PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is it just me?...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is it just me?...

Postby oilpony » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Same old same old
oilpony
All-American

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
Stallion wrote:I think Chad is at the SEC level and Dykes is at the AAC for a real good reason. Chad and his staff have 3 times the energy around his program. EXAMPLES: Not one single post about the spring game in about 24 hours on Ponyfans, very little internet presence and Mustang Club donors way down although that could be significantly Basketball related but coming off a Bowl Game still a little disappointing.

Some are also whistling past the fact that our top 3 freshmen recruits fell into Dykes' lap and they basically didn't have other options when they signed-2 were generally considered academic non-qualifiers who may (or may not qualify when the final semester GPA comes in) and another who was dropped by all his top schools because of off-campus behavior. Qualification is determined after graduation not signing date-Great pickups if they qualify as full qualifiers--but keep in mind if they are borderline they might not be eligible as freshman unless they've got a 2.3 core GPA and required 16 core courses. See Proche whose problem was Prime Prep non-qualifying hours. I doubt you can count on building your program with kids that fall into your lap like that.

I really don't see much definite evidence they are burning it up the recruiting trail either sitting on zero commits on April 19 although this isn't a June Jones lazy-ass situation. They got offers out timely and to the right kids. Still need some proof in the pudding. I believe in recruiting momentum and I think just about every school in Texas does too-I'm not a big fan of waiting to see if all your top prospects fall to you when P5 schools fall off. I think recruits start noticing that your class is lagging. Most strong recruiting classes start strong and gain momentum from that start

Clueless as usual !! If you knew anyone on the inside of this program , you would know that Coach Dykes and
staff have much more credibility with the players , staff , and administration than Morris and Co. had. They actually
know how to coach up and get the most out of our kids !!

:lol: :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:03 pm

gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job. Sonny seems to be aiming a bit higher on recruits - remains to be seen if he can land them. Also i think Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do. We cant get where we want to go waiting for the few three stars who fall through the system and then fill in with 2 stars.

That said - no idea what we have yet. Liked everything I have seen but don't claim to be an expert. Everyone always falls for the new coach who will be the savior (and they are falling for it in Arkansas as we speak). I always liked Chad and don't have a beef with him leaving, except he could have handled the announcement better. SMU and Chad both did fine with the association. I don't see Arkansas being any different within their conference going forward though.

To quote Ali - everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face.

actually, I think that was Tyson's quote...unless he stole it from Ali?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job. Sonny seems to be aiming a bit higher on recruits - remains to be seen if he can land them. Also i think Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do. We cant get where we want to go waiting for the few three stars who fall through the system and then fill in with 2 stars.

That said - no idea what we have yet. Liked everything I have seen but don't claim to be an expert. Everyone always falls for the new coach who will be the savior (and they are falling for it in Arkansas as we speak). I always liked Chad and don't have a beef with him leaving, except he could have handled the announcement better. SMU and Chad both did fine with the association. I don't see Arkansas being any different within their conference going forward though.

To quote Ali - everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face.

actually, I think that was Tyson's quote...unless he stole it from Ali?

I think you are right - I stand corrected.
gostangs

Postby smitty329 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Stallion wrote:I think Chad is at the SEC level and Dykes is at the AAC for a real good reason. Chad and his staff have 3 times the energy around his program. EXAMPLES: Not one single post about the spring game in about 24 hours on Ponyfans, very little internet presence and Mustang Club donors way down although that could be significantly Basketball related but coming off a Bowl Game still a little disappointing.

Some are also whistling past the fact that our top 3 freshmen recruits fell into Dykes' lap and they basically didn't have other options when they signed-2 were generally considered academic non-qualifiers who may (or may not qualify when the final semester GPA comes in) and another who was dropped by all his top schools because of off-campus behavior. Qualification is determined after graduation not signing date-Great pickups if they qualify as full qualifiers--but keep in mind if they are borderline they might not be eligible as freshman unless they've got a 2.3 core GPA and required 16 core courses. See Proche whose problem was Prime Prep non-qualifying hours. I doubt you can count on building your program with kids that fall into your lap like that.

I really don't see much definite evidence they are burning it up the recruiting trail either sitting on zero commits on April 19 although this isn't a June Jones lazy-ass situation. They got offers out timely and to the right kids. Still need some proof in the pudding. I believe in recruiting momentum and I think just about every school in Texas does too-I'm not a big fan of waiting to see if all your top prospects fall to you when P5 schools fall off. I think recruits start noticing that your class is lagging. Most strong recruiting classes start strong and gain momentum from that start

smitty329
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:37 pm

BUS wrote:While at the Spring Game I saw school busses. Don't remember that in previous years. The way Sonny was hired made me want to thank SMU for having a plan. When chad looked at Baylor job, SMU planned ahead. First time for everything.

