PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Going smaller

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Going smaller

Postby leopold » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 am

footballdad wrote:
BUS wrote:Football dad... don't know who you are but your son is on or was on the team.
Why the constant negativity and hostility. Like personal language. Ok, i,m fat and bald and old but that does not pertain to an opinion on any players.

Downer man.

There was no hostility at all. JasonB and I were discussing the WR situation, and out of the blue Stallion has to jump in with his personal insults and a Morris rant. This is pretty much his MO when somebody has a different opinion, or dares to question the genius of Morris.

Might want to direct your question at him.

Look. I agree with you - Stallion owes you an apology for the name calling.

But outside of that he's right. Our win count took the shape of a hockey stick under Morris and the major reason behind it was the recruiting. I'd argue that that we're in a position to challenge for the conference this year if Dykes can do anything as a coach. We had a textbook example of what a horrible recruiter looked like with June and Morris was nothing like that - he made the most of what he had and we are better off because of it.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Roach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 am

JasonB wrote:Honey I think will end up like Holman - once he figures out his size and speed he will be effective, but he needs some time to develop.

Man, I hope you're right. With his size, if you could put Honey and Proche and Bell and one of the new guys together, we might have something. You don't replace guys like Sutton and Quinn, but it would make their departures hurt a little less.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:58 am

i think one could easily make the argument that morris was a good recruiter on the offensive side of the ball. on the defense-not so much. dl, lb, db....which group is left with aac championship talent?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:00 pm

and did anybody actually watch that memphis game last year? that can't have been just one bad coach.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Don't really want to jump into either side of this argument, but just wanted to point our that of the great offensive production stats that Stallion cited, neither Sutton (arguably the best player post-DP) nor Quinn were Morris recruits.

And just to totally confuse the subject, Javier Castille (a Morris recruit) transferred to Texas Tech last fall, so he should be able to play in 2018. So on one hand you can give Morris props for recruiting a kid that a Big-X-or-XII school wanted, but on the other you could make the case that if Morris was so good of a recruiter he could have retained Castille (if his departure wasn't for other reasons).
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Clemson was one of Quinn top schools out of high school and his previous relationship with Morris at Clemson was the biggest reason he came to SMU. He's definitely a Morris recruit.

"Quinn said he left LSU on good terms. His picking SMU was not a question of whether he would come to SMU, but rather when he would announce it. The Mustangs were early favorites for one reason: Quinn’s relationship with Chad Morris. Morris recruited Quinn when he was the offensive coordinator at Clemson. Morris formed a strong relationship with Quinn and his family on two visits to Clemson, but it wasn’t quite enough to secure his signature. He picked LSU over Clemson right before his senior year of high school."

http://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/ho ... ths-to-smu

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... inn_1.html
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 pm

I could be mistaken but I believe Castille is no longer at Tech and “transferred” from there for the same reason he “transferred” from SMU.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 pm

I am starting to wonder if anyone else was watching the same Proche I was since he's been here. He looks very, very solid to me.
ponyboy

Postby leopold » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:24 pm

mrydel wrote:I could be mistaken but I believe Castille is no longer at Tech and “transferred” from there for the same reason he “transferred” from SMU.

You mean stupidity?

Dude left a situation where the top WR was CLEARLY leaving after this year and he would have had a chance to play at some point and went to arguably the deepest talent pool at his position in the Big XII. I mean seriously, is he trying to transfer to Oklahoma or Alabama now?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm

They were forced transfers
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:48 pm

mrydel wrote:They were forced transfers

Just a different flavor of stupid.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:33 am

It's okay to move on at some point, guys. It really is. You have permission to not worry about someone who left the program.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby dr. rick » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Stallion has never once insulted me but I'm pretty sure everybody else has haha

i know i haven't yet. so a curse: may all of the chocolate chips in your cookies turn out to be raisins. and may your cookie always be too large to fit in your glass of milk.
dr. rick
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football