PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU day at the Rangers game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU day at the Rangers game

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm

No. I was going when they first got started. Crowds were in the hundreds. 4 or 5 of us we go and we would spread out behind the 3rd base dugout and each had their own vendor.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 pm

We went to Rangers games when they 1st came to town and snuck beers in...got the cheap bleacher seats and sat up high in center field while we consumed them and then came down for better seats just inside the foul poles in the front row. Not many people went to those weekday games...unless the Yankees or Red Sox were visiting
Charleston Pony

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 am

Yep, I remember when I could go to a Ranger game and park next to the stadium for $2, get a bleacher seat in right field for $2, and get a pint of beer for, you guessed it, $2. The Rangers were terrible, but the other team brought in some pretty good players at times.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:46 am

H-E-B Mustang wrote:Yep, I remember when I could go to a Ranger game and park next to the stadium for $2, get a bleacher seat in right field for $2, and get a pint of beer for, you guessed it, $2. The Rangers were terrible, but the other team brought in some pretty good players at times.

While at Seminary in Ft. Worth, we would do exactly as you described...er, without the beer. I remember the Dallas-Ft. Worth Spurs and Turnpike Stadium...and Jeff Burroughs actually bouncing a ball into Seven Seas behind left field.

It is amazing to me that Billy Martin was able to guide a team to be competitive against a juggernaut A's dynasty, and use Jenkins and others to cobble together a pitching staff.

SMU Day will have to wait until, well, we are better than those old Ranger teams.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 am

Seven Seas, wow haven’t thought of that place in a while. Toby Harrah, Jim Sundberg, Fergie Jenkins, Oddibe McDowell. Amazing they are going to tear down the new ballpark. I do miss the simpler days.
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:12 pm

ponyboy wrote:Seven Seas, wow haven’t thought of that place in a while.

I think that was the source for the adjacent Howard Johnson's "All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry" each Friday night.
Bergermeister

Postby Big Hoss » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 am

tristatecoog wrote:No UNT or Aggy days either.

Rice has the worst fanbase in Texas among FBS schools and it's not close.

At least they support their baseball team.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 am

Bergermeister wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Seven Seas, wow haven’t thought of that place in a while.

I think that was the source for the adjacent Howard Johnson's "All-You-Can-Eat Fish Fry" each Friday night.

Whether in jest or truth, you are correct! Can't remember if it was a Ho-Jo or some other restaurant, but I remember my dad laughing at the irony...good times for a kid from Farmers Branch...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby longbuzzer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Used to have 50 cent beer night. wet t-shirt night and bat night. Good thing never had all three at once. Bats ringing off the metal bleachers was deafening. On beer night, you had to make sure you didn't need to go the the restrooms after about the seventh inning because they were trashed out.
On wet t-shirt, a lot of ladies would sit together down by the field and get sprayed by a groundskeeper hose.

Wouldn't see any of that nonsense today.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

SMU day at the Rangers game

Postby PonySnob » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 am

longbuzzer wrote:Used to have 50 cent beer night. wet t-shirt night and bat night. Good thing never had all three at once. Bats ringing off the metal bleachers was deafening. On beer night, you had to make sure you didn't need to go the the restrooms after about the seventh inning because they were trashed out.
On wet t-shirt, a lot of ladies would sit together down by the field and get sprayed by a groundskeeper hose.

Wasn’t here a strip club not too far from the old ballpark that was a fan favorite after games?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm

PonySnob wrote: Wasn’t there a strip club not too far from the old ballpark that was a fan favorite after games?

Lace. East side of 360.
Bergermeister

Postby oilpony » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:30 pm

PonySnob wrote:
longbuzzer wrote:Used to have 50 cent beer night. wet t-shirt night and bat night. Good thing never had all three at once. Bats ringing off the metal bleachers was deafening. On beer night, you had to make sure you didn't need to go the the restrooms after about the seventh inning because they were trashed out.

Wasn’t here a strip club not too far from the old ballpark that was a fan favorite after games?

Yes, it was called Lace. It was pretty popular with the ballplayers back in the day. Billy Martin got into a fight one night while he was the Yankees manager.
oilpony
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:29 pm

All of those places have been shut down and ran off they don't exist in that part of town anymore
One Trick Pony

Previous

Return to Football