PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ruminations on our IPF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ruminations on our IPF

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:43 pm

mtrout wrote:Understood. We used our premium space for the Tennis Complex and the Bush Library walking trails and bordering intramural lacrosse/tennis courts.

I still can't believe the tennis complex is where it is
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Not that I cruise down Mockingbird Lane all the time but I have never seen a soul using or attending that beautiful temple to tennis
SMUer

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:16 pm

They could have put tennis where the lacrosse field is now. Looking at he satellite view of google maps on that area is frustrating. Do that then just make the intramural field north of moody nicer. I have almost never seen anyone use the lacrosse or intramural fields or intramural tennis courts.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:26 pm

mtrout wrote:They could have put tennis where the lacrosse field is now. Looking at he satellite view of google maps on that area is frustrating. Do that then just make the intramural field north of moody nicer. I have almost never seen anyone use the lacrosse or intramural fields or intramural tennis courts.

IPF belongs along Mockingbird in the strip mall space adjacent to the lacrosse field. Problem was $$$$ as there would be issues with underground facilities and narrowing of Mockingbird at stages of the construction. We took the quick and cheapest way out and will in up with a limited facility that kills the look and open space on the campus.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm

IPF belongs across Central where it won’t be an eyesore to the rest of the university.
mustangxc

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:07 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
mtrout wrote:They could have put tennis where the lacrosse field is now. Looking at he satellite view of google maps on that area is frustrating. Do that then just make the intramural field north of moody nicer. I have almost never seen anyone use the lacrosse or intramural fields or intramural tennis courts.

IPF belongs along Mockingbird in the strip mall space adjacent to the lacrosse field. Problem was $$$$ as there would be issues with underground facilities and narrowing of Mockingbird at stages of the construction. We took the quick and cheapest way out and will in up with a limited facility that kills the look and open space on the campus.

I guess you don't realize there was a building on that site for about 70 years? Also, the size is exactly the same as TCU, and their's is about the same distance from their stadium, and they seem to be squeaking by with it.

It by all means keep harping on this like a bunch of little ol ladies.
gostangs

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 am

"It by all means keep harping on this like a bunch of little ol ladies"

Sorry, but this is all on you little ol gentlemen. Don't be blaming the little ol ladies for this. 8)
Last edited by smusportspage on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 pm

...Aaaand we seem to have come full circle. Why are we wasting money on something that won't help recruiting, won't make us stand out from competitors, won't really help other sports and we're going to stick it in a part of campus that is too small and not a good location for a number of reasons? It seems like a very poor stewardship of the university's resources to just, "Check a box," especially for a sport that we are not all that successful at and apparently nobody really cares about except for a few alums.

Further, I think we really do need to rethink our athletics policy. If we, in the heart of one of the wealthiest metropolitan areas in the country, cannot raise enough funds to relocate the soccer program into their own stadium (one of the few sports where we were once a regular national threat) to build an IPF (of any type or size) in a logical part of the campus, then how do we realistically expect to compete? Seriously? We found the money for a lacrosse stadium, and we don't even have a varsity lacrosse team. I know an alum donated it, but there are no alums who support soccer? And okay, if we can't do the IPF right (and basically the consensus seems to be we're just throwing it up to check a box) and apparently we're not, shouldn't we spend that money on something else, like maybe something to help us be more competitively academically, another place where we seem to be stagnating? I don't know, build a satellite campus in DC or London or create a new laboratory research center in Dallas, or expand the library, put it to the incredible shrinking endowment, or [insert your own good idea/pet project here]?
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:32 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:...Aaaand we seem to have come full circle. Why are we wasting money on something that won't help recruiting, won't make us stand out from competitors, won't really help other sports and we're going to stick it in a part of campus that is too small and not a good location for a number of reasons? It seems like a very poor stewardship of the university's resources to just, "Check a box," especially for a sport that we are not all that successful at and apparently nobody really cares about except for a few alums.

Further, I think we really do need to rethink our athletics policy. If we, in the heart of one of the wealthiest metropolitan areas in the country, cannot raise enough funds to relocate the soccer program into their own stadium (one of the few sports where we were once a regular national threat) to build an IPF (of any type or size) in a logical part of the campus, then how do we realistically expect to compete? Seriously? We found the money for a lacrosse stadium, and we don't even have a varsity lacrosse team. I know an alum donated it, but there are no alums who support soccer? And okay, if we can't do the IPF right (and basically the consensus seems to be we're just throwing it up to check a box) and apparently we're not, shouldn't we spend that money on something else, like maybe something to help us be more competitively academically, another place where we seem to be stagnating? I don't know, build a satellite campus in DC or London or create a new laboratory research center in Dallas, or expand the library, put it to the incredible shrinking endowment, or [insert your own good idea/pet project here]?

Only a very small number of misinformed people think it is not being done right - and it is in a perfectly rational location where it will fit just fine. Again - exact size of TCU's - but in a much nicer building, and they seem to be doing just fine in football. You are just incorrect about that assessment.

in addition, our endowment is not shrinking, it is growing. And we have a new research building that is about to break ground as well. Its difficult to keep up with all the ways you are incorrect, but ill keep trying.
gostangs

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Use the cash to fund a baseball program - BOOM!
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:...Aaaand we seem to have come full circle. Why are we wasting money on something that won't help recruiting, won't make us stand out from competitors, won't really help other sports and we're going to stick it in a part of campus that is too small and not a good location for a number of reasons? It seems like a very poor stewardship of the university's resources to just, "Check a box," especially for a sport that we are not all that successful at and apparently nobody really cares about except for a few alums.

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. If you are going to build such a facility it should facilitate other sports and school events and not be a campus detraction. Still plenty of room using the mall space and could even enhance the look of the university on Mockingbird. We cannot use this location for lack of additionally needed $$$. Too much money and attention to a sport where we are relegated to a second tier level conference and will probably never generate the fan base or interest to ever justify the expense. Do not compare our situation to TCU as they are in a conference that generates national attention, excellent competition and streams of revenue.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 am

I come back a week later and the stupid is still going strong. Good grief.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 pm

And again, my point is somehow being missed by some. If we're only checking a box- a term used by some to point out that while we are moving ahead to build this thing in the center of campus building it will not help with recruiting, as a sign of commitment, etc., then we are continuing to circle the drain with this program, and this is a waste of money and space that could be used elsewhere to better ends. If we're already building a research lab great- spend it on paying top flight professors, or god forbid, build more labs. Or spend it on a real branding campaign. I'm sure academic departments and scholarship funds could use $20-$30 million.

And frankly, nobody has explained to me how this is a good use of resources or that the board or administration has a real plan regarding athletics or academics.

And I am aware TCU is doing fine. But then again, they are in a power conference playing real opponents competitively in front of reasonably large crowds, their facilities are expanding, their endowment has surpassed ours, and they seem to be a school on the rise. Good for TCU, they have worked and earned it. We are none of those things, and with our alleged resources, that is unacceptable.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Are you aware this money is private funds and they have dedicated it to an IPF. I would image they might get a little upset if you took their money and used it for a different purpose.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU89 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 pm

mrydel wrote:Are you aware this money is private funds and they have dedicated it to an IPF. I would image they might get a little upset if you took their money and used it for a different purpose.
Beer Garden?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

PreviousNext

Return to Football