morris.

I'm sort of hoping that he Dykes did a "Charlie Strong". USF has paid Charlie $500k while the Teasips were paying $4.5m (I don't know if that is over now). When/I f the buyout is over, USF bumps his pay to $2.5m. I would love it in the tradition of F*^k off if Sonny signed for $100k until the buyout was done by Cal. I really, really like Charlie for sticking it to UT.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 pm

As far as the Lashlee hire, I actually really love it. Morris created/adapted his offense from Gus Malzahn. This hire can be a solid bridge between Morris' and Dykes' philosophy. In short-term theory this could maximize our current talent while we transition to more of an air raid style - a bridge from the past to the future.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Wasn’t Lashlee on the hot seat at Auburn before he left on take a pay cut to take the UConn job? Anyway, let’s hope he does better at SMU than he did at UConn. One positive thing is he has SEC recruiting roots so that could help SMU to get some solid players.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 pm

I think until Air Raid Offense wins something the Air Raid should merge toward a power running attack--Baylor probably combined the two offenses the best
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Julian Grendel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Stallion wrote:I think until Air Raid Offense wins something the Air Raid should merge toward a power running attack--Baylor probably combined the two offenses the best
But only to the extent someone pays market value right?
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 pm

I guess we'll find out in about 3 years
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RebStang » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Wasn’t Lashlee on the hot seat at Auburnbefore he left on take a pay cut to take the UConn job? Anyway, let’s hope he does better at SMU than he did at UConn. One positive thing is he has SEC recruiting roots so that could help SMU to get some solid players.

I don't know if "hot seat" is the right term but I do know that none of my Auburn friends were Lashlee 'fans'.

My Auburn friends all felt that Lashlee was given too much control over the offense and that he caused a lot of their problems the 2 years before he left for UConn. I think it was probably more an issue of a head coach handing over 'control' without actually wanting to give up control... 2 coordinators on the same side of ball rarely works well, in my opinion.
RebStang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football