PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is it just me?...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is it just me?...

Postby Maryland78 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Is it just me...or does Sonny Dykes seem to be a great choice as SMU's head coach. He really seems even keeled and knowledgable as a coach...communication seems great between he and players/recruits...recruiting seems to be off to a good start and he is connecting with high school programs...staff looks like they are top notch and working hard.

I'm not an insider, so may not have all the scoop...but interested in others' opinions. The proof will be in the performance. But one example I really liked is I heard him say they worked on the Navy scheme during Spring practice. Now if he can beat Navy that would really be icing on the top! :)
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Re: Is it just me?...

Postby JasonB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Yes, I think he is a great fit. Coaching staff seems really good as well. Could be a perfect storm of talent from Morris and really good coaching.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

He is more appealing to me than Morris was, I felt certain I had just bought a used car every time he opened his mouth. I think it will be important how he gets the kids on his side after all the acrimony. I wish him nothing but success.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:He is more appealing to me than Morris was, I felt certain I had just bought a used car every time he opened his mouth. I think it will be important how he gets the kids on his side after all the acrimony. I wish him nothing but success.

I feel humiliated that I dropped off a case of Redbull and told him that I believed in him lol. I purchased the true coat because they install that at the factory.
One Trick Pony

Postby ojaipony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:27 pm

It's not just you. I love everything I've seen so far. Focusing on toughness, size/strength, fundamentals. Keeping a lot of the sizzle (especially with the IPC and the Ponyupdallas push) and recruiting is going hard. Would love to see us just overpower the teams we should (UNT, etc) and really compete toe to toe with TCU in the trenches (and not just on gimmicks, but real toe to toe). I hope he has a long and very successful career here.
ojaipony

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 pm

To me one of the main differences I see is that coach Dykes wants to be here, and that we weren't just a place to hang until a better job came open.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Terry Webster wrote:To me one of the main differences I see is that coach Dykes wants to be here, and that we weren't just a place to hang until a better job came open.

That remains to be seen if he is successful and builds on what Chad was able to accomplish, but I do hope he is here for many successful years!
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:52 pm

I liked him immediately when I saw him walking around Moody with a Shiner beer
Pony ^

Postby sbsmith » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Terry Webster wrote:To me one of the main differences I see is that coach Dykes wants to be here, and that we weren't just a place to hang until a better job came open.

During the honeymoon phase the coach always seems like he wants his current job forever. Chad and June gave off the same vibe.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:38 pm

sbsmith wrote:

During the honeymoon phase the coach always seems like he wants his current job forever. Chad and June gave off the same vibe.

I think June did initially want to be here. A relative of mine talked to a Morris era assistant coach’s wife their first year here and was told the plan is to move on to a bigger school (I guess it’s possible that was his goal and not Morris’), which I think every fan knew. Dykes may end up leaving if he has success and gets offered 3x what we can pay at another Texas school, but he didn’t take the SMU job with that as his goal.

I think we have a better record in 2018 with Dykes at the helm (let’s be honest, Chad leaving turned out to be a blessing, though it didn’t feel that way in December). I always assumed Morris was begging to get out in 2017 because he was worried about taking a step back in 2018. Dykes’ class was better (and added JUCO / supposedly some grad transfers. Chads class had OL that couldn’t bench their body weight), kept the offense the same, and he improved the entire coaching staff; the extreme upgrade in the defensive coaching talent will make a huge difference by itself. Someone said Morris wanted to get out of the Michigan game, whereas Sonny’s time at La Tech showed he does well in big underdog games
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Sonny and his wife have been very pleasant the several times I’ve seen them walking on the Katy Trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:12 pm

I think Chad is at the SEC level and Dykes is at the AAC for a real good reason. Chad and his staff have 3 times the energy around his program. EXAMPLES: Not one single post about the spring game in about 24 hours on Ponyfans, very little internet presence and Mustang Club donors way down although that could be significantly Basketball related but coming off a Bowl Game still a little disappointing.

