PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ruminations on our IPF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ruminations on our IPF

Postby gostangs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:Thank you for your cogent response. I do get that they are two separate issues, but the nexus is that way we've performed with the IPF is indicative of the greater problems with the other.

I'm not sure why one site would cost twice what the other site costs. Even if that's true, my concern is mostly the haphazard manner which we seem to do everything. This is just a glaring example lack of foresight, planning and execution.

Two reasons - both discussed earlier - but as a reminder 1) no need to relocate the soccer field and 2) removing the bells and whistles (and size) associated with the indoor track.

Without the track it fits nicely in the spot it is going, at about half the cost. It is now a good example of value engineering and execution. You should be patting them on the back for not wasting money.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyKai » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am

Also no need for LEED certification which knocks millions off the price tag.
PonyKai

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm not going to complain about building an IPF that someone else is paying for, that's for them to decide. I will ask why on earth do we need another "Event Center"? Was the Miller not enough? Hughes Trigg? Ford Stadium? They can all be used to host events. Maybe we just make that much money off them, I don't know. It just seems strange to me.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm

My guess is that since it will be replacing the area for the Mustang Club Blvd seating and the area that recruits are taken for Blvd meal that it will be used in that capacity also. Just a guess.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I'm not going to complain about building an IPF that someone else is paying for, that's for them to decide. I will ask why on earth do we need another "Event Center"? Was the Miller not enough? Hughes Trigg? Ford Stadium? They can all be used to host events. Maybe we just make that much money off them, I don't know. It just seems strange to me.

I can't speak for the guy cutting the check, but third hand it was created so that the IPF can be self funding once it is built. Rent it out to pay for upkeep since it is right across from Perkins. Also the business school can use it for functions too.
smupony94

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 pm

The tenting of the quad for whatever big event(s) they have there every year runs deep into six figures. Event center solves that problem.
RGV Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

mrydel wrote:My guess is that since it will be replacing the area for the Mustang Club Blvd seating and the area that recruits are taken for Blvd meal that it will be used in that capacity also. Just a guess.

I will believe they let us in there when I see it
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mtrout » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:Another POSITIVE possibility is that the EC could have bathrooms, etc. available to people enjoying The Boulevard on game days.

I'm sold.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 pm

That’s what the bushes next to Boaz are for.
ponyboy

Postby PonySnob » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 pm

ponyboy wrote:That’s what the bushes next to Boaz are for.

Any bush around Boaz is typically well trimmed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Cox is always open. Amateurs... :roll:
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 pm

PonySnob wrote:
ponyboy wrote:That’s what the bushes next to Boaz are for.

Any bush around Boaz is typically well trimmed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Republican.....
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Cox is always open. Amateurs... :roll:

As is Meadows
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Plumbing ruins the experience.
ponyboy

Postby PonyKai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

smupony94 wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:I'm not going to complain about building an IPF that someone else is paying for, that's for them to decide. I will ask why on earth do we need another "Event Center"? Was the Miller not enough? Hughes Trigg? Ford Stadium? They can all be used to host events. Maybe we just make that much money off them, I don't know. It just seems strange to me.

I can't speak for the guy cutting the check, but third hand it was created so that the IPF can be self funding once it is built. Rent it out to pay for upkeep since it is right across from Perkins. Also the business school can use it for functions too.

Also, who the hell cares about making it multi-purpose. Doesn't hurt for Title IX purposes, because now it's not a "football only" facility (yes I know that football is treated "differently" under the pertinent regulations). And it in no way impacts being an asset to the program.

In short, y'all are just way too easy to troll (Not 94). The money for this has always been there. There was never any issue with it. It was always going to get built. The length is fine. The location is fine. It's cheaper because it's not LEED and we don't have to move and build a new soccer stadium. And who the hell cares if it doesn't have an office for some niche scientist measuring horses running. It's a football facility to improve our football program. And the event center will generate some cash on the side and let more people take a leak during the Bouelvard. Also, did yall happen to notice that the funding including a sizable gift from David Miller's son? You know, when a school is supported by a small group of wealthy alumni that are...aging...and a pretty darn young and rich one cuts a check for $5M with a fair sized portion going to the IPF that's....not insignificant.

Oh and communication is so bad and the administration is so un-supportive that when Sonny suggested they make some changes to the layout to give the team more operating room, they implemented it immediately without even asking any questions.
PonyKai

PreviousNext

Return to Football