PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

new DC hired

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: new DC hired

Postby No Quarter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 pm

northtexsmu wrote:Watch a replay of 2017 NIU v Nebraska game on the 1st series. Nebraska drives down to the NIU 10 yard line. Then Nebraska throws a pick 6 and NIU gets a 90 yard TD return. What is interesting is after the play, notice the TV announcers said an NIU coach I guess told them, that on that play Nebraska had a certain way they threw the ball. Thus if/when the play happens they would try to intercept the pass.

One of the stories about the 1949 Notre Dame game was that the SMU scouting report - and I don't know who wrote it - said that the Irish tipped whether a pass play or run. SMU tested the idea in the first half and the defensive captain called a nine man line on running plays in the second half. Didn't help after SMU tied the score at twenty all. ND overwhelmed the SMU defense running the ball even knowing what was going to happen.

Before at least one subsequent game with ND the Dallas sportswriters speculated, hoped, probably if truth be known , crossed their fingers and wished for a second occurrence.

I'm most unlikely to see another SMU - ND game but if the new DC can pull something like that in the next few years, well, hurray!

I do hope no one tells the announces up in the booth though.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Sounds good.

It sounds like you believe that the only way to win was to hire a staff that had been putting up XBox numbers at their last stop. Someone that took a team from 0 to 14 wins in 2 years. That’s the Nick Saban effect, and it’s poisoned CFB. That’s not the only way to win. If you look back prior to 10 years ago, so many very successful coaches were hired after what today would be considered mediocre records at their previous stop. We needed someone with a vision for SMU and someone that wants to stay and grow it. That’s what we got. Sonny and his staff are all A+ hires for what SMU needed.

SMU needed someone from the Gary Patterson mold. That wants to build something of their own rather than move on at the first bigger paycheck offer. What we got is a guy that had already made the advancing to P5 too soon mistake (and I’m sure didn’t love his stay in Berkeley), and had a year learning under Patterson. A guy that was an SMU fan, that has been raised his whole life around big time football, has a ton of connections (just look at the staff he’s hired!). We also needed a guy that was going to put the defense as a priority - and we got it. I’ll also say that this staff knows how to recruit.

Thank you, Hart!
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 am

Chad Morris = Denis Franchione

Hopefully Dykes can be our Fatterson
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am

As an executive, you can learn/grow from each job to the next. As a recruiter, you either have it or you don't. I don't think you can "learn" it. What we have now in this staff I believe is a good executive (Dykes) who's learned a lot and several coaches/recruiters who know how to connect with youngsters. Hello sunshine.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am

AusTxPony wrote:recruiters who know how to connect with youngsters.

I think you mean ‘Ballers’
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:58 pm

AusTxPony wrote: this staff knows how to connect with youngsters.

Kiddos?
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football