PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks to Proche

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hicks to Proche

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

footballdad wrote:I'll bet the under in every statistical category for Hicks this year, compared to last year, without Sutton and Quinn. Except for picks. :D

Any 'records' he breaks, are simply a function of him getting more starts, than him being better than previous SMU QB's. Hicks just fortunate that Morris sucked at QB recruiting, haha. Just imagine what Gilbert would have done with Sutton & Quinn!

so more starts isn't a valid positive stat for a QB? They guy is tough as nails - which is a much needed quality behind the typical SMU offensive line. Perhaps the most important quality any SMU QB can have.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 am

gostangs wrote:
footballdad wrote:I'll bet the under in every statistical category for Hicks this year, compared to last year, without Sutton and Quinn. Except for picks. :D

Any 'records' he breaks, are simply a function of him getting more starts, than him being better than previous SMU QB's. Hicks just fortunate that Morris sucked at QB recruiting, haha. Just imagine what Gilbert would have done with Sutton & Quinn!

so more starts isn't a valid positive stat for a QB? They guy is tough as nails - which is a much needed quality behind the typical SMU offensive line. Perhaps the most important quality any SMU QB can have.

Didn't say it wasn't a 'valid' stat. Specifically said it's the only reason he will 'break records', as Stallion likes to continually tout. Again, the only reason he's the QB is because Morris failed miserably in the QB recruiting dept.

Heck, Deion Jr. was a 1st Team All AAC kickoff returner and had more return yardage than anyone else in the AAC. Was it because he was a really good kick returner, or because he had more attempts than everybody else?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby malonish » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Time will tell. He is not elite but he reminds me of JJ McDermott. Tough and makes the throws he needs to.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

mtrout wrote:Football without Sutton and Quinn and Lawler is like basketball without Sterling, Semi, and Ben.

A little pre-mature don't you think since we haven't even played a game without them?
smitty329
All-American

Postby footballdad » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 pm

smitty329 wrote:
mtrout wrote:Football without Sutton and Quinn and Lawler is like basketball without Sterling, Semi, and Ben.

A little pre-mature don't you think since we haven't even played a game without them?

Not really when you look at their talent and production vs. what remains on the roster.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Prediction: Proche will step in and be in the same category as Aldrick Robinson, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley, Trey Quinn. (I think Sutton's an entirely different level altogether and will be all world). Not at all worried about receivers.
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 pm

I thought proche was fast. Several plays this year led me to believe otherwise. Maybe he was just really banged up.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

fast enough to average 20.4 yards per catch which was 12th in Country. He's more quick than fast though which is what you want for an Inside Receiver
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Best tandem in history, bar-none.
SMUer

Postby mtrout » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 pm

I would trade our entire receiving corps for aldrick robinson and 5 frat boys.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Proche has more catches and yards after 2 years and wasn't playing in Run N Shoot

also had a very good reception/target rate (30/44) which was almost as good as Quinn and much better than Sutton
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby malonish » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm

He plays his role well but won't matter if the outside guys can't do some damage out there.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 pm

mtrout wrote:I would trade our entire receiving corps for aldrick robinson and 5 frat boys.

I'd trade the entire football team for 5 sorority girls.
ponyboy

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 am

ponyboy wrote:
mtrout wrote:I would trade our entire receiving corps for aldrick robinson and 5 frat boys.

I'd trade the entire football team for 5 sorority girls.

Might want to be more specific or you could wind up with gals from Omega-Mu

HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 am

Hard to tell how good the younger guys on our roster might be because they were playing behind 2 guys in Sutton and Quinn who just might be playing on Sundays next year
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football