PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

new DC hired

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: new DC hired

Postby ozfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:What do you suggest we do?

Nothing, I'm just not going to say, "wow, great hire". I rather people say why it's a great hire and why the scores against mediocre teams are not eye-popping. That is all.

I get the feeling you would complain if they hung you with a new rope.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby footballdad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Bring Van back! Just 1.5 more years.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm

So essentially he good at his conference with the same level of talent as his peers and you want to discount that and ask what his teams would have done in better conferences? Why use the AAC to make your point? Use the SEC. It’s the same argument.

He did very well at the level he was competing against. What I’ve read is that he was in on several P5 Coordinator position. It’s a good hire for a fall back plan. Better resume than Malone has at the current moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby jwnear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
RI Stang wrote:I think the first post on this thread did say why, didn't it?

ponyboy101 wrote:in 2017, his defense ranked #22 in total defense. Finished #2 in sacks, #23 in passes intercepted, #11 in 3rd down defense, #32 in scoring defense.

Right and saying it's a step above Malone seems a bit off. Malone had far tougher competition consistently. First off, unless someone wants to correct me, AAC is stronger than the MAC.

According to Sagarin, AAC - West is #10 best conference/division at an average rating score of 67.87 and AAC - East is #13 with a score of 64.64. With MAC - West at #16 score of 61.89 and MAC - East at #18 with score of 57.77. When you look at their schedule, while they played a P5 (Nebraska) they went 4-8 and obviously got rid of their coach.

So while the metrics are better, I would have expected our defense to have much better metrics with that same schedule. That's why I'm struggling to see why it's obvious great hire. If it's relative like, we got the best we could that's out in the market and that would be interested in us, okay I can understand that.

AAC is definitely better than the MAC, but NIU is usually one of the best teams. And regarding the P5 comment, when was the last time SMU even beat a P5 team, even if they went 4-8?

Like I said really young defense he led that lost a few of their better players. 36 ppg sucks regardless of competition. That was NIUs worst performance was 36 points. Second worst performance was SDSU and thy scored a pick six and a return kickoff.

I think you’re being a little big for your britches if you don’t think Kevin Kane isn’t an improvement, who also has DC experience at one of the better G5 programs.
jwnear

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm

I'd also add that bringing in kids at new positions to fit scheme is exactly how GP built TCU.

Coaching goes a long way. We saw it instantly when looking at Mason's defense compared to Bennett and the lack of blown coverages, and we saw it again when Malone's defense constantly had missed assignments and one broken tackle sent players to the house.

Both of these coaches are aggressive on the field and in recruiting. We have a secondary coach already in place who has texas relationships and the recruiting coordinator. I'd like to see us bring in one more defensive coach with texas ties and I think we are in good shape.

Very impressive that his 4-3 is built to stop the run but did a great job in pass defense. Sign of a well coached team with emphasis on using multiple schemes to generate a consistent pass rush in addition to smaller LBs who can fly around in coverage and make plays.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Check out Malone's resume. He was a perennial defensive back coach, Initially not even hired to be our DC. The most telling point, Chad didn't take him with him, at any capacity.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby ATLPonyDad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm

KU won the 2008 Orange Bowl over Virginia Tech so our new DC was part of the rebuilding process at KU as a player under "Hungry Mangino" who learned much of his Big 12 coaching under Bill "Moses" Snyder. KU had statically the easiest FBS schedule in 2008 losing only the last game of the season to Mizzou who won the Big 12 North that season and lost to OU in Big 12 Title Game. Mizzou is still upset KU got the Orange Bowl bid over them, but considering where KU football had been and is back to currently...I like the hire.

Pony Up!
ATLPonyDad
Recruit

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm

ozfan wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:What do you suggest we do?

Nothing, I'm just not going to say, "wow, great hire". I rather people say why it's a great hire and why the scores against mediocre teams are not eye-popping. That is all.

I get the feeling you would complain if they hung you with a new rope.

Okay.. not really worth reading but I only "complain" (critical) of people's "good hires' and "that-a-boy" comments with no real base. All I'm asking is to justify these uplifting comments because I don't see it. If you think I complain all the time, look back when were rumored to get Chad. I was ecstatic because he had an extremely strong career progression. Dykes feels like we are giving him his rebound chance and a few of the assistant coaches don't seem that great on paper. Some of the others, I believe the strength coach looked like a good hire. The OC looks promising despite the weird Auburn to UCONN move.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:So essentially he good at his conference with the same level of talent as his peers and you want to discount that and ask what his teams would have done in better conferences? Why use the AAC to make your point? Use the SEC. It’s the same argument.

He did very well at the level he was competing against. What I’ve read is that he was in on several P5 Coordinator position. It’s a good hire for a fall back plan. Better resume than Malone has at the current moment.

Well if we are saying AAC and SEC are interchangeable in the discussion then mission accomplish! :lol:

With that level of thinking, why not consider FCS coaches then??! Heck let's look at NDSU and James Madison. That's great that you read it but I haven't seen it anywhere which leads to my original point: what's great about him? This is doesn't mean I'm advocating Malone. I wanted him gone, so not flip-flopping there. I just don't see on paper Sonny's "we are going to get a great DC." That's all. I don't get why people get so butt hurt over asking why you approve the hire.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:So essentially he good at his conference with the same level of talent as his peers and you want to discount that and ask what his teams would have done in better conferences? Why use the AAC to make your point? Use the SEC. It’s the same argument.

Well if we are saying AAC and SEC are interchangeable in the discussion then mission accomplish! :lol:

With that level of thinking, why not consider FCS coaches then??! Heck let's look at NDSU and James Madison. That's great that you read it but I haven't seen it anywhere which leads to my original point: what's great about him? This is doesn't mean I'm advocating Malone. I wanted him gone, so not flip-flopping there. I just don't see on paper Sonny's "we are going to get a great DC." That's all. I don't get why people get so butt hurt over asking why you approve the hire.

The guys numbers don't lie.........what is so difficult for you to get? Everybody else seems to get it just fine. MAC is G5 just like SMU. The level of competition is all relative. He's not coming from some D3 program.

Morris' hire of Malone was laughable, especially in hindsight. The numbers also don't lie over his tenure.

If you can't see this hire is 10x better than the Malone hire, well, time to move on to the next topic.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Sounds good.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 pm

jwnear wrote:SMU is getting an up and comer who is really good. NIU defense was very young this year outside of the secondary and was pretty much lights out. They had a couple bad games, most notably Duke, but with Cutcliffe and three weeks to prepare that’s going to happen.

NIU D didn't play that badly against us. The biggest example is that (really stupid) fake punt early on; incredibly stupid and put the NIU D in a huge hole.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby northtexsmu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 am

Watch a replay of 2017 NIU v Nebraska game on the 1st series. Nebraska drives down to the NIU 10 yard line. Then Nebraska throws a pick 6 and NIU gets a 90 yard TD return. What is interesting is after the play, notice the TV announcers said an NIU coach I guess told them, that on that play Nebraska had a certain way they threw the ball. Thus if/when the play happens they would try to intercept the pass.
northtexsmu
Recruit

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 am

Hate to think we would have a DC who would watch game film and prepare his players. We're just not used to that!
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Todd Orlando came from Utah State (DC) before Houston and now Texas.
This guy seems like a very solid hire by Sonny. It's always great when the previous team's fans actually miss him.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football