PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Practice Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Spring Practice Thread

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 am

I believe official spring practice starts this Wednesday, 3/21. And it seems that this staff will be much more open (to media etc) than the previous. So I figured I'd start a thread here for those who attend any practices, etc. to post their observations, reactions to video interviews, etc.

Will be exciting to see how the team looks with the new staff (and guys coming out of training with Kaz).

Pony up!
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Spring Practice Thread

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 pm

I've heard Coach Kaz's program bantered around a bunch now.....but was Coach Tru's regime not seen as a positive to the team during his tenure here? Can't remember any specific complaints and not sure I understand what Kaz will bring/do differently.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe attitude or better results??? Perhaps one of the kids or their parents can explain. Hope we get daily updates as we near the dead period sportswise of the year for football fans.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:31 pm

From everything I heard, Coach Tru was very good. The difference is that Coach Tru was an assistant and this was his first head S&C job whereas Kaz was that for years at Baylor and, putting aside the issues with that program off the field, it's S&C program that he stood up and ran was seen as a huge part of that program's success (on the field) going back to RG3.
ojaipony

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Hope we can put those issues aside and not have it bite us. With that baggage and legacy he better be the freakin greatest S&C coach in the FBS.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby mtrout » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Kaz actually runs / sprints the guys and lifts heavy.

We legit had nobody who could run under 4.5 other than Aldrick in the past two regimes.

Hopefully that will change now.

It's not like Kaz was hired out of jail. He was head strength / assistant AD at Arkansas State last year.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 pm

One year away from swimming in the baylor cesspool doesn't get the stink off. Why not hire Briles as OC? It's been a year for him too.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I hate Baylor and will be the first to [Deleted] on them every chance I can get, but I don't think Kaz was the/a problem. I think we are lucky to have him and hope he stays awhile.
ojaipony

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 am

We are SMU. We don't get the luxury of taking a chance on someone with a checkered past. It costs us, always. I don't understand why KK would get a free pass on this. He is specifically mentioned in the book "Violated" as being in the know. Would somebody please explain the risk/benefit ratio for a strength coach. I just don't get it.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 am

JoeKidd wrote:I've heard Coach Kaz's program bantered around a bunch now.....but was Coach Tru's regime not seen as a positive to the team during his tenure here? Can't remember any specific complaints and not sure I understand what Kaz will bring/do differently.

This exact statement has been made about every new strength coach since the dawn of ponyfans.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby White Helmet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:
JoeKidd wrote:I've heard Coach Kaz's program bantered around a bunch now.....but was Coach Tru's regime not seen as a positive to the team during his tenure here? Can't remember any specific complaints and not sure I understand what Kaz will bring/do differently.

This exact statement has been made about every new strength coach since the dawn of ponyfans.

I think you mean every new strength coach everywhere since the dawn of football.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:18 pm

That's not true... Mel was pretty much ripped on from the start.
JasonB

Postby Roach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 am

Looking forward to see the defensive line ... what's left of it.
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Roach wrote:Looking forward to see the defensive line ... what's left of it.

I thought I'd seen a thread projecting the 2018 depth but couldn'y find it. With the "what's left" comment in mind, I hope someone closer to the program will project a depth chart, and /or comment where the incoming freshmen will fit and who the sleepers might be given mrydell's comment elsewhere about the chance Peavy might have.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm

I doubt Peavy gets much of a chance to challenge Hicks. I do think he is much more mobile and perhaps is considered if that is what Dykes and or Lashlee want. But my guess is they will let the guy who has had the reins for a few years continue until he fails. I hope he does not fail, but I would like to see Peavy get some action even if in mop up or injury prevention time.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Football