Now, Sonny wants to be here and I here the staff has said things like... I don't want to ever move again... Sounds great but in reality if somebody offers you 3 X salary, you have to take it. Or maybe not if your really happy.

Coaching, D will be way better. My take is we need NG person. A 300+ anchor. I see two on the team now but they are not proven and GT help would be great.

Also want a couple receivers to shine/step up.

It would be great for SMU to win the AAC a few times and keep the staff for 10 years.

Peace be with you.

Chad had buses of recruits show up his first spring. They were all over the place. Toned it down the other two springs.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Energy isn't everything. Coaching matters too.

Chad got early commitments because of his great relationships with HS coaches - they told him who was going to be the big star in the fall who hadn't played yet, and he got those players into camp and offered them.

I don't think it is fair to claim everything fell into Dykes' lap. We made a good hire straight up to hire the recruiting stud first, and Dykes had relationships with that JUCO. They did an excellent job turning around a quality class in a short amount of time.

I'm not too worried about the lack of commitments right now - it would obviously be great to have some, but they are in the process of aiming high and building relationships. I'd actually panic more if they were trying to just get players on board and getting commitments from unknowns.

Looks like our Camps are in June - is that a bit late? Also noticed that we are teaming up with UT - not sure if we have done that before...
JasonB

Postby No Quarter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 am

smitty329: Given the strange colors seen in the picture you posted are you hinting that the TCU program is foundering?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:33 pm

No Quarter wrote:smitty329: Given the strange colors seen in the picture you posted are you hinting that the TCU program is foundering?

Nope - just an ode to Stallions consistent glass half empty comments.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:01 pm

ponypatrick wrote:

Clueless as usual !! If you knew anyone on the inside of this program , you would know that Coach Dykes and
staff have much more credibility with the players , staff , and administration than Morris and Co. had. They actually
know how to coach up and get the most out of our kids !!

hey kid-you're going to learn this some day-those closest to the program are the least objective. There has never been a year SMU players haven't predicted Championships and bowls.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 pm

gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job.

Amen....heck Chad had a bunch of guys with very little college experience if they even had any college coaching experience.

gostangs wrote:Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do.

Yes Sonny had to do something with the bare shelves Chad left him with. Chad's so called "great recruiting" may haunt us next Fall.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:10 am

Morris brought some of the Clemson staff and some of them were grad assistants he had at Clemson. Being part of a high caliber P5 program counts as experience in my book. Randall Joyner doesn't have a lot of experience, but we like that hire, right?

As for Morris leaving the cupboard bare...let's remember he took the best "would be" 2018 SMU recruits with him to Arkansas. Morris and those who came before him have had difficulty recruiting 4 star guys to play at SMU and in the AAC where realistically, you have no chance of competing for a National Championship. Top talent usually wants to play at the highest level possible and in front of more than 10,000 fans.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job.

Amen....heck Chad had a bunch of guys with very little college experience if they even had any college coaching experience.

gostangs wrote:Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do.

Yes Sonny had to do something with the bare shelves Chad left him with. Chad's so called "great recruiting" may haunt us next Fall.

I'm not sure if you can say that Chad left the cupboards totally bare, but it was a blessing in disguise that Sonny Dykes was able to come in and see what he had and more importantly, what he didn't have during Bowl preparation. After surveying the talent level on the team, Sonny Dykes immediately signed three Junior College offensive lineman, 1 Juco linebacker and a Juco cornerback. He also saw the dire situation left to him at wide receiver, and is hoping to address that with transfers. If everything goes well, counting jucos and transfers, he will probably add 10 players to fill gaping holes going into the 2018 season. Chad only took 2 SMU recruits to Arkansas with him, Sonny Dykes also said...no thanks, to some of the Chad Morris 2018 recruits. I think even Stallion would agree, Chad failed at recruiting defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby TidePony » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:48 am

This ^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 am

It's a bit troubling that Sonny and his staff have repeatedly talked about how shocked they were that the team was so physically and mentally weak. Sonny has also spoke about how small the players are. I guess we'll see how well "Chad's great recruiting" does this Fall.
:roll:
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football