PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rhett Lashlee

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rhett Lashlee

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 pm

RebStang wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Wasn’t Lashlee on the hot seat at Auburnbefore he left on take a pay cut to take the UConn job? Anyway, let’s hope he does better at SMU than he did at UConn. One positive thing is he has SEC recruiting roots so that could help SMU to get some solid players.

I don't know if "hot seat" is the right term but I do know that none of my Auburn friends were Lashlee 'fans'.

My Auburn friends all felt that Lashlee was given too much control over the offense and that he caused a lot of their problems the 2 years before he left for UConn. I think it was probably more an issue of a head coach handing over 'control' without actually wanting to give up control... 2 coordinators on the same side of ball rarely works well, in my opinion.

I knew there was tension there before he left Auburn.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ReedFrawg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Wasn’t Lashlee on the hot seat at Auburn before he left on take a pay cut to take the UConn job? Anyway, let’s hope he does better at SMU than he did at UConn. One positive thing is he has SEC recruiting roots so that could help SMU to get some solid players.

I can buy someone leaving to become primary play caller. However, moving from auburn OC to Uconn? He must have been told to look around. (I suspect this is similar to Meacham leaving TCU to take OC job at kansas.)
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Auburn is one of the toughest jobs there is-with fans with short memories

Lashlee was 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 in last 3 years as Offensive Coordinator at Auburn when decided to take a job that dropped his salary from $600,000 to $350,000

But that's not so remarkable-Head Coach Gene Chizak was fired only a couple of years after winning a National Championship

But this is the funniest-let's call it Auburn's 7 year 49 Million Dollar guaranteed contract problem-Gus Malzahn’s Approval Rating Has Fallen From 95-To-37-Percent Since Iron Bowl Win

http://thespun.com/sec/auburn/gus-malza ... g-contract
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Wasn’t Lashlee on the hot seat at Auburn before he left on take a pay cut to take the UConn job? Anyway, let’s hope he does better at SMU than he did at UConn. One positive thing is he has SEC recruiting roots so that could help SMU to get some solid players.

I can buy someone leaving to become primary play caller. However, moving from auburn OC to Uconn? He must have been told to look around. (I suspect this is similar to Meacham leaving TCU to take OC job at kansas.)

As long as he was at Auburn, it was going to be Malzahn’s offense. Even if he got to call plays, he was going to be second fiddle. It made it hard for him to earn a HC job.

By taking the Uconn job, he took a party cut. But, the offense was his. With limited talent, they made major strides. Result: SMU had to outbid some P5 teams for his services. If he does well for us, he will probably land an AAC HC job in 1-2 seasons.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm sure he got pushed out at Auburn - you don't go to UConn and take a 35% pay cut voluntarily. However that doesn't mean he isn't great at what he does. Humans are weird and someone might have gotten tired of him or threatened or whatever. UConn stint showed some talent - cause that is a pretty bare cupboard.
gostangs

Postby ATLPonyDad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 pm

FWIW...ran into a UConn OL commit at Publix in Atlanta this morning who is a classmate of our H.S. Senior son...told me Rhett Lashlee was heading to Dallas as OC as already announced and believes he is great guy and good pick-up for SMU.

Pony Up!
ATLPonyDad
Recruit

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:15 pm

ATLPonyDad wrote:FWIW...ran into a UConn OL commit at Publix in Atlanta this morning who is a classmate of our H.S. Senior son...told me Rhett Lashlee was heading to Dallas as OC as already announced and believes he is great guy and good pick-up for SMU.

Pony Up!

...and, of course: you suggested this kid reconsider his commitment!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Digetydog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
ATLPonyDad wrote:FWIW...ran into a UConn OL commit at Publix in Atlanta this morning who is a classmate of our H.S. Senior son...told me Rhett Lashlee was heading to Dallas as OC as already announced and believes he is great guy and good pick-up for SMU.

Pony Up!

...and, of course: you suggested this kid reconsider his commitment!

All but one of Uconn’s commits have signed.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:34 pm

And, of course, it would have been a violation to “recruit” him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ATLPonyDad » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 pm

He is a great kid, but is it now "OK" to get recruits not from DFW?? SMU is a national University that has strong connections and a good reputation at many schools across the country so just maybe there are some worthy recruits. It makes sense to focus on Texas talent first and foremost, but with such a large group of students from California, Florida, Georgia, etc...I am hoping Sonny and his staff expand the footprint a bit.
ATLPonyDad
Recruit

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 pm

ATLPonyDad wrote:He is a great kid, but is it now "OK" to get recruits not from DFW?? SMU is a national University that has strong connections and a good reputation at many schools across the country so just maybe there are some worthy recruits. It makes sense to focus on Texas talent first and foremost, but with such a large group of students from California, Florida, Georgia, etc...I am hoping Sonny and his staff expand the footprint a bit.

Yeah, let's splurge and use a full tank of gas.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Let's get a bus full of beef and corn fed mid-western lineman down here to tour the boulevard during the sun dress and cowboy boot part of the season.
smitty329
All-American

Previous

Return to Football