Some are also whistling past the fact that our top 3 freshmen recruits fell into Dykes' lap and they basically didn't have other options when they signed-2 were generally considered academic non-qualifiers who may (or may not qualify when the final semester GPA comes in) and another who was dropped by all his top schools because of off-campus behavior. Qualification is determined after graduation not signing date-Great pickups if they qualify as full qualifiers--but keep in mind if they are borderline they might not be eligible as freshman unless they've got a 2.3 core GPA and required 16 core courses. See Proche whose problem was Prime Prep non-qualifying hours. I doubt you can count on building your program with kids that fall into your lap like that.

I really don't see much definite evidence they are burning it up the recruiting trail either sitting on zero commits on April 19 although this isn't a June Jones lazy-ass situation. They got offers out timely and to the right kids. Still need some proof in the pudding. I believe in recruiting momentum and I think just about every school in Texas does too-I'm not a big fan of waiting to see if all your top prospects fall to you when P5 schools fall off. I think recruits start noticing that your class is lagging. Most strong recruiting classes start strong and gain momentum from that start
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BUS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 am

While at the Spring Game I saw school busses. Don't remember that in previous years. The way Sonny was hired made me want to thank SMU for having a plan. When chad looked at Baylor job, SMU planned ahead. First time for everything.

Now, Sonny wants to be here and I here the staff has said things like... I don't want to ever move again... Sounds great but in reality if somebody offers you 3 X salary, you have to take it. Or maybe not if your really happy.

Coaching, D will be way better. My take is we need NG person. A 300+ anchor. I see two on the team now but they are not proven and GT help would be great.

Also want a couple receivers to shine/step up.

It would be great for SMU to win the AAC a few times and keep the staff for 10 years.

Peace be with you.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job. Sonny seems to be aiming a bit higher on recruits - remains to be seen if he can land them. Also i think Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do. We cant get where we want to go waiting for the few three stars who fall through the system and then fill in with 2 stars.

That said - no idea what we have yet. Liked everything I have seen but don't claim to be an expert. Everyone always falls for the new coach who will be the savior (and they are falling for it in Arkansas as we speak). I always liked Chad and don't have a beef with him leaving, except he could have handled the announcement better. SMU and Chad both did fine with the association. I don't see Arkansas being any different within their conference going forward though.

To quote Ali - everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face.
gostangs

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Stallion wrote:I think Chad is at the SEC level and Dykes is at the AAC for a real good reason. Chad and his staff have 3 times the energy around his program. EXAMPLES: Not one single post about the spring game in about 24 hours on Ponyfans, very little internet presence and Mustang Club donors way down although that could be significantly Basketball related but coming off a Bowl Game still a little disappointing.

Some are also whistling past the fact that our top 3 freshmen recruits fell into Dykes' lap and they basically didn't have other options when they signed-2 were generally considered academic non-qualifiers who may (or may not qualify when the final semester GPA comes in) and another who was dropped by all his top schools because of off-campus behavior. Qualification is determined after graduation not signing date-Great pickups if they qualify as full qualifiers--but keep in mind if they are borderline they might not be eligible as freshman unless they've got a 2.3 core GPA and required 16 core courses. See Proche whose problem was Prime Prep non-qualifying hours. I doubt you can count on building your program with kids that fall into your lap like that.

I really don't see much definite evidence they are burning it up the recruiting trail either sitting on zero commits on April 19 although this isn't a June Jones lazy-ass situation. They got offers out timely and to the right kids. Still need some proof in the pudding. I believe in recruiting momentum and I think just about every school in Texas does too-I'm not a big fan of waiting to see if all your top prospects fall to you when P5 schools fall off. I think recruits start noticing that your class is lagging. Most strong recruiting classes start strong and gain momentum from that start

Clueless as usual !! If you knew anyone on the inside of this program , you would know that Coach Dykes and
staff have much more credibility with the players , staff , and administration than Morris and Co. had. They actually
know how to coach up and get the most out of our kids !!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Next

Return to Football