PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to host SFA in 2020

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU to host SFA in 2020

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 pm

AusTxPony wrote:What's your point? We could fill ours if we played in the Big 12 also. BTW, I do believe UTSA is on the road for Baylor. My point was that they should play @ SMU if they are willing to play @ UTSA.

My point is that Baylor can get by just fine without playing SMU. They can afford to play those teams. We, on the other hand, can not afford to do so if we want to have any sort of crowd at Ford.

If your point is that we are no different than UTSA and they should just schedule us, then you have a valid point - that is probably how Baylor fans see the world.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:26 pm

" We, on the other hand, can not afford to do so if we want to have any sort of crowd at Ford."
I understand your point now, thanks, and I don't disagree. Unfortunately, so few opponents willing to play @ us will bring a crowd.
My point was that if Baylor was willing to travel and play a "G5", then an AAC team is an upgrade not to mention having a history with SMU and shorter travel for their fans.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby northtexsmu » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 pm

So now we understand why we are doing this. Not to build a fan base we seriously need, but to make sure we have an extra Win to help us get to a bowl game right ? Of course, as Pony Time pointed out, a lot of the AAC teams have been able to get some home games with P5 opponents for the next few years. However, considering how we are now looking at things, I wonder why James Madison has apparently not been invited back ? Didn't we win that game ?
northtexsmu
Recruit

Postby mtrout » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Vad lee humiliated us when we played jmu.

Dropping baylor was stupid. When we played baylor tcu and a&m it was awesome and guess what! We still made a bowl game. Now we sacrificed that to get dumpster wins so we could get embarrassed by Louisiana Techin a bowl.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 am

mtrout wrote:Vad lee humiliated us when we played jmu.

Dropping baylor was stupid. When we played baylor tcu and a&m it was awesome and guess what! We still made a bowl game. Now we sacrificed that to get dumpster wins so we could get embarrassed by Louisiana Techin a bowl.

Worked out awesome for Morris!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby smitty329 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Maybe we target ACC schools - sure there are alumni in Dallas, recruiting, etc.
smitty329
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:33 pm

footballdad wrote:

Worked out awesome for Morris!

Speaking of... Arkansas has 4 OOC cupcakes lined up for 2018 and four OOC cupcakes for 2019. Just the way Chad likes it. Should be 4-0 to start both seasons.

It will not be until 2020 that Arkansas will have to play a meaningful OOC game against a P5 team - @Notre Dame.

I bet Chad is already trying to get out of that one.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:15 pm

As Stallion or someone said, these type schools get sold out home games against ANY opponent. We do not have that kind of support. So unless we can schedule B12/SEC opponents at home, let's just play the best we can get, screw the attendance, and make a bowl which is better for the additional practice and the players like the Bowl games.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 pm

AusTxPony wrote:...and the players like the Bowl games.

Yeah. Frisco was a blast.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

SMU to host SFA in 2020

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
AusTxPony wrote:...and the players like the Bowl games.

Yeah. Frisco was a blast.

Don’t forget the Armed Forces Bowl when we wore black jerseys to honor our opponents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:09 am

What's worse, getting blown out by A$M, Baylor, TCU or La Tech?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:

What's worse, getting blown out by A$M, Baylor, TCU or La Tech?

I suppose Baylor - if you are talking about last year's teams.

I am willing to throw out anything and everything associated with the Tech game just as I did for the remainder of the last season of June Jones. At least it was one game and not 10.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am

When all is said and done SMU is going to have to dominate their conference (whatever it may be) two seasons out of three AND win the occaisional match with a P5 team whether from Texas or out of state. Ford - and the BLVD - have got to become a fun place to see a good team play, so much so that locals want tickets even given the parking arrangements. At some point the games will have to move to Jerryworld or the Cottonbowl even because the SMU ticket is so desired. Any discussion about who we "should" play doesn't make much sense until we start showing some evidence of regaining a 0.500 mark overall in the W - L numbers.

Put differently the athletic department has to offer a product that will permit donations, etc., to be considered and when the subject will prompt seventy - seven pages of comment in four months on PONYFANS rather than the thirty - seven about Moody. FTR I am too distant and have never been able to see many games or contribute to the support of SMU sports. I am thankful for those who have kept things going, but I don't expect to live long enough to see much if any changefor the better.

SMU will always be the subject of my loyalty.

GO PONIES.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm

No Quarter wrote:At some point the games will have to move to Jerryworld or the Cottonbowl even because the SMU ticket is so desired.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No Quarter wrote:FTR I am too distant and have never been able to see many games or contribute to the support of SMU sports.

Let me guess, you are living in either Siberia, Tehran, or Mars :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoCal_Pony

Previous

Return to Football