PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2018 Strength of Schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2018 Strength of Schedule

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am

Hope Arkansas loses at Colorado State on Sept 8 in the Rams' newly renovated stadium.

Like Dr Rick said, UNT is gonna be tough in Sonny's first game on the road. Three wins in September would be fantastic.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm

That game, however, will set the tone for the season. I am sure Sonny knows that and hopefully will be ready. I felt we were a bit lucky to win by so much last year. They are a worthy opponent.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:30 pm

AusTxPony wrote: I felt we were a bit lucky to win by so much last year.

They were the lucky ones, we would have won by a lot more had we not emptied the bench on defense :lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 pm

dr rc wrote:I am not saying that UNT will win the game next year. However, to blame the coaching staff that isn't around anymore when it's blatantly obvious the talent level is in a far better place than it was before they got there is completely foolish.

Morris getting blamed for everything has been a recurring theme for some since he left. I expect to see at least one thread titled "This Is Chad Morris' Fault" after every one of our losses this season.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 pm

sbsmith wrote:
dr rc wrote:I am not saying that UNT will win the game next year. However, to blame the coaching staff that isn't around anymore when it's blatantly obvious the talent level is in a far better place than it was before they got there is completely foolish.

Morris getting blamed for everything has been a recurring theme for some since he left. I expect to see at least one thread titled "This Is Chad Morris' Fault" after every one of our losses this season.

How do you know we're going to have any losses??
One Trick Pony

Postby sbsmith » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:How do you know we're going to have any losses??

The same way I always know..........I looked at the schedule

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Heh heh
One Trick Pony

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am

JasonB wrote:I would flip the percentages on UNT and Navy heading into to the season, but from an outsider perspective I think it is a reasonable expectation record-wise.

Improvements across the board at LB and improved strength program will make our front 7 better than last year, despite the graduations. More maturity, strength, and depth in the secondary will make the defense significantly better overall. Morris' DL and OL recruits coming into maturity is going to make this team the best team on the line of scrimmage for quite a while, especially when you add in the JUCOs. We could use some playmakers at WR, for sure. But I'll take improvements in the line over the WR any day for consistency.

Basically, if Morris recruited as well as we thought, and the coaching is actually better now, we should expect to split non-conference and at least be .500 in conference. UNT, HB, Cincy, UConn, Tulsa, Tulane. I would beat heavy on the over if 5 wins were the line.

On the upside, if you want to be aggressive - the conference schedule is what you want, with only UCF the difficult away game. If the team is actually good next year - coaching is better, Morris kids are ready to play, Benson, Page, TCU kid turn out decent at WR - this is the schedule that you want.

If you think the team sucks and want to squeak into a bowl, last year's schedule is better with easy home games.

If #8 is still our starting QB , the only sure win is HBU
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby SMU89 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Is I35 finished?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

Postby No Quarter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am

pony patrick wrote:

If #8 is still our starting QB , the only sure win is HBU

Will SMU be better with any other QB projected to be on the Hilltop next fall if Hicks goes down? Or is lost for any other reason? Or will it be 2016 redux? Please explain.

I hope no one gets hurt or flunks or decides to follow a girlfriend to another school. I sure don't want to see us start over at QB in the middle of any game.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm

The love for Ben Hicks here is strong.

Does DJ Gillins have a snowball's chance in hell or getting any PT? Sure doesn't look like it.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Obviously some on the board think very little of Hicks, but the flip side is that we don't appear to have anyone on the roster who can beat him out for the starter's job...assuming this coaching staff makes the decision that he is our best QB and he starts against UNT. Gillens at least got some playing time last season. Peavy is the one you have to wonder about. Some had high hopes for him simply based on the fact he was on 'ship at Arkansas, but we sure haven't seen anything from him at SMU. He might be the best athlete among the QBs but we are in trouble if Brown ends up the starter. Hope he gets to RS and grow into the position.
Charleston Pony

Postby leopold » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am

We may need some playmakers at WR and Gillians was one at Wisconsin, apparently. Any chance we move him to WR for the sake of playing time?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am

I am not sure but I thought he left Wisconsin because he did not want to play wide receiver.

Regardless, without healthy feet the best he could hope for is holder for extra points and fgs if he wants on the field.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby skyscraper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Gillins is snakebit/injury prone. Whatever you wanna call it.
When was the last time we had a 3rd year starting QB? I have no issue with Hicks.
skyscraper

Previous

Return to Football