PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Practice (3/21/18) observations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Practice (3/21/18) observations

Postby PonyPride » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Got to practice late — but a few observations:

QB D.J. Gillins looks better — much better. Watching him run today offered a glimpse of what everyone thought SMU was getting when he signed before the toe injury hobbled him for much of the season. Gillins looked fast, elusive and strong on the run.
• Similar improvement shown by WR Tyler Page. A year ago, he worked through whatever discomfort might have lingered after the knee injury that prematurely ended his senior year of high school. He looked faster and smoother. He ran well, changed direction and accelerated through the defense.
• Working with the first-team defensive line: LDE Tyeson Neals, DT Ken McLaurin, DT Pat Jones, RDE Toby Ndukwe
QB Ben Hicks looked good — nice accuracy on deep passes, including a pair of 40-yarders to WR Brandon Benson, one of which Benson caught and one of which he dropped when DB Kevin Johnson knocked the ball away.
• Several players sat out Wednesday, including CB Jordan Wyatt (who will miss all of spring), S Mikial Onu, G Nick Natour, LB Kyran Mitchell, G Jalen Lynch, T Bryce Wilds, LB Noah Spears, WR Myron Gailliard and LB Jordon Williams.
T Levon Levingston, now listed at 6-7 / 290, looks more like a small forward than an offensive tackle. He has bulked up since arriving on the Hilltop in January, but looks like he could add considerably more weight.
• The previous coaching staff made use of drones hovering over the practices, utilizing cameras that allowed another angle of perspective in practice. The new staff still employs the drones ... and also strapped GoPro cameras to the top of the quarterbacks' helmets.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Practice (3/21/18) observations

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the observations PP....I assume we started out in half pads or did we go full in practice 1? Seems like a lot of guys sitting out are there any other besides Wyatt who will miss all of SB?
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Junior » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:25 pm

I really hope McLaurin shows us something this year.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Is this all there is? Isn't every practice open? For those of us not in Dallas and able to watch, I'd like daily coverage.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby MadJack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I am driving up from Austin tomorrow, I'll provide a "take" afterward.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Is this all there is? Isn't every practice open? For those of us not in Dallas and able to watch, I'd like daily coverage.

Ask for a refund if you’re not satisfied
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby PonyPride » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:40 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Is this all there is? Isn't every practice open? For those of us not in Dallas and able to watch, I'd like daily coverage.

For that day, yes. I took off work early to get to the end of practice, saw enough to piece together a few notes and get video interviews that were offered only here. Not every practice is open to the media, and when I can, I'll beg off work earlier. In the meantime, I will cover every Saturday practice extensively and provide notes and video interviews. I hope you enjoy them and find them informative.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 am

Thanks, I had thought they were all open to you guys.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am

PonyPride wrote:

For that day, yes. I took off work early to get to the end of practice, saw enough to piece together a few notes and get video interviews that were offered only here. Not every practice is open to the media, and when I can, I'll beg off work earlier. In the meantime, I will cover every Saturday practice extensively and provide notes and video interviews. I hope you enjoy them and find them informative.

The price is pretty good as well, thanks for all you do!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks to PonyPride for all the hard work, and information.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Return to Football