PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Short honeymoon

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Short honeymoon

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 pm

I think Chad will recruit better than Bielema did (not saying much) and instill a fun brand of offense like he did here....but the Arkansas fans wont be as patient about the shellackings at the hands of Bama and LSU and Auburn like we were of Navy and Memphis. I could see Chad recruiting well, upping the talent level, and still getting run out in three years because expectations are sky high in the SEC and you’re expected to win big and win fast
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Black Horseshoe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I think Chad will recruit better than Bielema did (not saying much) and instill a fun brand of offense like he did here....but the Arkansas fans wont be as patient about the shellackings at the hands of Bama and LSU and Auburn like we were of Navy and Memphis. I could see Chad recruiting well, upping the talent level, and still getting run out in three years because expectations are sky high in the SEC and you’re expected to win big and win fast

What will Arkansas fans call being war crimed?
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby footballdad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am

Black Horseshoe wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I think Chad will recruit better than Bielema did (not saying much) and instill a fun brand of offense like he did here....but the Arkansas fans wont be as patient about the shellackings at the hands of Bama and LSU and Auburn like we were of Navy and Memphis. I could see Chad recruiting well, upping the talent level, and still getting run out in three years because expectations are sky high in the SEC and you’re expected to win big and win fast

dueling banjoed
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 am

Black Horseshoe wrote:What will Arkansas fans call being war crimed?

#Porked
PonyKai

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:49 am

Stallion wrote:that same LB Andrew Parker with a meager visit list just scheduled a Texas A&M visit for this weekend and has picked up about 4 offers in 2 weeks. He's not a chump-Texas A&M doesn't offer chumps-Arkansas just found him first because Chavis knew about him from LSU. Notre Dame and Nebraska are now snooping around. Once he got his video out he's been blowing up. Morris is kicking [deleted] in recruiting (4 commits in 24 hours) and just about every other commitment either had a visit to a national powerhouse or flipped from a national powerhouse. They are going to finish about Top 35 in average per recruit with a small class of 16-18 which is +45 from where they were. They've still got 3-4 probable flips coming from schools like Texas A&M, OU, Miss St. and leading in a battle for an Auburn target. Plus they just added former Argyle QB Austin Aune (state champ) who was a TCU commit a few years ago but was chosen in the MLB draft and played minor league baseball. TCU had been trying to keep that secret-I even mentioned because I though Dykes might have caught wind of it at TCU. Some fans analysis starts and ends with recruiting stars/scores.

Just can't let go , can you :D :D It's not the end of the world to be wrong. Maybe you can buy a used
car from Mr. Morris in a few years , or maybe a prayer towel depending on which gig he chooses after coaching.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am

"dueling banjoed"

perhaps the early-clubhouse-leader in the post of the year contest....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm

“Squeal like a pig”
“Woo Pig Phooey”
“Hog Bawl”
“(B)oink”
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby docabel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Black Horseshoe wrote:

?? Having to marry outside the family tree ???
docabel
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
Stallion wrote:that same LB Andrew Parker with a meager visit list just scheduled a Texas A&M visit for this weekend and has picked up about 4 offers in 2 weeks. He's not a chump-Texas A&M doesn't offer chumps-Arkansas just found him first because Chavis knew about him from LSU. Notre Dame and Nebraska are now snooping around. Once he got his video out he's been blowing up. Morris is kicking [deleted] in recruiting (4 commits in 24 hours) and just about every other commitment either had a visit to a national powerhouse or flipped from a national powerhouse. They are going to finish about Top 35 in average per recruit with a small class of 16-18 which is +45 from where they were. They've still got 3-4 probable flips coming from schools like Texas A&M, OU, Miss St. and leading in a battle for an Auburn target. Plus they just added former Argyle QB Austin Aune (state champ) who was a TCU commit a few years ago but was chosen in the MLB draft and played minor league baseball. TCU had been trying to keep that secret-I even mentioned because I though Dykes might have caught wind of it at TCU. Some fans analysis starts and ends with recruiting stars/scores.

Just can't let go , can you :D :D It's not the end of the world to be wrong. Maybe you can buy a used
car from Mr. Morris in a few years , or maybe a prayer towel depending on which gig he chooses after coaching.

He has to come here to get on his knees for Morris because he's gotten about a thousand down votes on the 24/7 Board and it's hurting his ego watching his star rating drop. :lol:
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Ya know - its possible that two things can be true at the same time:

Chad did a nice job for us, worked hard, increased the quality of our team and athletes and he and SMU both benefited. He is a nice guy, a good coach and a quality man.

Sonny is a good hire and is also working hard, and is seemingly on some very good recruits. He is well thought of and will also very likely do well, cause this is a pretty dang great place to go to college and play football for just about anyone. He is a nice guy, a good coach and a quality man.

Those things can both be true. Bashing Chad doesn't help SMU - and is generally not true. Its the football equivalent of chanting overrated at a basketball game to someone we beat. We want SMU to be the place all great up and coming coaches want to come.

And I think he can be there a long time and be pretty average - they have been pretty average in the SEC forever.
gostangs

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

gostangs wrote:
Chad did a nice job for us, worked hard, increased the quality of our team and athletes and he and SMU both benefited. He is a nice guy, a good coach and a quality man.

Let me stop you right there. I'll agree with the first part, but someone who doesn't even thank his former employer for giving them his first college had coaching job, after paying him nearly 7 million dollars over three years, and then disparages that same school in his "opening address" to his new school is not a quality man. He's a snake in sheep's clothing and is nothing more than a self centered, egotistical, askhole.

I am very glad he came here, and he did some really good things, but he is NOT a "quality man".
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:40 pm

how did he disparage SMU in his opening address? Not arguing the point - just not aware of that.

is there an exact quote?
gostangs

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm

He did not disparage SMU, he simply could not be bothered to even tweet a thank you SMU despite his unending amount of tweets. I am glad he was here, not sorry he is gone. I think Sonny Dykes is at replacement level or better. Go SMU!
mustangxc

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:32 pm

gostangs wrote:how did he disparage SMU in his opening address? Not arguing the point - just not aware of that.

is there an exact quote?

In his opening address to the Arkansas players he said "When I left Clemson to go to SMU, people said why? SMU has been one of the bottom programs in the history of college football for a long long time. Why? Why coach? You're killing your career. Top assistant. Top offense coordinator. Why?"

That's Verbatim. Then he went spouting off about some crap about opportunity and how that's what's in front of Arkansas.

I'm not saying that some of there isn't some truth in that, but after we just paid you $7 million dollars to go 14-22, really? Talk about spiting in the face of your old team.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Julian Grendel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm

That's exactly right.

And maybe with that, Stallion has his new footer?
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football