PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA rule change

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NCAA rule change

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:55 am

peruna81 wrote:As ponyte shared a bit ago, Tom Lisle made a career out of onside kicks. He was a toe-kicker, and the practice sessions where he would rocket the ball at front line ST players were legendary scrums.

Banning kickoffs would take an important option away for teams that are trying to come from behind...the rule change to allow a fair catch on a kickoff is already there...just the ball placement will be at the 25. Coaches will adapt strategy,

This is the same reason that I hate the change in NFL XP. It eliminates the fake 2 point conversion.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 am

No Quarter wrote:
mrydel wrote:Apparently some on this board have never been on a kickoff coverage team before. I am for just putting the ball at the 25 and playing the game.

Make it more inclusive, i.e., never played on a team at all, and your observation would be 100% correct.

Stallion wrote:They used to jump balls in Basketball 10 times a game too-you won't miss it.

To each his own, but I don't think you quite have apples and apples there.

I really thought that someone more experienced / knowledgable would comment about the elimination of jump balls, and the lack thereof may prove Stallion's point. But I remember the discussion at the time and think valid still the following observation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-they-use-t ... basketball

The NCAA felt that players with exceptional size of jumping ability were getting an advantage and there was also a concern over the officials' ability to consistently toss the ball fairly between the two players.

There continues to be a lot of discussion about how the possession arrow penalizes the team that made a good defensive play to create a held ball with the offensive player; however, with the subjectivity of officiating many of those situations are just as debatable as to whether or not one player fouled another - it's at the discretion of the official. However, the lack of consistency from game to game is disturbing.

The same website has a link to the uneven matchups in jump ball situations but I don't do Facebook.

I remember one in an SMU game, and think it was the loss to Kansas and Chamberlain. I want to say the jump was called when Chamberlain tied up Bobby Mills. The outcome of the jump need not be mentioned but one person I was with observed that the feet of an enraged Mills feet were as high off the court as Chamberlains. IMO the play might have been an example of biased officiating -and I don't believe there was any doubt on the fifth foul on Krebs.

Having said that, Chamberlain was a great athlete who could have made an impact on several other sports than basketball and volleyball. He was one of the players responsible for changes other than the jump ball rule.

As a fan rather than a former player on any level, I have to agree with JasonB, peruna81 and ponyte about the kick off although mrydell's remark is spot on from everything I've seen or read.

No Quarter
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 pm

No Quarter wrote:
No Quarter wrote:
mrydel wrote:Apparently some on this board have never been on a kickoff coverage team before. I am for just putting the ball at the 25 and playing the game.

Make it more inclusive, i.e., never played on a team at all, and your observation would be 100% correct.

Stallion wrote:They used to jump balls in Basketball 10 times a game too-you won't miss it.

To each his own, but I don't think you quite have apples and apples there.

I really thought that someone more experienced / knowledgable would comment about the elimination of jump balls, and the lack thereof may prove Stallion's point. But I remember the discussion at the time and think valid still the following observation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-they-use-t ... basketball

The NCAA felt that players with exceptional size of jumping ability were getting an advantage and there was also a concern over the officials' ability to consistently toss the ball fairly between the two players.

There continues to be a lot of discussion about how the possession arrow penalizes the team that made a good defensive play to create a held ball with the offensive player; however, with the subjectivity of officiating many of those situations are just as debatable as to whether or not one player fouled another - it's at the discretion of the official. However, the lack of consistency from game to game is disturbing.

The same website has a link to the uneven matchups in jump ball situations but I don't do Facebook.

I remember one in an SMU game, and think it was the loss to Kansas and Chamberlain. I want to say the jump was called when Chamberlain tied up Bobby Mills. The outcome of the jump need not be mentioned but one person I was with observed that the feet of an enraged Mills feet were as high off the court as Chamberlains. IMO the play might have been an example of biased officiating -and I don't believe there was any doubt on the fifth foul on Krebs.

Having said that, Chamberlain was a great athlete who could have made an impact on several other sports than basketball and volleyball. He was one of the players responsible for changes other than the jump ball rule.

As a fan rather than a former player on any level, I have to agree with JasonB, peruna81 and ponyte about the kick off although mrydell's remark is spot on from everything I've seen or read.

Best friend growing up was Chuck Lee, son of Lyndon Lee who faced Chamberlain in the Midwest bracket as well. Lyndon was 6'5", and formidable, but he told us that Chamberlain was simply the best athlete he had ever played against, tall or not. Played for Oklahoma City University.

Size does matter, and the talent matters more. It will be interesting to see how teams adapt to the PC version of football in the coming years.

wait for it...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 pm

peruna81 wrote:

Best friend growing up was Chuck Lee, son of Lyndon Lee who faced Chamberlain in the Midwest bracket as well. Lyndon was 6'5", and formidable, but he told us that Chamberlain was simply the best athlete he had ever played against, tall or not. Played for Oklahoma City University.

Size does matter, and the talent matters more. It will be interesting to see how teams adapt to the PC version of football in the coming years.

The father of your friend Chuck, as you probably know, participated in a good series between OCU and SMU. Abe Lemons at OCU was a good coach who was always quotable. The Dallas papers had no problem publishing interesting articles when his teams came to town.

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/abe_lemons

Rethinking what I wrote above prompts a couple of changes. "Determined" rather than enraged would have been a better word to describe Mills. And Chamberlain was first among athletes I saw play.

And I certainly agree that the future form of football will be very different.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:43 pm

As I recall, and I was there, Sports Illustrated later said Krebs was better in that game than Wilt, but when Krebs fouled out with SMU ahead and 5 min left in the game, it was over. The fans went crazy when they called that bogus foul on Krebs and Matty Bell had to take the floor to stop the noise and things being thrown.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby No Quarter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:24 am

There have been multiple threads / comments on the subject of Krebs and Chamberlain and the foul and the oldest is at least 4 -1/2 years old. Two of them are:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66629&p=903688&hilit=krebs+chamberlain+foul#p903688

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77247&p=1113195&hilit=krebs+chamberlain+foul#p1113195

In addition, and it might be on another board, I told about friends I was with at the game who watched Kansas work out earlier that day. The SMU team was sitting nearby and Krebs was heard to comment that he did not like the way Chamberlain smiled. I did not see the remark in Sports Illustrated mentioned by Arkpony but do recall an SI piece later about a pro game where Krebs got the worst of it in a fight with Chamberlain. I think Krebs had a take no crap reputation as a pro but the bad blood, if any, between Krebs and Chamberlain
started in1957.

I'm not going to walk downstairs to look at the book, but think there was a rather ignorant remark about Chamberlain in the Rotunda that year - something about Wilt not displaying any basketball skills.

Going back to the game itself I also remember the last SMU shot in regulation that did not drop.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:16 pm

well he did throw free throws "like a girl'--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fn1IaTMQM
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby No Quarter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm

A better BB historian perhaps could give us the straight of another memory of mine - that the old rule was not clear about player position when the ball was released, but only where his feet had to be when the play started. Among other things Chamberlain had a big standing long jump. I seem to remember that if he was allowed to jump from the FT line his shot would virtually have been a bunny.

Am I correct in thinking the rule was changed Chamberlain's freshman year before he saw varsity action?

Since we are off on FT's I'll mention another memory from the same era that (again) I may be repeating. I think it was Ron Morris who was a senior and starting guard in 1955 and he had a long string of free throws without a miss at the beginning of the season. The SID commented on it and tried to research any comparable history but did not find much. Had that stat routinely been kept his name might be in the history books as well as in the ID lines under old team pictures.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Always fun to talk about free pitches!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Previous

Return to Football