PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Billy Bob Stewart Passed Away

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Billy Bob Stewart Passed Away

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Memorial service Wednesday, 2:00 p.m., First Baptist Grand Prairie.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Billy Bob Stewart Passed Away

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 pm

[quote="Bergermeister"]Memorial service Wednesday, 2:00 p.m., First Baptist Grand Prairie.[/quoteTerr

Terrible news as he was one of my good friends at SMU and sometimes handball partner. Graduating in 1967 he played on three bowl teams including the 1967 Cotton Bowl against Georgia. He was All-SWC for 3 years as an inside line backer and awesome hitter. When Billy Bob hit someone the entire crowd would feel the pain inflicted. He was a 3d round draft pick of the Saints, but ended up in Canada. Last time I saw him was 2 years ago at several football games where he had season tickets in Section 103 with a number of his former football team mates. At that time his years of football had taken the toll on his body and particularly his knees and he was walking with canes as I recall. This past season he quit attending base on the difficulty walking. Friends used to tease him that he was the reason they constructed the Grand Prairie Bowl stadium at his high school. One of SMU's truly great players. Long live the memory of Billy Bob.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you, Pocono Pony. A very fitting tribute.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm

And I meant to add that it's great to hear than some of the older alumni are still attending our games.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:44 pm

My sympathies to family and friends. I remember when he was mentioned prominently in Texas Football.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

Donnell88 wrote:And I meant to add that it's great to hear than some of the older alumni are still attending our games.

There is a pretty good representation of the mid-60 football players that have season tickets in section 103 in the upper rows near the east aisle and in section 204. They have been there for years in good and bad times and questionable weather.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:47 pm

I saw him play during the Hayden Fry golden years.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football