PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Going rate

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Going rate

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 am

Saw today that Morris’s assistants at Arkansas are averaging $435,000 each. Chavis is just shy of $1 million, and Craddock is getting $600,000. That means the remaining 8 average almost $375,000. I just not not see us being able to compete with that.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Going rate

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am

lol Chad is paying a million bucks for a DC many in the industry feel has had the game pass him by.
PonyKai

Going rate

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 am

1) i think you could make the argument that we have made better hires with presumably less of a salary pool than Morris did at Arkansas. Lashlee has considerable more experience than the recent GA Craddock and Chavis hasn’t been great lately while Kane has developed an all American from a MAC program and had a top 30 defense.
2) We are in a lot better position financially than most other g5 schools both within the AAC and outside of it given that we poached our two coordinators from other G5 programs. If Lashlee and Kane perform here and get hired by a bigger program we will have shown to other up and coming coaches that we pay well and can be a good landing spot to grow your career. Just need to continue to consistently make good coordinator hires if / when our current two get hired away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 am

All that money and I would much rather have this staff than the Arkansas staff.
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:2) We are in a lot better position financially than most other g5 schools both within the AAC and outside of it given that we poached our two coordinators from other G5 programs. If Lashlee and Kane perform here and get hired by a bigger program we will have shown to other up and coming coaches that we pay well and can be a good landing spot to grow your career. Just need to continue to consistently make good coordinator hires if / when our current two get hired away.

Yes, that is the strategy we should employ going forward. Just as we can't compete against P5, virtually every g5 can't compete against us. Even the coogs took Herman after we rejected him. Plus we get to offer UP and Dallas.

And I agree, Sonny has done an excellent job with these hires.
SoCal_Pony

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 pm

PonyKai wrote:lol Chad is paying a million bucks for a DC many in the industry feel has had the game pass him by.

Yeah, kinda funny Morris touting Chavis as the best DC in college football. Not even close since he left LSU and all those high NFL draft picks.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

footballdad wrote:
PonyKai wrote:lol Chad is paying a million bucks for a DC many in the industry feel has had the game pass him by.

Yeah, kinda funny Morris touting Chavis as the best DC in college football. Not even close since he left LSU and all those high NFL draft picks.

His time in Aggietown was blessed with Garrett and others that were gifts before Chavis arrival...kinda like Johnny Football being a happy gift to Sumlin.

Note that Chavis is a good DC for a more CONVENTIONAL offense...one that Miles ran...an "up tempo" offense, not so much...the defense that gets a 3 minute off the field break, then right back on, not so much.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 pm

mrydel wrote:I just not not see us being able to compete with that.

Do we play in and compete with SEC teams?

Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm

footballdad wrote:

and LSU bag men.

Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am

Dutch wrote:
mrydel wrote:I just not not see us being able to compete with that.

Do we play in and compete with SEC teams?

My point exactly
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 am

Monty_The_Mustang wrote:All that money and I would much rather have this staff than the Arkansas staff.

+ 1 for sure !!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Return to Football