PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ruminations on our IPF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ruminations on our IPF

Postby gostangs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:And again, my point is somehow being missed by some. If we're only checking a box- a term used by some to point out that while we are moving ahead to build this thing in the center of campus building it will not help with recruiting, as a sign of commitment, etc., then we are continuing to circle the drain with this program, and this is a waste of money and space that could be used elsewhere to better ends. If we're already building a research lab great- spend it on paying top flight professors, or god forbid, build more labs. Or spend it on a real branding campaign. I'm sure academic departments and scholarship funds could use $20-$30 million.

And frankly, nobody has explained to me how this is a good use of resources or that the board or administration has a real plan regarding athletics or academics.

And I am aware TCU is doing fine. But then again, they are in a power conference playing real opponents competitively in front of reasonably large crowds, their facilities are expanding, their endowment has surpassed ours, and they seem to be a school on the rise. Good for TCU, they have worked and earned it. We are none of those things, and with our alleged resources, that is unacceptable.

Nobody is missing your point - you are just incorrect.

By the way, we are light years ahead of TCU academically and our endowment on a per student basis is quite a bit higher. Our standardized test scores have risen to a point that is second in the state only to Rice. TCU has improved, but SMU has improved as much or more.

There is always room for improvement in any institution, and SMU certainly has untapped potential. But a claim that we don't have a plan in athletics or academics, or that this building is somehow now not worth doing, is just incorrect. In athletics as has been pointed out on this board a million times, our plan is to position ourselves to be a top candidate to make the cut in the next P-5 sweepstakes. We may or may not be successful, but this building helps position us to do so.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Yes. And if we cannot seem to raise the funding to do this correctly, we have wasted those fundraising resources that could have been used more effectively elsewhere.

Again, even if we cut down the IPF's size and functionality, if we cannot raise enough money to move the soccer stadium, something is terribly wrong. Soccer stadium doesn't need to be much more than Crum lacrosse field house. To build an IPF on B&B and have it blend in is going to jack the cost considerably. In the athletic area, we can get away with fewer Georgian flourishes, have more space to work with, and God forbid, an outside practice area too.

And the bigger problem is this again seems to be thrown together at the last minute again. I may not build whole buildings but I do stroke decent checks and there is nothing even to get behind in how they rolled this thing out. It is a disgrace. I'm not trying to annoy anybody. I want our team to have what it needs, and I want the school to flourish, but how this is being done is a problem that has to be addressed.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:32 pm

And thank you, that was the most cogent response I have gotten thus far. I'm again unhappy with the roll-out, and I don't think anyone from the administration has laid out the need or the plan clearly, but that's a better explanation.

Also, I'm in the NY suburbs, we don't get great SMU news up here.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 pm

You should have tried to get SMU news in upstate New York in the early 70s. Al Gore had not even envisioned the Internet
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I get what Greenwich is saying.

It’s like you’re in Vegas, there’s a big pot, you have a bad hand, yet you keep tossing more money in hoping for an inside straight all the while a voice in your head tells you ‘just walk away’.

0-55-1 versus Big12 South.
SoCal_Pony

Postby b_caesar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Just sent out to the campus:

SMU Athletics and Facilities Planning and Management are set to begin development for the recently-approved Indoor Performance Center (IPC) that will be located in the area currently occupied by Barr Pool and MoMac Park. The timeline for this project will be March 2018 - March 2019 with a tentative opening in April 2019. The SMU IPC represents a tangible, visible investment in our vision to establish SMU Athletics as the best overall program in the American Athletic Conference. This facility will enhance the student experience, elevate our competitiveness and serve as an asset to the entire campus community.

Many of you have seen the demolition that has begun to take down what was Barr Pool. Within a few weeks, you will see fencing go up and the first phases of our construction begin. As we progress through the construction phases we will be sending out additional updates as appropriate. For any immediate question please reach out to Allison Day at allison@smu.edu .
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm

When do we get details other than Rick Hart's "it will have sort of a building attached to it. what's in that building? i don't know." ?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm

mtrout wrote:When do we get details other than Rick Hart's "it will have sort of a building attached to it. what's in that building? i don't know." ?

Give more money and you’ll find out
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:Yes. And if we cannot seem to raise the funding to do this correctly, we have wasted those fundraising resources that could have been used more effectively elsewhere.

Again, even if we cut down the IPF's size and functionality, if we cannot raise enough money to move the soccer stadium, something is terribly wrong. Soccer stadium doesn't need to be much more than Crum lacrosse field house. To build an IPF on B&B and have it blend in is going to jack the cost considerably. In the athletic area, we can get away with fewer Georgian flourishes, have more space to work with, and God forbid, an outside practice area too.

And the bigger problem is this again seems to be thrown together at the last minute again. I may not build whole buildings but I do stroke decent checks and there is nothing even to get behind in how they rolled this thing out. It is a disgrace. I'm not trying to annoy anybody. I want our team to have what it needs, and I want the school to flourish, but how this is being done is a problem that has to be addressed.

Have you seen the plans for it? If so, b—ch away if you don’t like them. If not, wait and see.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 am

We should have already seen plans for it, possibly BEFORE board approval. At the very least in conjunction with it. How about a campaign to get behind it now that it's approved? Wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity. AND it's still in the wrong place.
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:22 am

They made a change again. Just shows how uncommitted to football we are.
smupony94

Postby PonyKai » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:36 am

And the necessary changes wouldn’t be needed if they funded and built the he original IPC.
PonyKai

Postby PonySnob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm

smupony94 wrote:They made a change again. Just shows how uncommitted to football we are.

What was the latest change?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mtrout » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:19 pm

PonySnob wrote:
smupony94 wrote:They made a change again. Just shows how uncommitted to football we are.

What was the latest change?

Ditto. What changes? I didn't even know there was a plan.

Here's your plan. Football field, 80yard running track straightaway (3 or 4 lanes), weight room.

Make it like Michael Johnson performance center. Easy. I think they're more worried about the event center aspect of it than actual sports though. Go figure.

maxresdefault (1).jpg
maxresdefault (1).jpg (134.04 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Greenwich Pony wrote:...have more space to work with, and God forbid, an outside practice area too.

We already have an outside practice area. Pretty good size too.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Football