PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The other side of the transaction wire

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The other side of the transaction wire

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: The other side of the transaction wire

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 pm

CA Mustang wrote:http://footballscoop.com/news/handle-fired-according-coach-just-got-fired/

:roll:
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 pm

SMU DC was the pinnacle of his coaching career. If his coaching game, would have been as good as his talking game, he might not be looking for work.

Somebody will throw him a bone, at some level. Good luck Van.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:48 pm

When the ncaa moves to 30 coaches he can be trash can basketball coordinator at Oklahoma
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am

I always got the feeling that Morris promised him that he would be around long enough that they would have time to recruit the defense and get it going once the offense was secure. He may be a bad DC, but he wasn’t really given a fair shot IMO due to Morris structuring everything to make his offense look good first and foremost. Seemed to me our D made more big game winning plays than the O did.
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Monty_The_Mustang wrote:I always got the feeling that Morris promised him that he would be around long enough that they would have time to recruit the defense and get it going once the offense was secure. He may be a bad DC, but he wasn’t really given a fair shot IMO due to Morris structuring everything to make his offense look good first and foremost. Seemed to me our D made more big game winning plays than the O did.

Reflects my take on the situation. Now he has been hung out to dry.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 am

Van got a raw deal. He may not have ben the greatest coordinator in the history of football, but he was given no talent- defensive recruiting didn't seem to improve over JJ's efforts, the offense got all the attention, and from what I saw this season, it was our defense that managed to hold the line in the closing minutes in games or we would have been a 4 win team. Games where , if the offense was as good as billed, shouldn't have relied on the defense to hold.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:Van got a raw deal. He may not have ben the greatest coordinator in the history of football, but he was given no talent- defensive recruiting didn't seem to improve over JJ's efforts, the offense got all the attention, and from what I saw this season, it was our defense that managed to hold the line in the closing minutes in games or we would have been a 4 win team. Games where , if the offense was as good as billed, shouldn't have relied on the defense to hold.

Tough to coach D with linebackers who lacked speed, corners who were too small and lacked speed and no experience at the safety positions. In addition, the D line lacked depth and was part of the reason the corners and safeties got hung out. Throw in the number of times the O failed to run some time off the clock giving the D some rest and you have a failed D.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Agreed. Again, I can't say if he was a good DC or not, but his defenses managed to hold the line with spit, bailing wire and willpower when our vaunted offense sputtered. He seemed to spin just enough straw into gold to get us to 7-4.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Defense won the Cincinnati and Tulane games. Tulsa beat themselves.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football