PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Visit for Courtland Sutton

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Visit for Courtland Sutton

Postby ponyboy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Man, what I'd give for a lazy Sunday afternoon of watching Roger the Dodger, Hollywood Henderson, Golden Richards, Preston Pearson, Lee Roy Jordan, Cliff Harris, Robert Newhouse, Tony Dorsett, Harvey Martin, and the rest of the boys. And Dad yelling at Tom Landry for bending not breaking -- and yelling "DRAW!" every time the opponent attempted a draw play.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:50 pm

ponyboy wrote:Man, what I'd give for a lazy Sunday afternoon of watching Roger the Dodger, Hollywood Henderson, Golden Richards, Preston Pearson, Lee Roy Jordan, Cliff Harris, Robert Newhouse, Tony Dorsett, Harvey Martin, and the rest of the boys. And Dad yelling at Tom Landry for bending not breaking -- and yelling "DRAW!" every time the opponent attempted a draw play.

Wearing sleeves with real stripes!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMUguy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:39 pm

I don't understand the mock drafts that have Sutton sliding to the second round. I know some teams draft to fill needs and some actually tell the truth when they say they take the best player regardless of position, but it's hard to believe he's not a first-round guy. Hope he proves those guys wrong.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby The Falcon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:31 am

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

You've probably been asked about the quote you use to sign off - before.

I grew up 90 mi from Chicago and I was wondering where the quote came from and
what was going on at the time. Just curious.

Hope Courtland goes in 1st round and I hope it is to the Cowboys. Would really enjoy
seeing him play into the future. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him catch passes for
the Ponies.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 am

The quote is from The Blues Brothers with Dan Akkroyd and John Belushi.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 am

No doubt on their way to the cancer center
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:00 pm

SMUguy wrote:I don't understand the mock drafts that have Sutton sliding to the second round. I know some teams draft to fill needs and some actually tell the truth when they say they take the best player regardless of position, but it's hard to believe he's not a first-round guy. Hope he proves those guys wrong.

There isn't a lot of polish in this year's draft at the WR position. They all have flaws.

When I look at a first round draft pick, I want to see BOTH stats and measurables. I don't want a measurables guy who didn't put up stats in college - those are players I take a chance on in the 2nd or 3rd. Same with a guy who puts up great stats but doesn't have the measurables.

Ridley - compare his stats to what Julio Jones put up in college. It doesn't come close. He has good speed but otherwise didn't test out great in the combine. He did not dominate in college, realizing that he had limited QBs.I would not take him in the first round.

DJ Moore - Great stats and tested well. Size is not ideal for an outside player, maybe and outside/slot hybrid like emanual sanders. Not sure I spend a first round pick on a player that might play in the slot, but I think he is worthy for end of first or early second.

DJ Chark - Tested great in many areas, speed/size combo is great. College play was bombs and that is it. Limited number of receptions. I think he is a second round guy because of his lack of reception productivity at the college level.

Kirk - Tested great and nice stats, but a pure slot reciever. IMHO, he tests great on things I want to see from my outside receiver, but not as well on things I want to see in the slot. That is why I would push him to end of second or third round in my book.

Sutton - Tested great for the most part, and great stats. Great hands. Long. Speed is just solid for his size. Doesn't run great routes all the time, but his shuttle testing indicates that he has the ability to run sharp routes. May not be a number 1 receiver because his speed isn't quite there, but even if not he would be a fantastic number 2 Not running a 40 at his pro day was a surprise. If he had run a 4.50 he would be a sure-fire first round pick. If you combine him and Chark, you have a top 5 pick. But I think he will go end of first or early second.

Quinn - very interesting. Great stats, great hands, and his combine stats show he will be able to get open from the slot. Very quietly ran a 4.49 at the SMU pro day, which should get some attention. If you throw his 4.49 time in there, he actually measures out similar to Kirk. Better size than Kirk and has better shuttle times, which are important out of the slot. I actually think he will be a better pro than Kirk. A steal in the third round, IMHO, but I think he won't go until later.

The reality is that there are 5 receivers at the top of the group. I think they are all second round or very end of the first round talent. There is enough need for WR by teams that if one goes early, they could all get pulled up. Conversely, if teams judge on talent alone, you could see the first WR pick fall until the very end of the first round and then they all go in quick succession. Will be interesting to watch. After that rush, I think there will be a big gap before a second run on WR in the third round.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 am

a least one writer speculating that the Cowboys drafting a WR to replace Dez could affect Beasley's job with the team:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018 ... ster-cuts/
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 am

Bummer
One Trick Pony

Postby PonySnob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 am

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 pm

One Trick Pony

Postby friarwolf » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:40 am

He needs to refocus on football or he'll be a full time rapper in a few months..........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:32 am

Charleston Pony wrote: at least one writer speculating

:lol:
Bergermeister

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 am

The route-running criticism is what I've heard from my Cowboy fan buddies. They say Dax needs disciplined route guys. I say punt Dax, get Lamar Jackson and light it up.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby peruna81 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 am

PonySnob wrote:Image

Don't quit your day job...

Keep thinking of the Bruce Willis line when threatened by the bad guy, who said:
"I'm gonna make you scream"

"You gonna play some rap?"
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football