PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Road to the Frisco Bowl Began 50 Years Ago

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Road to the Frisco Bowl Began 50 Years Ago

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Road to the Frisco Bowl Began 50 Years Ago

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm guessing it wasn't very popular to pay to drive on the Tollway when Preston Road was still a highway. That must've been one of the first Tollways in Texas.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 pm

I-30 between Ft. Worth and Dallas used to be the DFW Turnpike. North Dallas Tollway was also supposed to be returned to the Highway system when it was built
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:56 pm

I prefer tollways. Yeah it sucks spending money but keeps needless traffic off and they actually have their [deleted] together when building or maintaining the roads. 75, as an example, is a joke. There’s a “dead lane” that use to be the HOV southbound. 75/GWB is a [deleted] show. It’s taking them forever to just get stuff done.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am

I remember driving on LBJ Freeway, circa 1970, and sometimes I would be the only car in sight. No other vehicles. Many of us wondered why they built that road way out in the middle of nowhere. I think about those times when I'm stuck in traffic there now.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

H-E-B Mustang wrote:I remember driving on LBJ Freeway, circa 1970, and sometimes I would be the only car in sight. No other vehicles. Many of us wondered why they built that road way out in the middle of nowhere. I think about those times when I'm stuck in traffic there now.

Exactly. I used to curse the excessive spending on that boondoggle of a thoroughfare as I too would be the sole driver in view. Now it cannot handle the truth.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Kids these days can't imagine a Central Expressway that was two lanes on each side and at ground level.

Speaking of which, my 22 year old son was in a very scary accident on New Years Day right under SMU/Yale Blvd. Clipped a stopped car doing 60 and rolled his vehicle down Central. (Had to kick out his window to exit the car for fear that his car would be hit by oncoming traffic). Amazingly ended up with only a scratch on his hand. Driver of the car he hit was ok as well. No alcohol involved.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 pm

I was born in Dallas around the time original Central was completed. My dad said it was outdated the day it was completed.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Also Central stopped at Downtown and you had to drive through Downtown to get to the Cotton Bowl

Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I didn't remember that it stopped at downtown.
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I live in Orange County which is 35 miles from Los Angeles. There are 2 freeways that get you to LA, the 405 and the 5. The 5 is the oldest and most used. It has been under 'remodeling' construction for some 30 years and will probably be completed 20 years from now, or 50 years in total.

3 years ago I stayed in one of China's largest cities (I know this city quite well). There is a main street that I use multiple times a day. When I left, there virtually no signs of any expansion construction, absolutely ZERO. My wife and I drove on this street well over 200 times during our 3-month stay there.

I returned to this city almost to the day 1 year later. To my surprise, they had double decked ~5 miles of this vital street, all in less than 1 year.

Now I realize the quality control in America is much greater, but there is something to be admired about the Chinese and their ability to go about their business.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm

My guess would be too little oversight and regulation on the Chinese construction, and I know too much oversight and regulation on US construction.
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:22 pm

ponyboy

Postby redpony » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm

had a frat brother and friend that owned the land where the galleria is today. he sold it to Hines. I am sure he smiles every day he drives down lBJ. He also was smart enough to buy options on miles of farm land going up preston to frisco. poor boy. NOT.
redpony

Return to Football