PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sutton's draft position

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sutton's draft position

Postby jimhagle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm

It is looking more and more that the Cowboys will have a shot at Sutton. And they need a receiver like him badly.
jimhagle
Heisman

Re: Sutton's draft position

Postby birddogger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 am

Kiper mocks him to the Saints at #27. (Sorry no link as it's behind a pay wall). Hope Mel is right for once.
birddogger
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 am

Why need the pay wall? This was broadcast on ESPN a couple of nights ago. I do not know if the Saints could handle 7 SMU or players at one time.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Any word on if he'll run a 40 at the combine?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:39 pm

mtrout wrote:Any word on if he'll run a 40 at the combine?

"I know for a fact, I'm going to show everybody at the combine, I'm going to run 4.4. It's going to happen," Sutton said. "It's going to shock a lot of people, but it won't shock me or anyone who trains with me. They know the type of work I put in."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... and-sutton
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 pm

Alright signing endorsement with Adidas?

https://twitter.com/suttoncourtland/sta ... 9100051456
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm

He will not run 4.4. Will be interesting.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:05 pm

I think it is interesting to compare him with dez bryant. He is taller, and has better top end speed. Better hands. The way they are similar is that they lack the burst of acceleration and precise route running that it takes to get open consistently on mid-level routes in the pro game. On shorter/mid routes, qbs will have to "throw him open" similar to dez and let him get the ball. On the outside, his physique will let me make plays. Deep he can go get the ball, and his stride will allow for separation on the deep ball. Better attitude in the locker room than dez. One of his great assets to any team is going to be his blocking ability. In the running game he is going to be like having a tight end lined up wide.

He is a smart kid, and he knows what he runs. If he hits anywhere close to a 4.4, he is lower first round pick. My guess would be 4.5x. A 4.6 would be a disappointment.

Is he a pure number 1 WR in the NFL? I'm not sure about that, he would have to significantly improve his route running. Which is certainly possible.

Would I draft him in the first round? If I were a team that has a run-first approach, where I need a receiver I can throw deep when space is cramped, a red zone target, and can really extend running plays to his side of the field with his blocking? Absolutely. He would have a great impact on that style of offense.

IMHO he is a perfect fit for the Cowboys. Witten and Beas can have the middle route and possession stuff. He provides a deep threat to keep a safety honest as long as he can get off the line. And just think about him blocking and Zeke getting outside. If he runs a slower than expected 40 and slides, I would consider trading back in the first or early second and getting extra picks and choose him there because of the fit.

That said, there is a good chance he does the opposite and blows the numbers off the chart at the combine. Even if he runs just over 4.4 at a 4.51 with his vertical and hands and athleticism people will freak out. SMU has a rep now of NFL success with Cole and Sanders. He is just the type of player the Raiders have loved to draft in the past, if he makes it past the Niners.
JasonB

Postby footballdad » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 pm

............"Better attitude in the locker room than dez". Ya think? :D

Dez is gone, Cowboys just trying to figure out how to let him go quietly.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 pm

birddogger wrote:Kiper mocks him to the Saints at #27. (Sorry no link as it's behind a pay wall). Hope Mel is right for once.

If we can get Sanders and Beas there, it will basically be an SMU all-2000's team.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:51 pm

If Trey Quinn goes to the right system, say New England, I could see him having a more productive NFL career than Sutton. He'll be a steal for whoever drafts him.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Glenn Sosbee wrote:If Trey Quinn goes to the right system, say New England, I could see him having a more productive NFL career than Sutton. He'll be a steal for whoever drafts him.

I think Quinn is going to get drafted in a better spot than people expect. His athleticism and hands will really stand out at the combine. He is a starting slot for pretty much every team in the league.
JasonB

Postby horsemanx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Wide Receiver
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Jon Machota @jonmachota
SMU wide receiver Courtland Sutton grew up rooting for the Cowboys. Big fan of Terrell Owens and Dez Bryant. Said it would be a dream to play for Dallas. He went to the Cowboys/Seahawks game in December with his dad. Has not met with the Cowboys yet at the combine
skyscraper

Postby Junior » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:55 pm

I turned on the combine right as Sutton started his 1st 40. 4.55 and Quinn with a 4.57. Didn’t see their second runs.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Next

Return to Football