PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to host SFA in 2020

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU to host SFA in 2020

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:23 am

CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: SMU to host SFA in 2020

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:47 am

#sellout
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:09 am

2020 non-conference

Texas State
SFA
North Texas

Tells you all you need to know about the future of SMU football. Also, TCU will drop us soon so expect the UNT game to be our big non-conference local "rivalry" opponent. With Jerry World and the rise of TCU other P5's have zero incentive to play a game at SMU. The only non-conference name opponents we'll play from here on out will be one-off body bag games like Michigan coming up this year. The days of P5's coming to Ford are over.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PonySnob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am

#thanksgeraldturner
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby JasonB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:34 am

If TCU drops us we will pick up another P5 to replace them. Tons of teams want to pop into DFW on a recruiting trip.

Until we can show that we can actually win 10 games in a season, I am fine with 3 easy non-conference games and one P5 game. When our conference becomes too easy, then you schedule up. We aren't even close to that point yet.
JasonB

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Why does TCU want to drop us? Is that for sure? Isn't it a pretty sure sell out in both stadia?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:43 pm

The Economics of P5 Football is that while both stadiums are reasonably filled TCU can replace SMU with an extra home game which cancels out that argument and allows TCU to mine substantial home game revenue from ticket sales including lucrative Frog Club premium seating, parking, tailgate revenue, and extra revenue from Big 12 TV. It no longer makes much economic sense for most every P5 school to do a revolving home/home series with a G5 school--especially those schools that everybody thinks we should play across the country. The ones usually named usually make the least economic sense. More P5 schools will play 3-4 home non-conference games with some lucrative neutral site games. There is certainly no reason for a prominent P5 school to play SMU when they can earn 3 times more playing a neutral game at Jerry World.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:14 pm

i would like a little more explanation. how many "neutral site" games does tcu have scheduled at jerry world? i see the almighty dollar issue and a jerry world type payday a year, but if i were tcu, playing in the tough conference they are in, i don't think i'd be looking to add another top thirty team to replace a long term rival that is usually expected to be a good local media coverage, decent game i can win. at home.

tcu maybe should think about playing texas or a&m at gerry world and soak all those living alumni THEY have. i remember chanting "this game counts!" with 12,000 smu fans in a half empty texas stadium with ut, back in the day, but unless u can fill up that big stadium, its just not a good college football venue and it looses something in translation. is it only about money now?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Haven't checked TCU's non-conference schedule but with 9 conference games, they are somewhat limited in non-conference scheduling and I assume they want at least one "patsy" game. FCS oponents are always good for a home game with no return game necessary. Also nice to have one Division I-FBS school on the schedule that you are reasonably certain you can beat. SMU has been THAT game for years, but they might be a little more concerned going forward. Giving SMU or even UNT a home/home series can still be economical because you can avoid any significant travel costs but who knows what they are thinking?
Charleston Pony

Postby footballdad » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:02 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:2020 non-conference

Texas State
SFA
North Texas

Tells you all you need to know about the future of SMU football. Also, TCU will drop us soon so expect the UNT game to be our big non-conference local "rivalry" opponent. With Jerry World and the rise of TCU other P5's have zero incentive to play a game at SMU. The only non-conference name opponents we'll play from here on out will be one-off body bag games like Michigan coming up this year. The days of P5's coming to Ford are over.

Peers
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:22 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:2020 non-conference

Texas State
SFA
North Texas

Unless they are holding a spot for TCU, SMU needs to add another OOC game. If it isn't TCU, P5 options are dwindling even though it is two years away. Heck, some P5 schools are scheduling games in the 2030's!
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I believe TCU has already played 4 games at Jerry World--I believe Oregon St. BYU LSU and a 4th I can't remember

They play Ohio St. at Jerry World this year. Also played OU last year but that was for Big 12 Championship

TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas, OU, Texas A&M and Arkansas are all playing just about annual games in DFW already-they don't need SMU
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby horsemanx » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Stallion wrote:I believe TCU has already played 4 games at Jerry World--I believe Oregon St. BYU LSU and a 4th I can't remember

Can you check your ticket stubs?
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby northtexsmu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Well, playing SFA, Houston Baptist, Texas State, etc. makes no sense to me. Who cares about these games ? There won't be 5,000 people left in the stands at the end of these games. Can't believe we can't find a P5 team that wouldn't want to come to DFW every other year to get a chance to play in front of recruits in this area. Sure the big winning programs won't play at Ford, but we could easily name several P5 schools who recruit here who would play SMU. They would bring more fans, SMU would draw better for these games, and have a good chance to potentially win in the future.
northtexsmu
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 am

northtexsmu wrote:Well, playing SFA, Houston Baptist, Texas State, etc. makes no sense to me. Who cares about these games ? There won't be 5,000 people left in the stands at the end of these games. Can't believe we can't find a P5 team that wouldn't want to come to DFW every other year to get a chance to play in front of recruits in this area. Sure the big winning programs won't play at Ford, but we could easily name several P5 schools who recruit here who would play SMU. They would bring more fans, SMU would draw better for these games, and have a good chance to potentially win in the future.

Games against SFA and Houston Baptist are about making sure we have at least 6 if not 7 home games every year. There are plenty of P5 schools that would give SMU a game at their place but who will not be willing to do a home/home series, especially those who can draw 50k plus no matter who the opponent. When we take games against programs like Michigan, we have to schedule FCS schools to balance the home/away schedules. Maybe schools like Vandy, Duke, Kansas, etc...will do home/home deals but we are fortunate to have TCU still willing to play us home/home, especially since they now play 9 conference games. In years that they have 5 conference road games, they are not going to want to come to Dallas unless they have 2 other home games lined up and that means they have to schedule some FCS opponent. Our home games against UNT and UTEP have been well attended in the past and we can do home/home series with schools like that. I would not be surprised to see a home/home series with La Tech at some point down the road and as long as SMU is fielding a competitive team, those games should draw close to 25k which is not bad for SMU. Based on our history, home/home series with P5 schools from out of the region have not been huge successes attendance wise so we need to hope we can continue scheduling TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech who have all shown a willingness to do those deals in the past.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football